Measuring food CAN be a lead way towards eating disorders

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I just want people to understand they need to stop believing these bull**** stereotypes on eating disorders.
    and we all want you to get the help that you need.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    measuring food can trigger eating disorders just the same way it could get a person out of one. not all treatment is the same. One might find the control to be helpful. To know exactly how many calories you are taking in and meeting a calorie set forth by a nutritionist can give a person who was out of control some control. The same way it could cause another to become obsessive.

its really just the individual

I am one of the ones on here (here in the minority) who knows that measuring everything that I ate would become obsessive for me and could lead to an unhealthy relationship with food, that being said I dont own a food scale. I still lose weight.

If someone finds a food scale to be helpful on their journey I say more power to them.

the sooner we learn our triggers the better... good luck OP
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just want people to understand they need to stop believing these bull**** stereotypes on eating disorders.

^x2
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

this.

your threads really read like you are reaching out for help.
    please go get it.

good luck to you OP.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm unclear. Are you talking about measuring food and shooting for realistic goals? Or measuring foods but not using any goals which wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Inversely setting unhealthy goals can and likely will lead to an ED but that isn't the fault of measuring.

By my thinking when you measure and plan it can become a habit but unless you set unhealthy goals it can only be good.

She's right.

Measuring isn't for everybody. Maybe it's right for 90%. Or even 95%. But it can also lead to obsessive behaviors which can be extraordinarily unhealthy for some individuals.

Different people react differently to different stimuli, and there's no "one size fits all" solution.

There are certainly other ways to ensure that you're in a calorie deficit without having to resort to measuring your foods. Millions of people manage to successfully lose weight without resorting to measuring their foods, so it's not like it's impossible or even extraordinarily difficult to do.

I think her point is that reflexively advising every single person who asks for advice to start measuring their food (as some do) isn't necessarily the best option every single time. For some - or maybe even most - it might be. But there are plenty of steps between not caring at all about what you eat and weighing every bite you eat that can be taken. That's a dangerous road for some to go down, as anyone who worked with EDs can tell you.

Finally someone who is kind in responding to a legitimate statement. Measuring is not for everyone. I rarely measure anymore and guess what??/ I am still LOSING! :)
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm unclear. Are you talking about measuring food and shooting for realistic goals? Or measuring foods but not using any goals which wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Inversely setting unhealthy goals can and likely will lead to an ED but that isn't the fault of measuring.

By my thinking when you measure and plan it can become a habit but unless you set unhealthy goals it can only be good.

First of all, you can suffer from an eating disorder without having unhealthy goals. I believe the OP is suggesting that for people who have a mental state that makes them more prone to eating disorders, tracking calories is often a catalyst for triggering an eating disorder. For those who are mentally well-adjusted, tracking calories will not typically push them toward an eating disorder. Having suffered from an eating disorder, I can say that watching the calories day after day and watching the number on the scale drop can be incredibly satisfying in all the wrong ways.

So let's say that somebody has entirely healthy goals, but they place such emphasis and control over meeting their goals EXACTLY in terms of calories and macros that they stop going out with friends, refuse to participate in company lunches, stop eating foods unless they know exactly what's in the recipe and feels like a complete failure and cries when they go over by 25 calories or if they're a couple grams off on their protein goal. No matter how healthy their goal is, you can't tell me that this is good for that person. It's an internal issue as far as mental health, it is not "caused" by tracking calories, but the tracking can very well be the catalyst.

Excellent point. I hadn't considered the social impact in a scenario like that.

That makes sense. Thanks.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I saw this thread and thought it made sense to post here. Sorry to get personal but I feel this is relevant.

I have a history of eating disorders that range in phases between obsessive restriction, binge eating disorder and 'recovering and starting to relax about food'. **

I was obese up until my early teen years and underweight between the age of 18 and 20 (I am now 21). My initial weight loss was healthy and the only thing I measured was my morning cereal, with a measuring cup. I think just eating something healthy whenever I felt hungry worked at the time BECAUSE the lifestyle I was moving away from was so dramatically the opposite. It took about a year for me to start obsessing, but I wasn't weighing/measuring things. I was just making endless 'rules' for myself.

When I was freakishly thin, my family addressed the issue. I saw a doctor who was really actually NOT helpful. But upon realising what had happened I started trying to change my way of thinking and BAM. I gained about 7kg. I freaked out, and THAT is when I started to actually weight things/count calories.

I am a healthy weight, but my weight fluctuates quite a bit due to the aforementioned phases. I have been measuring things on-and-off ever since.

I initially re-joined this community for healthy recipe ideas and I just want to maintain my weight. Then I started counting again.*** I'm not shooting for unrealistic goals but since I have a food-scale now, I question whether or not I should be doing this given everything that happened.

This time last year I went overseas for a month. At the time I was content and happy with my body but still measuring everything. and managed to relax about food 90% of the time. I was drinking and eating a lot more. When I got off the plane I appeared 4kg heavier. 3kg of that was just bloating from salty aeroplane food. So I KNOW it is possible to maintain my weight without measuring things but I STILL don't trust myself.

The truth is, not counting things and measuring things stresses me out which ultimately consumes more time. When I'm not measuring things, I tend to count it anyway but over-estimate everything and restrict even more.

At the moment, setting realistic maintenance goals and exercising regularly is working for me and helping me stay calm during the Uni semester. BUT I know that one day I will have to stop measuring things.

TLDR; 1. Even though I totally understand the point you are making and think that there should be active awareness-raising about the issue (because I feel like a lot of people have a narrow conception of what an eating disorder IS)... I think that measuring things makes sense for most people and might actually be the best option.

2. I understand a lot of people are using this process of measuring in a healthy way with very realistic goals and I am just so curious- do you intend to stop doing this at some stage when you have reached your goal and maintained it for some time? And do you have any strategies in mind?

** II have considered getting therapy but I have no money and I can't get free counselling/theory or Government rebates because I am not underweight or obese at present. Despite having been BOTH of those things in my lifetime. Also I feel like doing so would 'out' me to a number of significant people with whom I have never discussed my ED.

*** I hope that didn't sound like I was implying any fault to MFP. I love this site and think that it helps a lot of people reach their goals. And it is really lovely to see so many people support and help each other. Okay, I'll stop being sappy. But no, seriously.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

this.

your threads really read like you are reaching out for help.
    please go get it.

good luck to you OP.
    ^This. Yes, tracking/measuring food can be triggering for some people. That's why it's not recommended for some people in treatment. Clearly, it's triggering for you, and I'm sorry about that. Those types of issues aren't things you should be tacking alone. Please try to find someone who can help you through this.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Measuring and weighing my food has been the BIGGEST educational factor for myself. I think a lot of people have no clue what a serving size is, or what a calorie is! Measuring works. Yes, some people may become obsessive, it is important to be truthful and honest with yourself as well as have insight to see if there is an eating disorder develop.

When I first started tracking, measuring my foods - I was obsessive. It was good obsessive though, it was me LEARNING. Getting the valuable education regarding food and nutrition that I never had when I was younger. It was also me building a new habit. Now, I am not constantly on MFP reading and researching, because I have a wealth of knowledge about the topic.

I honestly think your post is ridiculous and counter-active to people trying to help themselves. Basically saying "damn if you do - damn if you don't".

*To any new users, I would discredit this garbage OP is posting, practice hitting the "IGNORE" option, so you never have to see her opinion again. Measuring is worth a shot every time.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Curious OP, so you don't measure when you are baking?

I doubt OP you have issue with measuring, your just using it as excuse for not weighing/measuring.

I agree with everyone, seek help OP.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Could you please list what can't become compulsive for those who are predisposed to being compulsive?

And this is where you comletely miss the point....

You are correct anything can become compulsive. Therefore, if someone tells you that they have an issue around that particular thing which could lead to negative consequences, you don't tell them to do it anyway!

"Hey, Bob. I really shouldn't drink tonight because I can't control myself once I start drinking."

"Shut up, Joe. You'll drink if you know what's good for you."

"But Bob, I'm telling you that alcoholism runs in my family, and it's a bad idea."

"Shut up, Joe. Lots of people have alcohol without any problem. You're just being a wimp. Man up and have a drink."

See how stupid that is?

Just because most people do it without any problems doesn't mean everybody can do it without a problem. It has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    First of all, you can suffer from an eating disorder without having unhealthy goals. I believe the OP is suggesting that for people who have a mental state that makes them more prone to eating disorders, tracking calories is often a catalyst for triggering an eating disorder. For those who are mentally well-adjusted, tracking calories will not typically push them toward an eating disorder. Having suffered from an eating disorder, I can say that watching the calories day after day and watching the number on the scale drop can be incredibly satisfying in all the wrong ways.

So let's say that somebody has entirely healthy goals, but they place such emphasis and control over meeting their goals EXACTLY in terms of calories and macros that they stop going out with friends, refuse to participate in company lunches, stop eating foods unless they know exactly what's in the recipe and feels like a complete failure and cries when they go over by 25 calories or if they're a couple grams off on their protein goal. No matter how healthy their goal is, you can't tell me that this is good for that person. It's an internal issue as far as mental health, it is not "caused" by tracking calories, but the tracking can very well be the catalyst.

QFT

Exactly.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yeah... no.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Mother's milk leads to EVERYTHING.
    ~George Carlin
  • janellevaught
    janellevaught Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If someone intends to use a service like MFP for food tracking then they pretty much have to know how much food they are eating (i.e. by measuring in some way). If said person is prone to obsessive behavior and they are worried that they will develop an ED then maybe they shouldn't use this type of service.

Think about it, if someone is an alcoholic and they know they can't control it when they are around alcohol then they typically don't go to bars.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I do think measuring food can trigger someone with a pre-existing ED or someone who has recovered from an ED. However, measuring food alone will not cause an ED. There has to be an unhealthy relationship with food or body image prior, and it can be worsened by triggers such as measuring food, logging food, or even eating! A person with a healthy relationship to food and their body will unlikely be triggered towards an ED by measuring their food. Different things work for different people and no system will work for everyone.

I recovered from am ED years ago, and I measure my food just fine. But this will be different for different people. But then again I never weighed my food when I was ED.. Just logged calories lol. So I don't imagine it would be a trigger for me.
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Okay I just want to make things clear about measuring. It can possible, not always, but possibly lead to an eating disorder. Or even could lead to a relapse as well. Measuring foods DOES NOT work for EVERYONE.

More like:
    It can possible, not always, but possibly, but maybe, but maybe not, kinda, sorta, in the realm of an event that could transpire, lead to an eating disorder. But most likely not.

If you are measuring you food you know how much you are putting in your body. Obviously if you have a compulsive personality, logging may be a problem. But logging food never caused a ED.

It's like saying everyone with anorexia has used a toilet, ergo toilets cause anorexia.

That's it, I'm taking my toilet back. It's clearly not doing what it's designed to do.

Edit: Anorexia is not funny, I get it. Don't anyone freak out.
  • roxazaloah
    Options
    I think the whole post in its entirety from the original one to this one is a troll post. She just doesn't want "real, solid" advice on how to effectively and healthily lose weight. She just wants the magic "pill" that will solve all the problems with minimal effort.

Ergo. I am severly overweight. I notice when I work out at the gym and give it my absolute ALL, I am totally exhausted afterwards, and probably lose a bit more weight. If I work out and have a "meh, I'm here" attitude, I don't give it my all. Ergo, I may burn say, 400 calories in an hour or so, but don't lose as much weight. HOWEVER, I am at a much higher weight at 294 lbs, and it doesn't take a whole hell of a lot for me to be losing weight at this point. ANYTHING I do to be more active than I normally WOULD be, results in a loss.

CONVERSELY, if you were say, 5'6" and 150 lbs, YOU HAVE TO WORK A LOT HARDER AND PUSH YOURSELF HARDER. WEIGHT WILL NOT COME OFF THAT EASY WHEN YOU'RE A LOT SMALLER.

If you want the magic "pill", get to be my size and then start busting *kitten* 3-6 hours a day in the gym. You'll probably lose 10 lbs a WEEK.

Losing weight is NOT a flipping overnight thing. It takes A BUTT LOAD OF PATIENCE, AND PERSEVERANCE.

First and foremost, GO seek help with your eating disorder. GO see a NUTRITIONIST. THEY KNOW A HECK OF A LOT MORE THAN YOU DO ABOUT EATING DISORDERS and can give you good, clear ideas on HOW to help YOURSELF.

At the end of the day, look at it this way, from someone who is on the exact opposite of the spectrum: You are a lot healthier than a high chunk of the world, by being the weight that you are. LEARN to love yourself and your body. Learn to feel comfortable in your own skin. At least you won't die of a heart attack or by having high cholesterol, or other issues associated with obesity. FOOD is not your enemy, and exercise is not the enemy - - you need to learn to have a healthy relationship with BOTH.

Please, get some help. NOT to be made fun of or ridiculed, but so that you can live a full life, free of health complications.
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    Telling someone who is dealing with an eating disorder sometimes isn't enough. Like I said before, our brains actually function differently. You don't know what its like to live with an eating disorder so you cannot just read a damn article and automatically know how to get someone recovered. Its the victims choice. Its something the victim will live with for the rest of their life. Something they will have to fight forever.

I will always be an anorexic, but I'M FIGHTING IT.