Anyone else suddenly have zero motivation?

Options
For a bit of information about me. I've always been on the "chubbier" side, I did manage to lose about 30lbs 3yrs ago and slowly gained it back and then some. I'm now the heaviest I've ever been (196lbs) and can't seem to make any headway with it. I dance 3-4nights a week, I go to the gym and workout at home, and I don't horribly although it could be better.

I've worked so hard- I even did two rounds of one of those bootcamps and only lost 8lbs. Recently I've lost all motivation to exercise and eat healthy. I know part of it is due to stress as I have a lot going on (working 2 jobs plus teaching dance) but I can't manage to wake up in the mornings to go workout and when I get up I'm so sore and achy I can't push myself to workout in the day. I spoke to my doctor and he wasn't even slightly helpful (he actually told me I don't need to lose any weight and seemed confused about why I wanted to lose weight)

My goal is to lose about 51lbs (to get to 140lbs or 30% body fat wherever that happens to be) but its like I've lost all my steam! Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? How did you get over it?

Replies

• nisharoseapple
    nisharoseapple Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the no-motivation spells from time to time. When that happens I think about all the reasons why I want to get healthier (my kid, all my small cute clothes in my closet); I also come on here and read success stories. I try to remember that this weight loss business takes time.
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options
    I am going through the "No Motivation Bug" right now and mainly because stress is killing me. When I started I lost about 20lbs from my initial weight. In december I was 139lbs..... now I am 160lbs and counting... I wasn't always on the heavier side (I am 5'2") I use to be 105lbs and at my heaviest 9 months pregnant 162lbs....... I can't kick this weight and I can't get motivated.... maybe we could motivate eachother. :drinker:
  • strawberrycoconut87
    strawberrycoconut87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am quickly losing motivation. It's been 8 days and I think I lost 1 pound of fat. I know it says I lost 5 pounds, but I think I was bloated or something when I did my initial weigh-in because that disappeared after the first day - so I feel like I really only lost 1 pound. I need to get a digital scale because I feel it shows progress better by increments.
  • 949BeachMom
    Options
    ????
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open, so I cant comment on that.

If your work schedule does not offer you as much free time to exercise as you would like start small to burn more calories while working:

1. Use stairs instead of elevator
    2. Use a stand up desk instead of sitting all day
    3. Go for a walk during your lunch break

I am sure teaching dance burns a lot of calories too. Perhaps you can focus on your consumption instead of just exercise. Are you logging everything you eat? What is your intended caloric deficit?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    motivation has its ebbs and flows...making nutrition and fitness a habit helps to overcome those motivational ebbs. I would also add that when you focus on developing these healthy habits...and you focus on leading a more healthful life in general and just being a better you today than you were yesterday and a better you tomorrow than you were today, the bi-product is usually getting to a healthy weight and maintaining it...when you are fixated on the scale as your only measure of success??? Well, good luck with that...it's going to be a tough road to hoe.
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    motivation has its ebbs and flows...making nutrition and fitness a habit helps to overcome those motivational ebbs. I would also add that when you focus on developing these healthy habits...and you focus on leading a more healthful life in general and just being a better you today than you were yesterday and a better you tomorrow than you were today, the bi-product is usually getting to a healthy weight and maintaining it...when you are fixated on the scale as your only measure of success??? Well, good luck with that...it's going to be a tough road to hoe.

I agree with this. Yesterday, I felt really discouraged and unmotivated and the whole time I was complaining, I still went to the gym, made my own food and ended the day well. It surprised me. You're not going to feel super motivated everyday, but it's important to learn how to deal with those days. I'm definitely still learning, but I feel confident if I ever feel my motivation leaving.
  • neuroticallyyou
    Options
    there are days when I really just don't want exercise and give up however I quickly remember why I'm doing this and suddenly is like my brain tells my body to move, ask yourself why do you want to keep going and whatever it is let it become your source of motivation. In my case I want to enlist in the army but I can't go until I drop the weight so I do what I can to achieve goal, gym, running, daily workout routines, etc etc.
  • Fitasticme
    Fitasticme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm having that problem right now and i think it really does have a lot to do with stress. I've been feeling overwhelmed for a few weeks now and that's really dragged me down. It's tough to get out of that mode but in the past I've gotten re-motivated by finding some new challenge to try like on the forums they'll start exercise groups/challenges and I'll give that a try. Other times I need to get some me time so I get out and do something fun for myself. Maybe try some new and fun activity or go someplace new. I think sometimes I get into a rut with the same routine and stresses and I need to stop that cycle. Maybe you do too. Good luck and stay strong! I know you can get back into it!
  • Farah_akbar
    Farah_akbar Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    I just started get back to the gym on Monday and Friday I did not bothad so I said I will do it on Saturday now it's Saturday here in New Zealand I didnt go and top that I am going back to my junk food in these 2day
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yep! I've had nearly 2wks worth of meh! I'm too tired, too fed up, blah, blah, blah!!!

But I know I feel better (eventually) when I push myself and get/keep on track. And I look at my ticker and think how crappy I felt 50lbs back. I guess the bottom line is - if it's worth it enough you'll get on with it.
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Been there...got busy and lazy, not really an unmotivated thing here. I'm recommitting myself though. 3-4 days a week of exercise is my goal. The kids have been distracting...and gosh I like to sleep in. I find I run better in the mornings, even though I enjoy it more in the evening. Thankfully, my 15 year old is willing to watch his siblings for an hour for me. You have to get past the 'I really don't feel like doing this today' and focus on 'I NEED to do this because (insert your reason here). For me, the reason is multiple...the health, the inner feeling, the way I look, and how much I can play with the kids!
  • Nathanmmx
    Nathanmmx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have zero motivation right now, today has been a real bad day food wise, I think the key is just making sure that if you do indulge that you make it a once off only, I mean one bad day isnt gonna destroy all our good work :)
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I routinely lose my motivation to run, lift, walk, and eat well.
    I do it anyway because I want the results.

Last night's a perfect example. This week has been a long one with 12-hour working days and working with a client on a site disaster. I've been drained and don't want to do anything be the end of the week but sit, screw off on the computer, and go to bed.

Last night I lifted anyway, figuring I might as well. I set new PRs across the board on my lifts.

Motivation comes and goes. Habits and discipline do not.

Nike had it right: Just Do It.
  • AaminahRaks
    AaminahRaks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the responses! I got swamped with..life and didn't get a chance to really check back.

I'm sure a large part of my lack of motivation is stress. I work for a homeless shelter and its being booted out of its current location so we've spent the last several months getting our women situated into their places not to mention I'll have to find a new place to live before oct 1st since I live on the grounds. And as an added bonus I've been dealing with a killer wisdom tooth. It has been very very stressful. I did however get a motivation boost when I got booked to be a pin up model at a car show in oct. Its about 55 days away so I'm using that as my short term carrot to keep myself motivated :)

My daily calorie goal is 1752 and sometimes I hit waaay under that either because I've burned the calories or I got too busy to eat. <I saw where someone asked about my calories ;)

I also recently revamped my gym routine for the first time in a long time and I've tailored my diet again so I'm going to see if I see any results from it. I am just trying to take little steps to get back into things, I started a Zumba class once a week to give myself something to do that challenges my body differently than belly dance.

Thanks again for all the responses and to those of you who were also in the no motivation funk I hope it passes quickly!
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Even when depressed, I find motivation. Only problem is... I find motivation to overeat hahaha.

But yeah, back on the horse. Just get back up and keep pushing.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    5:2 diet !!!

I have started that recently, you eat at TDEE for 5 days a week and 500 calories 2 days a week so you only have to think about dieting 2 days a week. It is the only diet I have been able to stick to for more than a week.

good luck
  • ronitperman
    Options
    Dancing is very good type of exercise its help you to be fit. You can take care about your eating habits, take more fresh fruits and vegetable and drink lots of water instead of drinking soda or eating fast foods. For the good motivations you can join some groups who are also trying to lose weight and you can see what different kind of things they are doing to lose their extra fat and how they motivate themselves.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Motivation ebbs and flows for me. Right now I'm okay weight and size-wise, and I can fit into a few articles of clothing that I couldn't last month, so I've gotten a bit lazy. Looking at images of bodies that appear the way I want to sometimes motivates me. That and reminding myself of how much more energy throughout the day I have when I do push that morning workout a bit harder!