Smoothies: Spinach - Fresh or Frozen?

Options
Hi!

I make smoothies every morning for bfast. Ive been doing this daily for about 9 months now. Back when I started I bought bags of Baby Spinach, sometimes I'll just use regular because - well - it's just more inexpensive. But somewhere down the line I started freezing them if I noticed they were wilting. Then I started buying a few bags at once and freezing them so I don't need to run to the market every few days .

This got me thinking, Is there any health benefit to using fresh Baby Spinach vs Frozen Regular Spinach (already frozen at the store) in my smoothies? While cooking, there is a huge difference in taste and texture but in a Smoothie I'm not so sure it matters? Are Greens just Greens?

Thanks!

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Greens are greens! Just check for additives in frozen spinach before purchasing. I don't think it makes much of a difference in my experience, anyone else have a different input?
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think fresh baby spinach has the most mild flavor in smoothies, so I prefer that. I've tried using frozen spinach before, but found it didn't taste as good. But, I know other people who use frozen just fine. I do use frozen kale in my smoothies as well with success.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Frozen is great. Most frozen veggies are flash frozen at the farm nowadays, so they can actually be fresher than "fresh". As you said, the drawback is usually the texture difference, but if you're going to blast it to bits in the blender, who cares, right?

As a side note, it's not a bad idea to switch out your greens every once in a while in your smoothies. I don't remember all the scientific technicalities, but some people over the long term can end up with too much of something in their system from eating a large amount of the same greens every single day. How's that for specifics? :blushing: But anyway, I've been told over and over to switch in a week of kale, or a week of beet greens, or romaine, or any other green for that matter, every once in a while... Just something to think about!

Edited when I read the previous post: I usually add some flavored protein powder to my green smoothies, so maybe that's why I don't notice a flavor diff.
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As for what Kimny72 said, I have heard that as well and switch between baby spinach, frozen kale, and frozen collards. Also, I put a lot of spinach (3-5 oz), so I might be more likely to taste a difference than someone who might add less. The times I have tried the regular frozen spinach, I didn't like it, but could still get through it, so it might not hurt to pick up a bag and give it a shot :)
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't love already frozen spinach from the store, but if you find greens on sale for a really good price or you have coupons or something you could stock up and freeze them yourself- blend with water and pour into ice cube trays to freeze & then store in freezer bags to add to your smoothies
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I just buy bags of fresh kale and spinach and other greens, put one cup servings in ziplock sandwich bags and put them in the freezer... and I do this with the fruit I buy as well... I hate warm smoothies.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've swithched to the bagged frozen spinach because it is WAAAAAAAAAYYYY cheaper, I can buy multiple bags at a time and not have to worry about it going bad, and i'm not at the store every other day. I find it blends and tastes just as good. And the whole thing about it being more nutrient dense because it was at it's freshest when it was frozen.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I use frozen or fresh. Lately it's been frozen because it's more convenient. I have in the past pureed my fresh spinach and frozen as ice cubes to use in my smoothies.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've tried both and I prefer fresh, non-boxed spinach. The kind you get in the produce section against the wall. It takes a more work than the boxed kind. I tear the leaves off, wash thoroughly, use a salad spinner to dry, let air dry and portion/bag them individually. Takes about 10 minutes, but it's worth it to me.

There's a sale this week for $1 a bunch (usually $1.25 - $1.75) so I'm going to buy more, repeat the process from above and freeze them. The boxed kind are usually $2.99 - $3.99. That adds up week after week.

I have a healthy smoothie with my first meal everyday and one bunch usually gets me about 6- 7 days.

I also rotate my greens every 2nd or 3rd week. I use beet greens and dandelion greens (this one is a little bitter, but very, very nutritious).