Getting overwhelmed with meal prep/planning and macros?

Options
I always try to meal plan and make grocery lists, but it always overwhelms me because I have to plan my meals according to my calories. I have hypothyroidism and I read something that recommends 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fat, I don't know how to plan my calories accordingly.

How do you guys stop yourself from getting so overwhelmed? And what's an easy way to plan out your meal prep to go along with your calories and macros! Thanks!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    LIsts make me happy so I don't feel overwhelmed but that being said....

I plan my meals based on what I did get for groceries not get groceries based on meal plans.

I get groceries on Saturday or Sunday usually and then sit down Sunday evening and plan my meals accordingly.

To ensure I am hitting my macros (protien then fat then carbs) I start with my meat then move to my sides, staying in goal with calories of course.

Then after all of my meals/snacks are entered I see where I have to tweek them. For example if I am good on protien (maybe over) and I am over on fats but low on carbs I will switch out some of the steak for more potatoes/fries, or if I see my fats are high I will switch some stuff over to light versions. (which I have in my house yes)

Typically my breakfasts are similar (summer is smooties/fall winter is eggs/bacon), my lunches are usually leftovers from the day before dinner and dinner is what we haven't had in a while...

If my husband is working nights it's seafood...if he isn't working at all steak (he bbq's a good steak) or a beer chicken, something that takes some time....
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I go through the ads Sat morning and plan my dinners for the week...which I post on the fridge. Then I log the dinners in advance so that I can plan the rest of the day around them. I do like to cook so I have prelogged a couple of stock dinners under "my meals" and have also entered my own recipes. This took time in the beginning but now is a great time saver. The preplanning a weeks worth of dinners also is a timesaver because you don't have to think about it during your busy week days, no standing and staring at the open fridge wondering what to fix.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I used to try and plan meals and meet my macros daily. Like you, I got overwhelmed. Now, I just eat what I want, when I want it, log it and let the cals fall where they may. I don't keep track of macros any more. Caveat - I've been at this awhile (lost my first 100 lbs.) so I've learned what works for me and what doesn't.

My biggest trick - only purchase healthy items that you enjoy. That way they are on hand and you don't have to worry so much.

Good luck to you!
  • reemer884
    reemer884 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I came across this site and it's definitely helpful with meal planning: http://www.eatthismuch.com/
  • tmarcz
    tmarcz Posts: 4
    Options
    I came across this site and it's definitely helpful with meal planning: http://www.eatthismuch.com/

Thanks, it really is!
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I like lists, so I don't get too overwhelmed. I also like numbers a lot so weighing and macros don't bother me.

I usually grocery shop 2x a week. I find that otherwise my food won't stay fresh long enough.

When I start planning, I go through my Pinterest to find some yummy new recipes I saved. Next I enter what I'm thinking of eating into the recipe box on MFP to make sure something isn't outrageous. Then I plan my meals around my workout days and if anything is coming up where I know I will be wagon more. For example, we are having a pot luck this Monday so I know I'll be eating a ton lol. I made my dinner for that evening very low cal.

I do struggle with my macros, particularly my protein, as I'm a vegan. So, I just try to be aware of that and street clear of foods that have very little protein. I also try to make sure to leave room for a protein bar with 20 grams of protein.

I find it's helpful if I log my food ahead of time.. Either what I know I'll eat throughout the day and for dinner or even days in advance. That way, as someone else said, I can plan the rest of my day around what already accounted for.

I'm a person who really like structure, so this works well for me