New to all this...... a question about Zumba for men.....

Options
Hi there. Going to slowly find my way round this site: it's all very new (and scary!) to me.

I was widowed at the start of this year: I lost my wife to the b*****d disease that is cancer.
Consequently self pity kicked in, along with a frightening level of comfort eating. I'd put on nearly three stone since January and now its time to do something about it!!!! The weight loss has started: 9lbs in three weeks, but I want it to be fun to do!!

Part of the reason for coming on the site is the great advice on diet: I'm no Jamie Oliver so any help is welcome!!

But mainly to get advice on exercise. I'm 53, so the body image in terms of muscle is no way as important as it used to be. No, I want to look at other ways of training and getting fit...partly because I am in the process of getting together with a new partner and she LOVES dancing! My late wife hated dancing, so I've never had a chance.....and I hate the boring repetitive gym type training.

So, the question is: is Zumba for men? There's a class every week in my village and it sort of appeals. I want to go on and learn stuff like Salsa once I'm a bit more in shape , but need to tone up somewhat.

Can anyone advise? I'm in Scotland by the way - Fife.

Replies

• riotatme23
    riotatme23 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Zumba is for everyone. If you like to dance, then dance! Take a few classes and you'll be hooked I promise.

The scariest part when I started Zumba is that I had absolutely NO coordination. Nobody notices, and everybody has a good time. The hour flies by so fast, and you start to get familiar with other people in the room. A lot of guys are afraid of making fools of themselves especially in front of women, but you will survive the first class and that's the hardest one!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I do Aqua Zumba due to back problems (basically, Zumba in the water!). There are several men in the class, and we all have a great time. You do feel a little silly, but you have so much fun that it doesn't matter. Best of luck to you as you give it a shot!
  • Thanks for that!!! I'm definitely going to give it a go!!! I suppose the worst bit is that its a small village and there's bound to be someone there who I know!!!! Nothing ventured nothing gained, though!!!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Zumba is for everyone agreed! My man used to laugh at me but honestly he loved how much of a workout it was when we tried together (we do it at home and I think that helped him with his stage fright). It really is great and lots of fun if you're willing to look a little silly. Women usually like a little silly in their men any ways.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Heh, it's funny that all of the people in here saying "Zumba is for everyone" are women.... Just an observation!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    No exercise is really only for one gender. Try it. . . if you enjoy it, keep doing it. The important thing about exercise is finding something YOU enjoy doing.
  • Until today, SKR I've thought the same as you!!! But the people I know who go to various classes in the area all have no problem with it: in fact there's one of the classes run by a guy with his wife helping him.

What the hell........
  • vettim16
    vettim16 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In my zumba class there is a man who comes. He loves it! go for it! The first few classes will be getting the steps and coordination down, but after that you just go and it's fun!
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Until today, SKR I've thought the same as you!!! But the people I know who go to various classes in the area all have no problem with it: in fact there's one of the classes run by a guy with his wife helping him.

What the hell........

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE BRO!

Zumba.png
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Be prepared to be the only guy there.... but quite often there is a lone guy out there shaking his thing near the front. There was a big hairy bearded guy there regularly a class that I used to go to, and he looked like he was having a great time. And that's north of Inverness so don't worry about Scottish guys not dancing. ^_~ Best of luck to you!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    There is so much choreography to pay attention to during zumba that you have no time to look at anyone else other than yourself in the mirror and the instructor, so go for it. NOBODY will be looking at you and if they do they'll probably trip and fall down. Try to stand centrally behind the instructor so you can see what's going on. If you are too far to one side or the other when you start it's hard to look way over your shoulder to the instructor while mastering the steps.

It's a great workout - you will sweat a ton and your butt will be sore. Nobody leaves zumba with a frown on their face.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Until today, SKR I've thought the same as you!!! But the people I know who go to various classes in the area all have no problem with it: in fact there's one of the classes run by a guy with his wife helping him.

What the hell........

if you wind up being the only dude in a room full of chicks dancing....youre winning.

high-school-twerking-video-san-diego.gif
  • I'm not Scottish, aethre, but lived up here for 11 years, and have been to a few Ceilidhs so have done a bit of Scottish dancing. And the guys just don't care when the whisky is flowing!!!

So yep I'm going to do it. 9lbs gone, 33 to go, so I can only make a total fool of myself!!!!
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Be prepared to be the only guy there.... but quite often there is a lone guy out there shaking his thing near the front. There was a big hairy bearded guy there regularly a class that I used to go to, and he looked like he was having a great time. And that's north of Inverness so don't worry about Scottish guys not dancing. ^_~ Best of luck to you!

This. There's usually at least one guy in our bigger belly dance classes. He's straight, out-dances most of us, and is a constant favorite at parties. Go for it!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba at home... I really like to dance to the youtube videos... there's a guy instructor: "Crazy Sock Tv" is the name he's under... I love to follow along to those videos. Maybe you can practice along before going to your classes. :smile:
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Be careful. I am 57. I did Zumba for a year and it was fun and a great work out. As close to pole dancers as I could get and not be in trouble.

BUT after a year of Zumba I twisted and tore my meniscus in the knee. Injury is common and way more stretching is required than I did to prevent injury.
  • Yeah jacques57 I've been warned about that, but hopefully the body will be able to cope. I played basketball and volleyball for years and only packed in a couple of years ago. But I WILL warm up!!!
  • llerelgin
    llerelgin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a fun and an amazing workout. And this girl you are after is lucky. What woman doesn't like a man that can shake it????That's super attractive, masculine, sensual and a total turn on!!! GO FOR IT!!! (lucky, lucky girl...:grumble: )
  • nappsmcgee
    nappsmcgee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! Zumba may be marketed to women, but it's something that anyone can do and have fun with. Personally, I do Zumba 5x a week, and 2 of those classes are taught by a guy! I love it - it's so much fun and you can burn ALOT of calories. Plus, I'm sure you'll be able to pick up some of the basics of salsa, merengue, etc., to impress your new boo! :)

Btw I commend you for moving forward after your loss. Takes a lot of courage. I wish you the best in your health and life journey!
  • Thanks Napps. Been tough but life goes on. Was lucky we had "that conversation" beforehand where I was I suppose told in no uncertain terms not to hide away.

And thanks on the Zumba. Going for it tomorrow night. It's only a 60 yard walk home afterward...or should I say crawl/stagger!!!!