Throw Out the Scale???

Options
As someone with those last 5-10 pounds to lose, I have seen and read a lot of tips and one of them is "Throw out the scale!"

I suppose the idea behind it is that you don't get caught up on the number and just listen to your body. You eat when you are hungry and don't when you're not. Focus on getting lean and toned, not losing pounds.

Anyone out there go by this??? I am considering giving it a shot. Instead of weighing in, I may take a waist measurement weekly instead.

If only you could have a MFP tracking for inches, not pounds.

Replies

• tracyodum
    Options
    I wish I could be like that. I have approx 3 lbs to get to my 1st goal weight of 135 and then 10 lbs to get to my pre pregnancy weight. I admit it that I am a scale junkie~! I wont throw mine out. But once I hit my goal, I may calm down to once a week and then maybe once a month and see how I maintain!
  • mikeveggie68
    Options
    i've heard of it, but for me i need the scale, i need to see my progress.. i listen to my body but still need the scale to validate what i am feeling and give me a smile when the number looks real good.
  • nkteach
    nkteach Posts: 41
    Options
    I am thinking about starting. I feel great and feel like im losing...but only 3 lbs down. Ahhhh. I am going to break out the measuring tape! Best of luck to you!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I dont think I would throw out the scale. I an on my last 10 lbs to lose...and I have allowed myself once a week only. I may skip to once every 2 weeks. Just becasue I am terrified to gain lol. Measuring is also a great idea too!
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat girl. I really need to amp up my strength training to get leaner, and I know I would see results w/ just measurements, but the scale is my go to thing. I weigh everyday at home n the gym. Let me know if you learn any helpful tips!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    As someone with those last 5-10 pounds to lose, I have seen and read a lot of tips and one of them is "Throw out the scale!"

I suppose the idea behind it is that you don't get caught up on the number and just listen to your body. You eat when you are hungry and don't when you're not. Focus on getting lean and toned, not losing pounds.

Anyone out there go by this??? I am considering giving it a shot. Instead of weighing in, I may take a waist measurement weekly instead.

If only you could have a MFP tracking for inches, not pounds.

I agree, I`m going to stop using the scale as well. I believe under ``Check In`` you can do your measurements.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Oh absolutely!

When I was losing weight fast, you could't keep me off the scales. Now that it's coming off extremel s-l-o-w-l-y, I can't STAND to see the numbers on the scales. It made me so depressed that I'd end up over-eating and putting weight ON!

Our journey to health isn't just about ever-decreasing numbers; it's about fitness, nutrition, measurements, shape, etc. Since Xmas, I've only lost three pounds which is disappointing, but I KNOW I'm fitter and leaner - I can feel it! So I decided to only get weighed once a month. I'm not going to let the scales dictate whether I'm happy or not!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I have a bit more to go, but even when I was thinner, I still did much better maintaining when I regularly weighed myself. I completely agree that # shouldn't dictate how you feel and is not necessarily an indicator of health or well being.
  • krystie99
    krystie99 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great blog about weight not being the only way to judge your loss...
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3926473&SPShared=TRUE
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I use both the scale and measurements to track my progress. Right now my weight is up about 5 lbs.....not sure why! I was feeling "fat" and awful about the gain....so I measured myself this morning. My waist and hips have remained the same, and my thigh is measuring 1/4" less! So, I'm guessing some of the gain is muscle! The scale can't tell me that, but measuring in this case was a more accurate indicator of success....
    Keep us posted about the scale....!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You can track your measurements on MFP. I take all measurements on the 1st of every month. Go to My Home>>Check-in. It's great!
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Great blog about weight not being the only way to judge your loss...
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3926473&SPShared=TRUE

Wow! That is crazy and motivating! Thanks for the blog!!!