I giving up vegan diet

Options
I've been vegan for two years now, more and more I only eat carbohydrates in my diet and I feel like going back to a regular balanced diet. It's hard for me to think about eating meat again, but I need lots of protein and nutrients, and this week I went on a trail and I got winded halfway up almost passed out on the top!. My energy is at an all time low and my weight is rising which is not like me at all..

I feel like I lost myself by being vegan :(

Replies

• clynnrychly
    clynnrychly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of ways to get the protein and nutrients you need without meat. I have been vegetarian (though not vegan) for many years without any adverse effects on my health. There are vitamins that can help supplement your protein, iron and B-12 intake.

Vegetarian foods that are high in protein can include tofu, beans, quinoa, nuts (and if you're willing to divert away from a vegan diet but still want to stay away from meat, cheese and eggs are also high in protein)

Many of those same foods are also high in iron. Iron can also be found in your greens such as spinach, kale, chard, brocolli, etc.

The reason you're feeling faint is because you've likely become anemic from a lack of these nutrients in your diet. By changing your diet and even by seeking medical advise and having a health professional recommend a regimen of supplements, you can both be healthy and continue to maintain a vegan or vegetarian diet.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel well, there is no need to adhere to a diet like that. Having low energy is certainly a red flag...

Don't beat yourself up over it. Eat what makes you feel good!
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    for these past two years, what has your diet been composed of? you can become faint/weak not just because of lack of protein. as clynnrychly said, deficiencies in vitamins and minerals can have similar effects. so, if you were more of a "junk food" vegan and getting most of your calories from more processed, pre-prepared, mostly carb- and sugar-laden foods, you could still become deficient in nutrients -- and definitely gain weight. you can correct your diet by balancing it again by not eating so many carbs, especially carbs like chips, bread, pasta/noodles, and white rice. eating more fresh fruits and vegetables and getting carbs from legumes and whole grains are a MUCH better alternative. i know it's very easy to gravitate towards mostly non nutrient-dense carbs because they're yummy and addicting in my case lol. protein can be corrected by having more legumes, tofu/soy, quinoa, and nuts. i also use Garden of Life raw vegan protein powder. 17g of protein for 90 calories and 7g carbs. i also take MegaFood's vegan daily vitamins. you don't necessarily have to go back to eating meat and/or eggs & dairy, just re-assessing your diet. however, it's your body and it's completely up to you. good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What were you eating on this vegan diet?
    Did you to remember to eat beans, lentils, nuts, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and various nuts? Also fats and oils?
  • KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    mainly eat pasta, bread, mock meats, not very much vegetables, rice & beans, hemp oil, cashews

I found that this diet is not for me anymore, everything is just bland now :(

I really want to see some muscle gains I'm fat with very little muscle, I take a serving of sun warrior protein blend for weights.

I want to balance things out after 2 years vegan :)
  • NancySkier
    Options
    If you are looking for a good plant based protein, try NitroFusion. I switched from animal based protein powders over 3 years ago. NitroFusion is one of the best ones for the money. A lot of people drink Vega but its too expensive for me.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    :( I hope you feel better soon OP. Protein is important. You may have missed out on some other nutrients and vitamins also.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for two years now, more and more I only eat carbohydrates in my diet and I feel like going back to a regular balanced diet. It's hard for me to think about eating meat again, but I need lots of protein and nutrients, and this week I went on a trail and I got winded halfway up almost passed out on the top!. My energy is at an all time low and my weight is rising which is not like me at all..

If you don't want to stop being vegan, do some research and do it the right way. You're clearly just winging it and not putting any effort into it.

If you want to have it a little easier without eating actual meat, add eggs and dairy back in and be vegetarian.

Or just go back to eating meat if you want to.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/plant-food-protein-chart.pdf

http://www.22daysnutrition.com/blog/2013/05/01/15-vegan-sources-of-protein-soy-free-and-gluten-free-too/

As mentioned a vitamin B supplement and possibly D is recommended, I would also suggest protein shakes as there are plenty of vegan options.

Make sure you are also not neglecting your fats.

No matter your dietary preference you have to pay attention to your macro/micro nutrients

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Welcome to bacon. Mmmm bacon
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    vrg.org/nutrition is a good site as well. Too many people go veg*n without research and end up not getting the proper nutrition that they need. Do some research and change the way you are eating. It can be done. I have been vegan for 20+ years.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i find it kinda funny that there's a "going vegan, need help" thread a few posts up from "giving up a vegan diet".
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm all about the meat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can get proteins eating a vegan diet. You just have to be careful and make sure you do it.

But if you don't want to be a vegan, then of course you should stop!

I'd hate giving up meat. Giving up red meat was the hardest thing - much harder than cake and pie. If I could, I think I'd exist entirely on meat, lol.

I feel for the vegans, though. They get a lot of flak and most are not the preachy, in-your-face type. They're just doing their thing.

Go vegans! (Not joining, but will cheerlead, lol.)
  • KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    thank you all for the encouragement, I will take tiny steps out of the diet :)

I went vegan simply because we moved to a big city and I wanted to try it, but now I know. :(
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That's fine that you want to eat differently, but honestly.... it bothers me when people use the "I can't get enough protein" excuse for stopping being vegan/vegetarian. You totally can, you're choosing not to. Which is fine, but it then feeds the stereotype that vegans/vegetarians can't get protein. Just say you want to eat meat again!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    That's fine that you want to eat differently, but honestly.... it bothers me when people use the "I can't get enough protein" excuse for stopping being vegan/vegetarian. You totally can, you're choosing not to. Which is fine, but it then feeds the stereotype that vegans/vegetarians can't get protein. Just say you want to eat meat again!

Indeed. I can get enough protein even on days when I eat far less calories than your average male needs, particularly an active male who hikes.

I think somewhere OP said it was bland. And another post shows he was trying on a whim it but is over it. And that is fine, I'm not judging. What you eat is entirely between you and your own ethics. But damn it, if you're just tired of eating vegan and don't like to incorporate a lot of veggies in your diet anyway, please just say so. You don't have to defend your decision to anyone except yourself but don't spread misinformation.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    The only reason I see to adhere to a vegan diet is because of religious reasons or reasons of conscience (guilt about using animal products, etc).

Animal meat and animal products provide a lot of nutrients and energy...and it is more difficult to get adequate protein without any animal products whatsoever.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I spent half my life wishing to be vegetarian or vegan. I'm now glad I didn't. No need for it. Good luck and be well.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

You don't need to eat meat. Half the world's cuisines are ovo-lacto-piscatory vegetarian. It is a very healthy diet as long as food is plentiful. There are no traditional cuisines that are strictly vegan. It is possible to be healthy on a vegan diet but the foods must be carefully planned out.