Troll

Options
mactaffy84
mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong category, but what the heck is a troll? I thought I had it figured out by the way it was used in context, but I just recently read a post and it seemed to have a totally different meaning. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks!

Replies

• Izzy62
    Izzy62 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    "An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion."
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    "An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion."

Yep.

Sometimes here it gets used as "someone who disagrees with me" but that's not the actual meaning.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    I'm a troll. I admit it.

1155825236.gif
  • cyborg_mantisshrimp
    Options
    No Ya Dingus The Troll Lives Under The Bridge And You Have To Pay The Troll Toll Or He Takes The Boy's Soul
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Trolling:

The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires deceiving; any trolling that doesn't involve deceiving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccessful troll.

Signs that your trolling is successful:
    *Your victim screaming in all-caps at you.
    *Personal attacks (Calling you a retard, idiot, etc).
    *Being an Internet Tough Guy.
    *Making a crude remark, before quickly logging off before you can retort.

Signs that your trolling is unsuccessful:
    *Your victim identifying you as a troll.
    *Identifying yourself as a troll.
    *Your efforts being ignored.
    *Being counter-trolled (See below)

Counter-trolling (Or reverse trolling) is an effective method of redeeming yourself after being trolled. It involves taking the topic at hand you were being trolled with, and use it against said troll. For example:

Jimmy: Hey Ben, I've got some feelings I need to talk to you about...
    Ben: Yes?
    Jimmy: Well I've been a bit confused recently, and I've decided...that I'm gay.
    Ben: Really? That's weird.
    Jimmy: LULZ TROLLED
    Ben: I don't think you were trolling.
    Jimmy: ?
    Ben: You weren't lying. I think you actually are gay.
    Jimmy: I'm not man, I was kidding.
    Ben: Are you sure?
    Jimmy: Certain
    Ben: You know, it's alright if you are. I wont hold it against you.
    Jimmy: wtf man. I'm not gay.
    Ben: We can talk about it any time.
    Jimmy: WTF! I'M NOT ****ING GAY!
    Ben: It really is fine with me.
    Jimmy: GTFO!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This
  • DarkMoon30
    DarkMoon30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong category, but what the heck is a troll? I thought I had it figured out by the way it was used in context, but I just recently read a post and it seemed to have a totally different meaning. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks!

After a few days here, you won't need us to answer that for you
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    They have summed it up nicely!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Trolling:

The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires deceiving; any trolling that doesn't involve deceiving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccessful troll.

Signs that your trolling is successful:
    *Your victim screaming in all-caps at you.
    *Personal attacks (Calling you a retard, idiot, etc).
    *Being an Internet Tough Guy.
    *Making a crude remark, before quickly logging off before you can retort.

Signs that your trolling is unsuccessful:
    *Your victim identifying you as a troll.
    *Identifying yourself as a troll.
    *Your efforts being ignored.
    *Being counter-trolled (See below)

Counter-trolling (Or reverse trolling) is an effective method of redeeming yourself after being trolled. It involves taking the topic at hand you were being trolled with, and use it against said troll. For example:

Jimmy: Hey Ben, I've got some feelings I need to talk to you about...
    Ben: Yes?
    Jimmy: Well I've been a bit confused recently, and I've decided...that I'm gay.
    Ben: Really? That's weird.
    Jimmy: LULZ TROLLED
    Ben: I don't think you were trolling.
    Jimmy: ?
    Ben: You weren't lying. I think you actually are gay.
    Jimmy: I'm not man, I was kidding.
    Ben: Are you sure?
    Jimmy: Certain
    Ben: You know, it's alright if you are. I wont hold it against you.
    Jimmy: wtf man. I'm not gay.
    Ben: We can talk about it any time.
    Jimmy: WTF! I'M NOT ****ING GAY!
    Ben: It really is fine with me.
    Jimmy: GTFO!

Brilliant. I wish journalists would read this before calling someone who's rude or a sick *kitten* a troll.

I enjoy trolling but I've never offended anyone.