foods rich in fiber

Options
cssyti
cssyti Posts: 108 Member
I am having a hard time getting fiber in my diet. What foods have a lot of fiber in them?

Replies

• sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Foods with fiber: Vegetables, Vegetables, Vegetables...and fruits, beans, and whole grains.

Foods with no fiber: Meats, Dairy, Eggs.
  • levicrouch
    Options
    Most fruits and veggies are good sources of fiber.

IMHO, be careful with the fiber one products - not that they 'bad' per se, they taste really good, and i end up eating them as a treat or candy, which for me is a gateway for real candy.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Nuts have a surprisingly high fiber content. Almonds have 14.10 grams of insoluble fiber per cup. Bran cereals are also a good source of fiber. Split peas and lentils are tasty sources of high fiber. Blackberries and raspberries are so delicious and fiber-ful.

The following website has a pretty good list of foods and their fiber content and they note the soluble and insoluble numbers.

https://www.prebiotin.com/resources/fiber-content-of-foods/
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I struggled with fiber as well for a while.

It's easy to add some to your diet without even feeling like you do anything.

Fruits is general are really high. Raspberry is one of the highest one, I have some frozen raspberry that I add in everything: Oatmeal, yogurt, smoothie.

You can easily add a tbsp of flax or chia seed in many thing, it taste like nothing or almost and is really high in fiber. Add in in your yogurt, cereal, smoothie, even mix it in your vinaigrette for your salad.

Make sure to eat whole grain: bread, brown rice, cereal, etc...

Hitting 15-25g of fiber in a day is really easy if you do the above.

To go over the 20-25g/day, you'll have to make a more conscious effort: Lentils have a ridiculously high amount of fiber. I enjoy Lentil Indian curry, it taste really good and is very low in calorie if you stay tomato based. Beans in general are great, make sure every meal you plan have 10g or more of fiber and you'll hit the 30g.

Here is an example of a typical day:
    41g of banana (half a banana) 1g
    1 cup Almond milk 1g (you wouldn't have it with regular milk however this has no protein so if you get hungry easily go with regular milk)
    1.5 cup of All Bran cereal 8g
    1 tbsp (15g) of slice almond : 2g
    That's 10g of protein, 12 g of fiber and 328 cals

For lunch I had:
    Mashed chickpeas salad in a sandwich (roughly mash chickpeas together with a bunch of thinly diced veggies such as celery, carrot, green onion, etc, add mayonnaise or hummus to taste, a bit of garlic and mustard, eat in in a sandwich like you would a egg salad sandwich). About 1/2 to a cup is 5g.
    1 slice of toasted whole grain bread: 3g (I went for an open face sandwich)
    bunch of veggie sticks: 2g
    That's 17g of protein,10g of fiber and 371 cals

For dinner I had Lasagna spinach roll (you spread ricotta and cooked spinach in a lasagne sheet and roll, add marinara sauce on top and cheese, oven for 30 minutes)
    Made with Catelli smart pasta, it's 6 g
    ceasar salad on the side: 2g
    a cup of steamed broccoli: 2g (or any other greens really)
    18g of protein, 10g of fiber, 386 calories

That whole day is 30g with no snacks and still a bunch of calories left! Eat an apple +4g, have yogurt with a handful of raspberries +4g, etc...
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Beans
    Most fruits
    Most vegetables
    Starchy root vegetables with skin, especially sweet potatoes
    Wheat or sprouted grain bread
    Oatmeal or whole rice grains
    Some cold cereal and grain processed foods have added chicory roots to increase fiber content but I'd avoid those of I were you since some people can have very bad reactions to them. Well you can try them to see how you personally feel and decide from there.

That being said, increase your fiber intake slowly to avoid stomach aches/ diarrhea, eat enough fat and drink enough water to help aid your digestion process.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I consume at least 25 and often upwards of 50 g of fiber per day - and I don't typically even make a conscious effort anymore. I focus on whole grains, love nuts, and eat lots of produce with very little processed food. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas, although it doesn't show fiber since that's not a concern for me. However, please note that you will want to increase fiber slowly do avoid GI issues.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you are still having issues, you could always look into supplements (like Benefiber), cereals (like the Fiber One cereal), or protein bars (like Quest) to help up your fiber intake :)
  • VenusSparks
    Options
    mung beans! I was so surprised to find out they got sooo much fiber (and protein too) per cup its about 20 something fiber.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Besides fruits and veggies I use flax, chia and glucomman in my morning protein shake, not necessarily all at once. I also like ON's Fitness Fiber. I even mix it in my morning ice tea.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I've just gone through a few weeks of adapting my diet to get more fibre in. In addition to the fruits, veggies, brown rice, and nuts I was eating before, I've added All Bran cereal, oat bran, wholewheat pasta, chia seeds, and a brand of multi-seeded bread, which is higher in fibre than the brand I was buying before.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are very high in fiber for low calories. Also, if you eat sandwiches you may want to try wraps(whole wheat) in lieu of bread(whole wheat) for similar calories but higher fiber.

You may want to browse the cereal isle. I use Kashi Honey Almond flax, which is actually higher fiber than some of those bran cereals.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Lentils - high in fiber and protein. A staple in my diet.
  • cssyti
    cssyti Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the information. You guys/gals gave me a lot of options :flowerforyou: