Healthy Ground Venison Recipes (Or Beef)?

Options
SsetAdnama
SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
It's freezer clean-out time in preparation for hunting season, which means lots of venison is on the menu at my house. I was doing a decent job of clearing things out - only a few roasts, steaks, and stew meat left - and then my stepbrother dumped 12 lbs of ground venison on me. I'm looking for healthy, low-cal (under ~400/serving) recipes for ground venison. Ground beef recipes can be adapted easily, too. My fiance is from a non-hunting family, so I need to get creative. We've done chili, burgers, and meatloaf... does anyone have any other recipes?

Replies

• laurenleola
    laurenleola Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use it for anything that would normally call for beef. Add just a little bit of beef fat to it and she won't be able to tell a difference.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Burgers, tacos, use in a ragu, meatballs
  • red66stang
    Options
    I turn most of my ground venison into sausage so it keeps for a long time. If you make it yourself you can control the amount of fat in it so it is a lot healthier than store bought sausage. My wife doesn't like venison very much but she'll eat it that way. I like the high mountain brand polish sausage kit. Other than that most of the ground goes into chili.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Ma Po Tofu. This recipe calls for ground pork, but I normally use beef.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/tof1/r/mapotofu.htm
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's pie. Lasagna cupcakes.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love using ground beef in a pasta sauce! Here is my favorite recipe - http://recipes.womenshealthmag.com/Recipe/linguine-bolognese.aspx
  • SsetAdnama
    SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have some things to look into. I was totally stalled creatively, so your responses are a big help!
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I bet the venison burgers were tasty!.