C25K - Couch to 5 K training suggestion?

Options
I've been wanting to try the Couch to 5K program. Is there anyway to do it without a treadmill and without running outside? (I'm in MN, the high tomorrow is 1 degree F) Any ideas? Would walking/jogging/running in place even be worth trying?

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible with a treadmill, just might be a bit harder to slow down and speed up on the treadmill, but yeah...it should be possible. I did C25K last fall and was great! I'm running my 3rd race in a couple of weeks.
  • happymom1197
    Options
    You might check with a few high schools in your area. Some of them have running tracks that are open to the public during certain times. Just a thought:)
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Running in place may not be very effective, I would try to find somewhere like happymom suggested. It will be easier for you to track distance and make sure you are getting the burn you want (though running in place can be very intense).
    If you're not married to doing C25K right now, I might find a mall or a wal-mart to walk around in until the weather becomes more agreeable for walking/running outside.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I can't offer much help as I'm working on training for this myself! However, if you are on livejournal this community http://community.livejournal.com/couch_to_5k/ is INCREDIBLY helpful. They have pleanty of great advise and helpful members and reading through old posts helps a lot.

ETA: You could find a gym that has a track to run on now that I think of it. I go to our student rec center and run on their (fortunately indoor) track.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Running in place is just not the same. You aren't working the same exact leg muscles bc u don't have a stride going. I would wait until spring and in the meantime maybe go power walking in the mall like someone else said.