Losing Chocolate and losing weight

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this, got three charity cycle rides planned in 5 weeks, starting in June so I will start training soon. Before I do, I wanted to get down to a decent weight, so I'm not out totally out of shape..... Here's my story so far....

Gave up chocolate as New Year's Resolution!
Weighed myself on Wii Fit for first time in 12 months and it told me I'd but on 10lbs since my last weigh in I was 17st 4lb :(
Set myself a target of losing 2lbs in 2 weeks.
Still no Chocolate.....
Ate less food generally, but was substituting chocolate with Shortbread biscuits
Second weigh in on the wii... stepped on confidentally, .... had put on 4lb... :(
Suspected conspiracy by wii as I hadn't been exercising on it all week and thought it was trying to tell me I needed to.

Decided to cut out shortbread, stop eating between meals, watch what I eat. Still no chocolate
Use My FItness Pal app.
Walked dogs 3mph for half an hour three times a day!

Third week weigh in last Saturday (15th January)
Stepped on wii fit to weigh myself..... Wooopeee! Lost 9lb

Continuing with diet.........

Next wii weigh in tomorrow (22nd Jan).

Replies

• Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    welldone!!! i too am having a chocolate battle at the moment !! i find myself having to have a little bit everyday! ahhh
  • melsdadian
    melsdadian Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Louise,

I'm a chocoholic, so I can't do little and often, I can't even do little and not very often... so I have to give it up completely.

It'll be interesting to see what my weigh in weight is tomorrow :)
  • aspire2bslim
    Options
    Hi, love that sense of humour. Seems like you are well on your way - great job :)
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you're a real chocolate addict and you feel you NEED it quite often (I'm guilty of this) you can curb your craving from eating a lot of it by buying the low calorie hot chocolates (i get cadburys highlights, only 40 calories a cup) - and that's usually sweet enough to make me not want any more. Or get some super duper dark chocolate - like 90% if you can. 2 squares of that and you won't want any more!
  • tassles
    tassles Posts: 172
    Options
    Hi I'm Tassles , and i'm a chocoholic.........

I saw this today and thought it may be appropriate to this conversation;

◦Diet tip: Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It'll take the edge off your appetite and you'll eat less.

...if only!
  • sandybaby13
    Options
    mels firstly let me congrats you on your weight loss 9lbs in 1 week is fantastic work keep it up allthough its tough going,

here's your sister on been addicted to choc and iv decided that i too need to give it up compleatly as little amounts of it were not satasifying me and i was only teasing myself by having small amounts i just love piging out on choc yesterday was my first day to go compleatly with out it its go'na be tought but im hoping i can do it becaue im really determined to get this weight down, good look and best wishes x
  • peteloafer
    peteloafer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    well done mate if you're losing at that rate you are doing something right.

Incidentally I'm over 17 st also and trying to get back to 15st something but am keen to cycle again
    and wondered what bikes might be suitable (and safe) for big guys.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

good luck

Pete
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ah i have the chocolate highlights to and still want chocolate! ahhh im going to try and just treat myself once a week!
  • melsdadian
    melsdadian Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow,

So many nice replies from so many nice people. Thank you .

Pete,

In terms of cycling, get a bike that suits the terrain you're going to be cycling. A road bike will be good for roads, a hybrid can do either, my previous hybrid was 50-50 in terms of suitability for road/off road. My current bike is classed as a hybrid but more suitable to road biking. Wheels are a lot thinner.. bit like I how I want to be :)

In terms of chocolate, once i give up completely my will power is quite good, until Easter time. I love Cadbury's mini eggs, but fortunately for me, Easter came just after Christmas, so I was able to scoff a couple of bads before midnight on the 31st December :)

I don't crave it at the moment, and have no desire, but that can change. Dog walking is brilliant for the exercise part of things, as is cycling. I've also found the My Fitness Pal great for recording calories, it's great to able to monitor what you're eating.

I've also discovered the weight watchers range of foods. Lemon and Ginger biscuits are great, not only are they only 45 calories a biscuit, but they come in packs of two, so I'm not tempted to open another pack :)

Thanks for all your messages, it's good to know there's support out there.. seems i've come to the right place :)

Ian

www.mad4mel.co.uk
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Tassles , and i'm a chocoholic.........

I saw this today and thought it may be appropriate to this conversation;

◦Diet tip: Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It'll take the edge off your appetite and you'll eat less.

...if only!

The group replies, "Hi Tassles." and after she's done: "Thanks for sharing," I read somewhere that we crave choc due to something in our digestive system sending the signal to our brain. My replacement takes the form of a chocolate protein powder mixed w/ 4 oz. water and 4oz. skim milk. Add the nutty flavor of milled flax seed and it tastes a little like a Reese's. I haven't had a craving for choc in over 6 months. Try it, you might like it. The flax seed has essential fatty acids --- Omega-3 and -6. I use whey protein for it's quick absorption right after a workout or a run.
  • tassles
    tassles Posts: 172
    Options
    Seriously Ian...you are doing great ! and to see your commitment in giving up chocolate is very commendable!

I wish I could be that strong but I have learned to say no to it if it wont fit into my daily calorie count. But I still do make allowances for it ....I guess that if I have to give up everything that I like ..then I will give up dieting altogether before too long.

anyway all the best with your training ! you've got a great attitude!! :wink:
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i'm a chocoholic too. and i am totally addicted to sugar. i am trying to kick this sugar and chocolate addiction.. i write for this "diet" website as one of the featured writers, if you guys are interested - http://www.whatstheskinnie.com/rachel-vegan-journal/

i caved in a few times so far but i think my effort has not been too shabby.

i am going to restrict my alcohol intake as well.. : ((( whatever it takes!