Fifth time "getting started" with weight loss - HELP!

Options
jadelyndsey
jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
I'm back, and I hope this is the last time I ever have to say this, but I am in dire need of losing weight.

Not just for my physical health, but I need to do this to feel better about myself and the way I look and feel. I've been telling myself for months that my life right now is too busy to concentrate on weightloss, but to be honest, weightloss needs to be put before everything else right now, It's a priority!

I'm 6ft, 15 stone and 5lbs (215 pounds), and my current BMI is 29.1, not far away from obese.

It's my 21st birthday on November 3rd, and by this date I want to be at a healthy weight (or at least en route to healthy), which for me would be 13 stone and 3lb (185lbs) - a BMI of 25. This means I have 30lbs to lose in 12 weeks, which is 2.5lbs per week, however even if I only get to 200lbs I will still be happy I've lost at least some weight! My long term goal is to achieve 165lbs, which I hope to achieve and sustain by next summer.

Anyone on here in a similar position? Anyone know where the best place would be to start? I have a gym membership, and the gym is literally over the road from me but I struggle with finding time to get there. I work 8am-6pm and by the time I've walked my dog, showered, done work at home, housework, it's 11pm and time to go to sleep. My diet is poor, I often order chips from the cafe or bring in a home made pasta dish but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. I do however walk 2 miles to work and sometimes walk back although of late I've been getting dropped off by a coworker or getting a shared taxi.

Any tips? Oh yeh, and things that are budget friendly too please! In 2 weeks, I will be back to working only 25 hours per week with more time to myself but in the mean time I need to start living healthier.

Feel free to add me as a friend so we can support one another in our journeys :)

Replies

• QueenSuzu
    Options
    Oh wow! Do I ever hear you altho I'm a bit older than you, I will be 60 in a few weeks (altho people think I am much younger than that). Anyway, so wanted to be at a healthier place but kept putting off. About a year ago I was there and it was great! Unfortunately I put it all back on and the nice clothes I have do not fit. My breaking point was last night, my husband and I went to a club---he is a musician and had a gig. Nothing looked good on me----I need to get back on track----perhaps we can motivate each other. I walk with my aunt a couple of times a week, but I really think I need to add the gym which is 5 minutes from my house. I guess the first place to start would be to eat sensibly today----baby steps.
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am more trying to tone up not lose weight, but the common thing is diet diet diet. I have wife and kids that don't eat super good, lots of carbs, lots of cheese so it makes it hard. You have to be disciplined and be able to tell other people no when they want to eat unhealthy.

The other problem I have at first is food cravings. Gotta find some low calorie relatively healthy snacks to start curbing your cravings. I for one snack on carrots, pickles, assorted fruits, and celery a lot when i get hungry ,throughout the day. Use the app to count the calories and you start becoming more and more aware of how many calories are in some things that will put you over big time.

Start eating lots of lean meats like chicken, fish (if you like seafood), turkey, veggies. Once you start eating lots of these those heavy foods don't always taste as good as they used to :)

Last, I would start a short workout program. I started T25 because it is only 25 minutes a day and I force myself to get up in the morning and do it at my house. Hope that helps.
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's definetely about baby steps! This much I know for sure! It's so over whelming looking at the numbers and wondering where and how to begin. I've put my display picture as a picture of me at 170lbs, to try and motivate me. This was only 2 years ago! And now I avoid cameras like the plague. This needs to change, I need to be me again!

Thank you both for your advice. Discipline is definetely an area I struggle with. Last night for instance, my partner made 24 chocolate chip cookies with extra chocolate chip. He ate 3 last night, 2 this morning. I've eaten the rest! It's the weekends where I struggle most. I don't eat too bad during the week as although it's pasta and chips etc, that's usually all I have until later which is usually a piece of meat, some potato or rice, with half a plate of vegetables. Weekends on the other hand, take away, chocolate, cake, cookies, ice cream and no exercise at all. It's gunna take work, but I'm ready for it!

I vow to come on here once a day, everyday until I've met my goal - even if it's just checking in! :)
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Good luck in achieving your goals. I've found this very helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Here's an overview but read the whole post.
    1) Eat the appropriate caloric (and macronutrient) intake for your goals and track intake accurately. I think eating mostly nutrient dense and whole foods while still allowing some "treats" is a reasonable starting point/guideline.
    2) Exercise regularly. Do something you enjoy or at worst case choose the least objectionable activity. Ideally you should include some form of resistance based training as a part of your program.
    3) Get adequate rest/sleep.
    4) Establish metrics and use them appropriately.
    5) Repeat.

With regards to food and exercise don't make drastic changes you will not be able to maintain long term. Eat and drink what you enjoy within moderation.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that until your work schedule slows down, just focus on your diet and not exercise. It sounds like you are getting enough to begin with right now, 2 miles a day, plus walking your dog, your probably burning at least 300 calories a day right there. You don't want to jump into exercise with a busy schedule and end up burning out just in time to go back to 25 hours and feel too burnt out to workout.
    As for the diet, just make stuff yourself. Buy frozen veggies (Cheaper, and from my research retain most of its nutrients), eat them with every meal!! On the weekends (or whenever your day off is) make dinner for at least a few nights in advance so you know there's something when you get home instead of takeaway. And on nights you do cook, make enough for leftovers for lunch at work the next day! voila, insta-saver!
    Good luck!!
  • Amber19902014
    Options
    You Sound:drinker: :drinker: just like me lol. I'm 24. Im good at working out its just the eating healthy part. I don't know what and when to eat ?!
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • nomorefatjuu
    nomorefatjuu Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    good luck with your journey
  • quzly
    quzly Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have you tried meal planning? This will help you set up healthy meals for the week so you're not hitting up those quick options. The other thing you could do it home workouts. Set a goal for 20 min a day. Fitnessblender.com has free videos that are for any level. Even if it's 20 min of yoga before bed or a 20 min cardio session before you leave. Best of luck!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I was there. My start? Walking. I'd walk about a mile (around the park at work) every other morning, and do some cardio stuffs (jumping jacks, squats, dance moves) to music. I bought a Polar Heart Rate Monitor so that I'd have a better idea of how many calories I was burning, and it was WAY different from MFP's estimations.

I think that's my biggest flag-wave right there: Go for a heart rate monitor. Reading the numbers on mine convinces me to do a little more ("Wait, I've only burned __ calores? Screw that. 10 more minutes!!") when I'd otherwise want to stop.

My other suggestion: Find something to strive toward. Maybe not to become, but to be comparible (might be the wrong choice of words). My choice was the model Kato. Her stats weren't too far from mine before I'd gained the weight, so for me, it's achievable. And she works out! She used to post a lot of her workout pictures and her lunches on her Facebook, and talk about running on beaches, climbing rocks, hiking... she was inspiring to me. She admitted that her physique was MAJORLY due to workouts as well, and told how often she did what. It kept me going when I felt burned out.

Also: Take pictures!!!!! Sometimes you can't see your progress in mirrors (because you see yourself every day!) and the changes in clothes aren't enough. Photos are a reality check to where you are and (eventually) where you were. I HATED looking at my "start" photos and refused to be photographed anywhere; I hid those pictures from everyone but myself. Now I show them, because I was there and have made it further toward where I want to be.

Best of luck on your restart. Feel free to add me; I log every day.:flowerforyou:
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Walking and jogging are always good. There are some YouTube channels that have exercise routines that are free that you could check out.

If you must eat "unhealthy" food, takeout or whatever then I would suggest eating in smaller portions. Order a side dish version or a kids' meal.

Log your calories so you know how much you're eating. Don't go over the limit. Allow yourself to have some treats so you don't deprive yourself, but stay in the limit. I suggest 80% foods that fit in macros (carbs, fats, proteins) and 20% indulgent (foods that are high in sugar or sodium).

The most important thing for someone who doesn't have a lot free time to exercise is going to be keeping under your calorie limit. Eat at a deficit. Try not to overeat because you will probably not have time to burn off those extra calories and it will only set you back in your goals.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 210, and 20 years old. I have a gym membership but struggle to make the time to get there and my family makes poor decisions when buying groceries so I have a hard time eating healthy. We seem to be in a similar situation, so feel free to add me - we can support each other and keep each other accountable on our journeys! :)
  • Infamous624
    Infamous624 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is probably my 5th or 6th time starting back up on this fitness journey. I am 25, 141 pounds, with a BMI 26.6. I also find it hard to get into a regimen of going to the gym. I did crossfit for about two months and I loved it because the coaches and other people made me want to show up but it became very expensive. I have a gym membership now but being unemployed for a couple month I just find I am too lazy. I also love to eat! I'm starting work on Tuesday and going back to school so M-F my day will begin at 8am and end at midnight. I'm hoping to find some motivation to also stick with counting calories, eating healthy, and finding a way to exercise around my soon to be busy schedule! feel free to Add, I need all the motivation possible!!!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Good luck in achieving your goals. I've found this very helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Here's an overview but read the whole post.
    1) Eat the appropriate caloric (and macronutrient) intake for your goals and track intake accurately. I think eating mostly nutrient dense and whole foods while still allowing some "treats" is a reasonable starting point/guideline.
    2) Exercise regularly. Do something you enjoy or at worst case choose the least objectionable activity. Ideally you should include some form of resistance based training as a part of your program.
    3) Get adequate rest/sleep.
    4) Establish metrics and use them appropriately.
    5) Repeat.

With regards to food and exercise don't make drastic changes you will not be able to maintain long term. Eat and drink what you enjoy within moderation.

This!!! :flowerforyou:

.....and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • theresar719
    theresar719 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm 5'7 and 225lbs and 29 years old. In the past 5 years or so (since college), I've gained about 40lbs. It's mainly due to eating out a lot and not working out. In college and high school I always was involved in some sport so I maintained regular activity and had a lot more time. I also find my metabolism has slowed down so much now that I sit at a desk all day. I also do pretty well with my eating during the week, but the weekends kill me. Usually going out to dinner or ordering take-out and drinking. I don't feel that I'm that over-weight but when I see pictures of myself I can't believe I look like that. I have a number of weddings coming up the end of this year and next year and I'd really like to get start losing weight and having a healthier lifestyle. I would love the support to keep up the working out and eating more healthy 7 days a week.
  • desutho
    desutho Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I recently read about different types of diets and their pros and cons. I decided on low-carb eating for myself. There are many variations -- Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, etc, I chose this style of diet because of its other benefits, like lowering blood glucose (my doctor is suspecting I am prediabetic) so I started with www.dietdoctor.com and read many other websites about Low Carb High Fat lifestyles.

This may not be right for you, but it was the right choice for me. It is easier for me to limit the ITEMS I eat than the AMOUNTS. So basically, I eliminated sugar, bread, cereal and pasta. I won't buy anything with added sugar, and I don't keep any of these things in my house. The foods I do eat have a higher fat content -- I have bacon and eggs for breakfast every day -- but I am satisfied for hours and not standing in front of the fridge looking for something to snack on. I don't miss sugar, and I crave red meat and fresh veggies. I feel better and have more energy... and I just started this in mid-July and have lost 22 lbs so far!

I happen to feel this is the best option for ME. But it's just an example for you. Find what will WORK for you, not the most popular or latest craze. If you can't stand eating grapefruit, a "grapefruit every morning" diet won't work.