Down in the dumps

Options
I'm feeling really down in the dumps today, I've been on MFP now about 9 weeks and the scales gone down 21lbs but the last three weeks it has stayed the same. I know muscle weighs more than fat etc but I have taken a picture of myself today and put it up against a picture I took three weeks ago and when I first started and seeing no difference, they r in my pictures, one today is in white bra, feel like giving up.

Replies

• kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having a rough day. Everyday of good choices only helps! My weight often will stay the same for a few weeks before it drops a few pounds. You can do it! Just keep going!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    First .. you are a girl. Unless you take "stuff" .. you are not going to be gaining muscle unless you do some serious heavy lifting and even then, it will be truly slow.

So .. first, you need to concentrate on the things that matter .. how you look in the mirror or how your clothes feel. The whole scale thing is just dumb and unfortunately that is how MFP is built but I believe it does more harm than good for many many people.

You should be concerned with your body composition / measurements etc and not that ****** number on the scale.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    9 weeks and 21 lbs!!
    Holy cow, you're killing it :D

Remember that weight loss isn't linear, and it often comes off much faster in the beginning.
    So you can't expect to keep losing it as fast as you once did.
    It is totally normal to have a stall for a few weeks, then see a big drop.

However your methods are still effective and just need to keep good patience :)

Think of how far you've already made it in such a short time! You're on a total roll. Don't stop! We believe in you~
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to give up after knowing you've made progress already? You can do this! One of the hardest things to learn about weight loss and health improvement is that it is NOT a constant, steady line. It is sporadic. You'll have good days and bad. Just tell yourself that you accept that and decide that you'll be okay with it. You'll feel better, I promise!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If you have any clothes that you were wearing when you started that were tight, put them on. They are bound to be looser. I find that motivating personally.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed so I can't see what your calorie intake is.
    Are you weighing and measuring your food and not just eyeballing? Are you logging everything you consume? What is your calorie intake? Are you doing any cardio or resistance / weight training? Did you set your intake based on TDEE minus 10 or 20 percent?
    I'm not nitpicking, truly, it's just there isn't a lot of information in your post.
    Perhaps one of these is missing, or not completely accurate. If they are all there and you are logging faithfully and accurately, then, have you taken measurements as well? The tape sometimes shows things the scale does not.
    Lastly, have you had a physical recently, with all of the appropriate blood tests to rule out any medical conditions?
    In the end, don't get too hung up on the scale. If you are making good choices and improving your health, the scale will catch up.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing fantastic. That's a pretty great amount to have been able to drop in 9 weeks.

Weight loss, while not linear, is all about the caloric deficit. If you are willing to open up your diary (just go to settings>diary settings>scroll the bottom and hit public) then people may be able to give you some advice based on the amount of calories you're eating, your macros, and even what your exercise plan is (if you have one).
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    21 lbs in 9 weeks is great! That's more than 2 lbs a week. You're killin it.

Just be patient and keep working at it. It will move again.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing fantastic. That's a pretty great amount to have been able to drop in 9 weeks.

Weight loss, while not linear, is all about the caloric deficit. If you are willing to open up your diary (just go to settings>diary settings>scroll the bottom and hit public) then people may be able to give you some advice based on the amount of calories you're eating, your macros, and even what your exercise plan is (if you have one).

THIS. Especially the "not linear" part. You gotta beleive....

Stick with it.
  • tweedledee16
    tweedledee16 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I find that my eyes automatically go to the places that they used to when I was at my heaviest . Sometimes those areas that we don't see a change in are one's we'll always focus on. Try looking at the bigger picture. You've definitely made GREAT progress in a short amount of time, and focusing on the NSVs give you a much more positive outlook on where you are. Think of where you are now, and where you were....That's why I have my ticker set on Pounds Lost instead of Pounds to Go....I want to look back and see how well I've done, not how far I have to go. Stay positive, don't give up! :)
  • revelationmaster
    revelationmaster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dear Down,
    I'm a 71 year old man who was a very active person (tennis pro), but since I retired I started to gain weight until I was up to 201 pounds. That's a lot for a guy 5 feet 5 inches tall. I am low carb dieting, and am exercising 6 days a week at WOW. I also walk at least one mile a day and a brisk pace (3 miles per hour). I have been on this diet for the better part of four months and have lost 22 pounds. My goal is 45-50 pounds. I am pretty muscular from tennis, but I'm ignoring that and working on my core. My arms and legs are fine. I can't believe what 22 pounds have done for me. You are doing well. I see a dietician every month and a half and she thinks I'm doing outstandingly. Don't give up; you will slow down, but maybe you should pick up the pace of exercising. If you have been doing 100 crunches, do 20 more. If you walk on the treadmill for a mile, do a mile and a half. Make sure you watch the pasta and cheese, which were my downfall. Remember, the more calories you burn, the more of a normal diet you can enjoy. Good luck and don't go down with the ship.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    21 pounds in 9 weeks is amazing, you have nothing to be upset about. This is all about patience and putting in the work. Even my weight stalls every once in a while :). Just keep going, you're doing great.