Am I the only one who gets fatter on low carb diets?

Options
2»

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Did you expect different results when you upped your calories that much? Either way, you don't have to do paleo. It helps some people achieve a caloric deficit but if it doesn't help you, don't do it. It's really that simple.
  • MelaniaMadison
    Options
    Did you expect different results when you upped your calories that much? Either way, you don't have to do paleo. It helps some people achieve a caloric deficit but if it doesn't help you, don't do it. It's really that simple.

yes, as a matter of fact I did. you see, my trainer insisted that I could pretty much eat as much as I wanted to as long as grains and dairy were cut out. IN FACT, he said that more calories rev my metabolism, less calories slow it down. And, I found myself naturally eating more , needing more, to feel satisfied

obvi it was the wrong move
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

yes, as a matter of fact I did. you see, my trainer insisted that I could pretty much eat as much as I wanted to as long as grains and dairy were cut out. IN FACT, he said that more calories rev my metabolism, less calories slow it down. And, I found myself naturally eating more , needing more, to feel satisfied

obvi it was the wrong move

Might be time to get a new trainer.......
  • Satr33
    Satr33 Posts: 8
    Options
    Personally, I didn't gain weigh on low carb, I just didn't lose any. I find I only lose with a more balanced diet and a higher dose of veggies. I do try to eat healthier carbs though: quinoa, bulgur.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    The only way you would be putting on weight that way is if you're still eating too many calories, or if you're still eating too many carbs. Are you eating more fruit than veggies? Fruits are high in carbs because they're loaded with sugar. Remember, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash are all fruits. If it has seeds in it, it's a fruit. Avoid it. Are you eating starchy veggies (root vegetables, beans, peas, legumes)? Those are also high in carbs. You should be eating cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, peppers (technically a fruit, but lower in carbs) and salad greens. Are you eating a lot of dairy, like yogurts and cheeses? That is also high in carbs. You need to make sure you're getting plenty of fiber (or things won't "move along" correctly on a high protein diet--you could just be "holding on" to "stuff"), and no more than 20gm carbs per day.

My guess is that if you're gaining weight, you're doing something wrong. The weight should just be falling off of you. Either too many calories, but far more likely too many carbs.

Cheese is not carb-y, fyi. It is a protein and fat.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Ok so here's my most recent experience:

I was doing find on my weight loss journey, slow and steady, but eating a high grain diet with plenty of green veggies, some whole fruits, and lean meats. But my trainer and dietician (who are in biz together), who I just started seeing INSISTED that I cut out the grains and up my animal protein. They said if I followed that plan, and continued to work out 3x week, in a month Id be down 10lbs.I really did not want to: I am all about cutting out junky processed foods but I really dont believe in cutting out food groups. But everywhere I turned, trainers were telling me I had to do this paleo style diet...So I did and Well, Im up 10!

I followed their plan to a T. I noticed that I felt kind of gross during the diet, which they insisted was my body detoxing of grains. I felt like I was eating way too much meat relative to what I would normally eat. I was always hungry, not in belly hunger way but in a weak hunger but I persisted. And I felt like my body was storing everything I put into it. I would go to bed and wake up feeling fatter.

Ofcourse now they are alleging that I mustve been "cheating" w grains the entire time. I think thats funny bc I was LOSING on grains, NOT gaining. I only gained the 10 I lost on this paleo diet.

My questions/comments are
    1) do people actually get fatter on paleo? Its NOT muscle I had my body fat checked again AND I am def fatter
    2) could it be that my body thought it was starving & started storing
    3) I did NOT CHEAT, I would not bother posting if I was secretly eating twinkies in the closet
    4) why is everyone so obsessed with killing carbs, dont we need them?

:laugh: That's funny, 'cause when I was on a low fat/high carb diet, watching calories, the same thing happened to me!
    Folks insinuated I was cheating, miscalculating food etc.

Low carb works for me, but I wouldn't say it's for everyone :flowerforyou:

I know you don't need to hear it from me, but for the love of all that's holy, go back to what you're comfortable with :drinker:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    1) do people actually get fatter on paleo?

Absolutely. Paleo/primal forums are filled with people who struggle with weight gain. It is *extremely* easy to over eat on a low-carb diet.

Bottom line: if you eat at a caloric surplus, you will gain weight, no matter how many or few carbs you eat.

:yawn: