What exercises help build the muscles for push ups?

Options
cssyti
cssyti Posts: 108 Member
I have been exercising for about 8 months doing strength training and cardio. (Jillian Michaels Total Body revolution) I am stronger and thinner but I still cannot do regular style push ups. I can only do the women version with your knees on the floor. What exercises help build the muscles you need to do push ups?

Replies

• jgray14321
    jgray14321 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't know about other types of exercises but, for me, push-ups are all about practice. Each time I do push-ups, I start in the regular push-up position and do as many as I can with good form. Then, when I can't do any more while keeping good form, I finish the rest with my knees on the floor. Slowly, you should be able to build up to more regular push-ups. Some days I still have to use my knees. But the important thing is to try to make the transition. Focus on form rather than speed and hopefully you should be able to work up to it. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Body Revolution is not really a strength training program. The format it has you working with doesn't increase your functional strength really, as it's more cardio with weights (high rep low weight doesn't increase strength). I'll wager that doing the same exercises BR has you doing, only working with a MUCH heavier weight (heavy enough to totally blitz you in a single digit number of reps) will do the job.

To specifically answer the question, the exercises that work those muscle groups are the bench press, shoulder press, chest flye, tricep dip, tricep pushdown, and tricep kickback.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising for about 8 months doing strength training and cardio. (Jillian Michaels Total Body revolution) I am stronger and thinner but I still cannot do regular style push ups. I can only do the women version with your knees on the floor. What exercises help build the muscles you need to do push ups?

1st things first.
    that is not a "woman's version push up"

there is no such thing as "women" exericses, or "men's" exercises.

There are modifications. That's it.

Second- get off the floor and off your knees- you're not going to move to full push ups because as you can tell- it is just not effective.

Start doing full extended push ups on a wall- or if you have stairs- that's the best option- do 5-10 on a higher step- do them till you get comfortable- then start doing a few say 2-5 on the step lower- gradually move yourself down the stairs so you progress to the floor with a full body length extended push ups. Being on your knees really inhibits training for a push up.

Also you can do "negatives" which in push ups aren't really negatives- they are just slow push ups- without the UP part.
    these can also be modified to a wall or stairs- lower yourself down slowly- as slow as you can- then get up to the starting UP position how you need (get on your knees- stand back up- whatever it takes) this will really help you develop the full range of motion and work all the muscles that need to help you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

1st things first.

Second- get off the floor and off your knees- you're not going to move to full push ups because as you can tell- it is just not effective.

Start doing full extended push ups on a wall- or if you have stairs- that's the best option- do 5-10 on a higher step- do them till you get comfortable- then start doing a few say 2-5 on the step lower- gradually move yourself down the stairs so you progress to the floor with a full body length extended push ups. Being on your knees really inhibits training for a push up.

Also you can do "negatives" which in push ups aren't really negatives- they are just slow push ups- without the UP part.
    these can also be modified to a wall or stairs- lower yourself down slowly- as slow as you can- then get up to the starting UP position how you need (get on your knees- stand back up- whatever it takes) this will really help you develop the full range of motion and work all the muscles that need to help you.
    Agree here. The step progression is a great way to learn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

+1. I was going to suggest both of these. If you don't have a staircase in your house/apartment that you can use, you can prop a chair against a wall and use it for modified pushups, or use the side of a bathtub. Negatives are good, too.
  • dtwalker65
    dtwalker65 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 260 pounds and can do 50 pushups in a row now, as opposed to only being able to do 10 ASSISTED (not girl) pushups. All you have to do is work on them every other day, I go until my chest burns. Look up Stew Smoth Beginners Fitness, he does a better explanation.
  • cssyti
    cssyti Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for the advice. I will try using the steps.
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Planks for core, chest flys for chest, tricep dips, and lateral raises.

Try doing push ups with your feet wide apart until your core gets stronger.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options

This is great advice, I'm so glad I clicked on this thread! Thank you so much (:
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Very helpful advice. Thanks all! :D
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

1st things first.

[...] Agree here. The step progression is a great way to learn.

+1 for each of these

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Stopped reading at "woman's version push up."

Can we do something to get people educated on silliness like this, and the "third world squat?"
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    not2late wrote: »

Good times.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Oh this is a great thread!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do real push-ups and have always done the girl ones. I've never taken offense to them being called "girl push-ups," and never realized people had such strong feelings about the term before.

I don't have steps inside my house. That's a great idea, though!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Because they aren't girl push ups. Knee push ups aren't really that helpful. Incline push ups are a much better way to get to be able to do full push ups

Besides I know lots of women who can do full pushups and harder variations of pushups. I am not that strong yet and I do pushups with 35 lbs weight plate on my back and decline push ups

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    ^this
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i have to make do with counter top press ups as i tend to hurt my wrists doing the normal ones..even though i do struggle with around 15 of them as opposed to 50 counter tops .. but im sure the counter tops are still doing me some good :) ..
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    jyogit wrote: »
    i have to make do with counter top press ups as i tend to hurt my wrists doing the normal ones...

I don't know if the so-called "knuckle" push-up would help you? I'm trying to add push-ups to my routine, and I'm a super-weakling thus far. :neutral_face:

http://www.hundredpushups.com/what.html