First 5k -- Training plan or no?

Options
I know that for longer runs like a half or full marathon you need a training plan to get you prepared to run that distance. But with a 5k, is a training plan absolutely necessary? Or is it better to just get out there a few times a week and run/walk at your own pace? I find the structure of 5k plans a little too limiting, and I have the Runkeeper app to keep track of things like speed and distance so I know where I started and where I need to go.

Replies

• FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Linasrunning
    Options
    First of all, great that you have decided to try a 5k!

Your question is rather difficult to answer as I don't know your fitness level. If you have a good physical base to start with training is going to be easier (natrually) than for a person that is not used to any kind of cardio training.

If you are unsure, why don't you try go out and run a 5K today? If you can not manage it comfortably I would 100% recomend you to look into a training plan. Training plans, such as C25K is made to not only allow you to manage a 5K race but to actually build up the strenght you need in a safe way and you will avoid any injury.

A training program is also great because it allows you to see the progress you're making in numbers, which may be important mentally.

I'd be happy to help you if you have further questions!

Best of luck!

Lina
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Lots of others may disagree, but my approach to running is very simple. I put on my shoes and I run. I don't do tempo runs, speedwork, fartleks, etc. I just run. And I try to run as far as I can with the time that I have. I didn't start looking at training plans until I started running 30 and 50k trail races. And even then, I ran more intuitively and didn't follow the plans exactly. I will never win a race... but I am a finisher... and I like keeping my running simple, zen and therapeutic.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You know yourself best. If you can train yourself, go for it. It's not an overly long distance and you don't really have to have short runs, long runs, etc. with a 5k the way you do when training for long distances.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    If you are unsure, why don't you try go out and run a 5K today?

Exactly!! Just get out there and do it... my first marathon was a 26 mile solo training run on the trails....
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Im going to agree with the ones who say run with intuition...to a point.

if you feel like you need to go out with a plan and every run should have a purpose, in other words you need structure....then yes follow a plan...if not then just go till you get to the 5k mark

i loosely follow training plans...usually to have a target mileage...but i do deviat on the type of run i do on a particular day.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you feel confident enough to go out there and just give it a go, then don't worry about the plan. I didn't follow one when I started running.

But couch to 5k type plans can be really helpful if you need guidance about how much to do and how quickly to build it up, etc.

Good luck. Running is awesome!
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Personally, as a total NON runner, I'm loving the Couch to 5K app. The idea of putting on my shoes and running for blocks just makes me sink a little further onto my couch. I don't know what your motivations are, but knowing that I'm building up my endurance slowly and getting into the swing of it with a 'virtual coach' is super helpful to me! :) I know they have 10k and marathon apps as well that I plan on using! Best of luck with your run :)
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I loved C25K, set me up for my 5k really easily.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    The idea of putting on my shoes and running for blocks just makes me sink a little further onto my couch.

Lol! Well...when you put it THAT way... I can't run like that very much either. I usually just take off down the side of a road... or hit the trails.... I am lucky because I have miles and miles and miles of awesome, beautiful trails five minutes from my house... I don't think I could run "for blocks"...lol
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your personality type and your fitness ability. I'm a pretty athletic person, BUT i need some kind of program to follow to 1) gage my progress, and 2) make sure I'm not doing too little/much.
    So the C25K plan is great for me.
    But if you hate that kind of 'Do this, now do that' plan then just getting out there might be best.
    Regardless of what you choose, always listen to your body.
    Never run through the pain, make sure you're well hydrated, have good running shoes, and that you're properly warmed up pre-run :)
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The idea of putting on my shoes and running for blocks just makes me sink a little further onto my couch.

Lol! Well...when you put it THAT way... I can't run like that very much either. I usually just take off down the side of a road... or hit the trails.... I am lucky because I have miles and miles and miles of awesome, beautiful trails five minutes from my house... I don't think I could run "for blocks"...lol

I'm jealous that you live next to running trails! I live next to a motorway :sad:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your fitness level. Are you someone who can get out there are run a full 5k or are you struggling to do closer to 3 right now?

Personally, I hate super detailed training program like couch to 5k. I tried to do it three times, failed miserably. It's not my running style, it's not how I like to run, and I found that the first couple weeks weren't touching the fitness level I had, so it just felt awkward. I didn't need to walk 30 seconds to run 30.

I am however setting up my own training plans now to a degree. I can't run 5k, but I can run about 2.5 now, where I was struggling to run 1k three weeks ago. I do things that work for me, like running what I can and learning about my breathing patterns and what tempo works for me. I run as far as I can and push myself each time, and then try to do some interval walking/running for as long as I feel comfortable, but since I don't have a little thing in my ear saying "you must walk for 30 seconds before you start running again" often my slow downs are only 5-10 seconds before I'm off to a jog again.

You've just got to figure out what's right for you. But if you are going to do a 5k, I would recommend getting used to running that distance, obviously. So working towards being able to do that a few days a week for a few weeks leading up to any sort of actual 5k race would probably be smart. I'm hoping to run my first one in October.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    OP, i am so glad you posted this question - I just agreed to run a 5K with a friend in May, and felt like I had no idea where to start...so although I have nothing helpful to add, I can say, thank you for posting this, as the answers you have gotten have helped me :)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Well, I definitely can't run a 5k distance yet -- I can't even run a mile without struggling, lol. I guess I will stick to my app and try to be more patient.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you want out of it. One can easily train themselves to run a 5K or any other K for that matter without a training template...but results are generally better when following a properly programmed training regimen. If you don't care about time or anything, it really doesn't matter.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it all depends on what *you* want from your 5k. If you want to reach a specific time, you will have better success with a training plan. If this is your first and your primary goal is to finish, do whichever method (training plan or none) that you are more comfortable with and will stick to. I would recommend to not attempt to do too much too quickly.

With the 5k being a relatively shorter distance, an easy "non plan" would be to put on your shoes and start jogging slowly. When you need to stop, take a walk break. When you recover your breath, start jogging again and repeat. No app required.

You will be able to go further over time as you build up your cardio base and learn to time your breathing. You'll be covering 5k in no time..

HTH and Good luck!
  • whateverfloats
    Options
    Not sure if this is helpful but because I dislike structured plans I'm just doing 5K every 2 or 3 days and timing it. The first time I had to walk a few times, but I finished and that felt good! At least it gave me something to improve on.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well, I definitely can't run a 5k distance yet -- I can't even run a mile without struggling, lol. I guess I will stick to my app and try to be more patient.

You can either drop into an existing C25K plan, either an app or podcast, or just keep doing your own thing. Try to limit any increases in distance to about 10% per week, both in terms of each session and total mileage.

Try to avoid running every day, so alternate running with some other form of cross training; swimming, cycling or resistance training.

For me the benefit of using a structured plan was that it avoided what I had frequently done in the past; too much too soon leading to injury.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I never done a training plan for a 5k - I just started walking with a local running club and each week tried to jog for a little longer than I did before. Eventually I could do 4k without stopping (although very, very slowly!) and I went along to a 5k to see how I would get on. I did have to walk some of it but I still completed it and was delighted with myself.
    I tried again a couple of months later and done the whole thing without stopping in 42 minutes - not fast at all but I didn't care, I was just delighted to have finished!

Just go out and see how you get on - I find running with others 10 times easier than running alone, I always go much further in a group - so maybe see if you can find a local running club or a friend to go out with, you might got to the 5k mark quicker :)
    Good luck