whole roast chicken

Options
ashesfromfire
ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
So, as my poor college student budget grows thinner and thinner I've come to realize how darn cheap it is to buy a whole chicken (vs buying packaged boneless/skinless breast meat) wowza, hello a weeks worth of dinner for around 4 dollars, caching!
anyways, I have just been stuffing a cut up lemon inside, covering the outside with salt and pepper, and (yummy as that is) I've grown tired of the same old thing. Anyone out there have some good recipes?

Replies

• angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I coat the outside with paprika, and a bit of salt and pepper. Sometimes I tuck garlic cloves under the skin.
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Cheyenelikewyoming Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I buy a whole chicken and boil it. It makes a delicious broth. There are so many options when you buy a whole chicken!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Instead of salt and pepper try mrs dash. It comes in tons of flavor profiles
  • Edayz
    Edayz Posts: 2
    Options
    Try either Moroccan, Piri Piri or Portuguese seasoning combined with mixed herbs and a bit of garlic all three work very well on chicken!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ?????? Chicken, rub with oil add LAWRY season salt LIBERALLY... Put cut up lemon or orange in cavity. Put in crockpot that has 3-4 foil balls in bottom of crockpot.... Just so chicken doesn't sit on bottom of crockpot... Cook 4 hours high, 6 hours low, depending on crockpot. I use a liner to help with the mess. This is so good in salads or sandwiches, etc... Tastes like rotisserie chicken from the local deli... I like this when I'm busy and just put together and forget. Hope you like this...
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You could brine it before roasting. With water, salt sugar and any herbs and spices.
    Cut it up, be careful, and use thighs, legs, wings and add onion, garlic, carrots to make a broth for soup.
    Use meat for chicken salad or top green salad. Breast for roasting.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This is delicious and you can use any seasoning you like. I used lawery's and herbs de provenance, greek seasoning too.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/03/roasted-chicken-in-bundt-pan.html
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas!
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Skin the chicken (easy!) cut it into 8 portions, follow this recipe and you have 4 big portions at under 300 calories

http://www.womanmagazine.co.uk/food/hairy-dieters-chicken-jalfrezi-recipe/

Just cook a bit more than it says 'til the chicken pieces are cooked through.