Diet after Gall Bladder Removal

Options
Hello,
I had my gallbladder removed last week. Before surgery I had lost 75 pounds with a combination of Weight Watchers and then Atkins. I was told by my surgeon that moving forward Atkins would not be the best diet for me. I still have 25 pounds to lose and was wondering if anyone has any tips on what kind of diet worked for you to lose weight after surgery in regards to fat, carb, and protein intake?
Thanks,
Jess

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have not had mine out, but suffer from moderate overwork of my GB when I eat in a certain way. Your gallbladder is there to hold bile produced by your liver to aid in digestion, and the bile's primary function is to break down fat. When you don't have a gallbladder and eat high fat foods (or meals that contain a larger ratio of fat to carbs/protein/fiber) you may experience something that is called "dumping." I don't want to be crazy graphic, but basically you will have to run to the bathroom shortly after eating a high fat meal.

Weight loss will be accomplished through a calorie deficit with or without a gallbladder. I just really suggest that you watch your fat intake. I am not saying to completely cut out fat or eat specifically low-fat foods, just to make sure that you are getting a good macro split for eat meal - which I guess is advice that everyone should follow. I have a friend and a couple family members who have had theirs removed and have heard embarrassing stories about either rushing to the bathroom or not making it to the bathroom.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago. I was never given any specific diet information by my doctors due to it. I was told that many people don't have any negative side effects for having it removed. I've seen this to be true with a few people I know that had theirs out. They live life exactly the same way as before.

Now, for me, I've had a few side effects. Nothing serious, but if I eat too much fat too often, I will be sick (TMI: diarrhea and nausea from too much bile). But, that only happens when I really throw caution to the wind, like eating a ton of fried food the day after I had burgers and fries. It happens, but not often, especially now that I'm trying to lose weight. I also generally have looser stools than before. Sorry for all the graphic info, but I'd rather be honest about it.

Basically, you may have zero side effects or you may be more like me. You should be mindful to not go crazy on your fat intake, but the general settings on MFP is fine. I tend to be about 30 - 40% fat and that amount doesn't bother me. Believe me, you'll know if you've overdone it, so just listen to your body.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 2 years ago. I was told to go very low fat for the first week or so, and then gradually add it back in. I wasn't gradual about it and in retrospect that was kind of dumb. The "dumping" thing is no fun (especially when it comes on very suddenly and you're stuck in traffic or something), but you learn very quickly what triggers it. I really limit fried foods because that's a definite trigger for me. Also, if I don't drain ground beef well or get a little heavy-handed with the cooking oil, I may have issues. Very rarely I'll have issues with stuff like ice cream, but it's so infrequent I sometimes wonder if that's an entirely different issue.

I follow a carb-moderate approach (similar to a pre-diabetic, no more than 30 carbs at breakfast, 45 for lunch and dinner, 15 for snacks) and I try to get as much protein as possible. I kind of treat fat the same as carbs...not too much at one time, spread out over the course of the day.

ETA: My macros are set at 40% fat, 35% carb, 25% protein. I'm seeing steady (3/4-1 1/2 pound per week) weight loss.
    You'll still be able to lose weight. Again, you'll figure out very quickly how your body reacts to certain foods and food combinations. Everyone is a little different. Good luck with your surgery!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Similar to posters above, I have not had problems post-removal.

I have only gotten sick once, and that was after two days of absolutely horrendous eating, so I totally deserved what I got...

Everyone has different reactions, I was cautioned by my surgeon to be careful in the weeks/months after surgery. If you do find yourself struggling with side effects after that, he did mention that there are some medicines and such that they can try to alleviate some of the "intestinal distress" that sometimes happens.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 5 years ago, right when I was hitting the 100 pounds lost mark. The doctor told me to watch spicy food and high fat food, but that I may not have any problems. Luckily I haven't had a problem. I ate pretty bland food for the first 2 weeks or so and went back to my normal diet. I love spicy food, so I am happy that I haven't had any problems.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sloopy
    sloopy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed 3 1/2 years ago and still have trouble figuring out what foods to stay away from. Some can eat pizza the day after surgery and had no problem others had problems with salad. Do want works for you.:smile:
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out in 2005 and have never followed any specific diet. I was initially told that if I ate too much fat, I might have problems, but I never have. (And I don't eat much in the way of fat anyway)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Low fat. That's it. :)
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed more years ago than I want to think about. It was the old way, with a full incision, a week in the hospital and a six week recovery.

No one told me that there might be side effects.

The only thing that I suffer is having the runs after certain meals. I have never paid a lot of attention to what foods trigger it, for me. It gets better as time goes on, but I still have the problem. When mother nature calls, you have to answer right away. :wink: