A little help from my friends ?

Options
Dairy is open....

I seem to be missing something as I've done nothing but steadily gain since May, thought maybe one of you could spot something I'm missing..... I know I have my splurges(as well I've lost the majority of my weight so I can have a few goodies) but, 7/10 meals are how they should be..... I'm getting a couple strength training/circuit type workouts in a week plus plenty of cardio/ steps a day most of the time... I do the lower carb things diet wise, I try to stay under 100-125net carbs a day and get as much protein as I can... I can't really cut daily calories much as I'm already hungry before breaks and lunches...

Thanks

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're overestimating your calorie burn, assuming you are weighing or at least measuring out your food and then logging every single bite.

MFP is really optimistic when it comes to burn, I just ignore it and usually put about half what it says because I know about what I burn on a walk or run from several years of having done it. And even HRMs can be off, too. Even really good ones.

If I'm correct, shaving a couple hundred off that estimate each workout should start showing results again, if not, shave a little more off.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How much of a gain? Over what specific period?

What kind of deficit are you aiming for?

My thought without more information is similar to Meerataila's. A lot of your burn seems to be Fitbit adjustments, and they seem pretty high, especially since at least sometimes you have walking logged separately. I use a Fitbit and have generally found it accurate, but with adjustments that high is there a risk that you are double-counting? Also, usually higher adjustments like that mean that you are on sedentary, and it wouldn't give me anywhere near 1650 base on sedentary, so I'm assuming that you are (appropriately, not criticizing at all) on a lower deficit, which means really small errors could put you in maintenance or over. Also, I don't see any negative adjustments (I only looked back a week), which if you are on sedentary would be normal but if on a higher activity level might be throwing you off.

Can you see what your weekly deficit is supposed to be and actually is?

Nothing obvious to me in the logging and the bigger point is that you've been doing this for a while successfully, so nothing major there should have changed. Have you readjusted for your most recent losses or changed recently to a narrower deficit where errors that didn't matter before might start to make a difference? That latter could actually be worth thinking about, or any more recent (last few months, going back to maybe the spring) changes.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale for everything solid. 2 slices of bread, 1 tortilla, etc. type items are often higher in weight than the label says by 10-20%. Also, 1/2 avacado? 1/2 apple? How much is that?

Some days you're ahead of your goal, somedays you're behind it. I see you're logging some activities in addition to using a Fitbit. Could that be leading to double-dipping? As in your Fitbit giving you credit for walking (or other things) and you logging calories for them as well?

Seems your MFP goal deficit has you to eat about 1650 per day before exercise. Your exercise calories are very high. Perhaps aim for 1650-2000 for 4 weeks and recheck the scale. You say you don't want to cut calories - but if you're gaining weight your option is to continue gaining or cut calories. Have half of a donut or 1/2 a pack of cookies, not a whole donut & some cookies. For a sweet tooth, try a plum or some figs. Have a salad (easily under 100 calories) to add bulk to lunch, dinner.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take a lot of splurges to go over your calories. It doesn't take a lot of calories to slowly gain weight. Especially if you don't count them well.

Redouble on the basics. 7/10 is not a great ratio for weight loss.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If the gain has been happening for a long, long time, I'd start underestimating my burn and overestimating my calories. Could be you aren't measuring foods accurately (everyone on this site says to get a scale), too. Haven't looked at your diary, though.

ETA: Oh yeah, the 7/10 thing has to go. For a long time, I'd eat great Monday through Thursday and not measure Friday through Sunday. Turns out my splurges (overages on those days) were way over my underages during the week, so I kept gaining weight. The only way for me to break this was to be consistent and measure it every day. My "splurges" now are eating at maintenance, instead of under. GOOD LUCK!
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks

I do weight and measure everything so I know that's accurate. Fitbit will subtract any calories if I add and activity, and I wear a heart rate monitor when I work out.I know they aren't perfect..but better than what MFP says.
    I did find out this morning, since I was running late, that a bowl of all bran will hold me till break. So going to start with replacing that instead of the breakfast burrito. So that will save some calories. ..guess I'm back to 10/10 and no splurging. .I do usually have 1/2 of something as it is, as I SharE with the boyfriend lol...
    So
    Thanks
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't read other people's food diaries.

If you're gaining, you have to eat less, exercise more or both.