Hello, I'm nerdgasmm: 22, female, and new to the gym.

So, yeah pretty much new to all sorts of things right now. I finally have some equipment to work on which is a weight off my shoulders. The last time I was fit, I was living in the country and rode my bike two miles everyday sometimes twice a day. But then I moved to the city and running/biking became a lot more frightening than before. All the judgmental staring, and the creep wolf-whistles. I just stopped altogether with all exercise. But I'm finally at a gym now and I'm determined to lose the weight I gained not exercising, and possibly becoming more fit than before.

So far my routine is one hour of Aerobics workout on the elliptical. 4 reps of 15 on the hip abduction machine (15lb weight). Along with 15 extensions on each arm to build my biceps, and one rep of 20 (7.5)dumbbell presses??(idk what they're called). Starting with 3 reps of 5 inclined twisted crunches.(still don't know what that's called, but you put your arms together and twist to one side and then crunch, while twisted) Anyways that's all I got for now, and I'd love some suggestions.

Goals: I would like to get a lean/flat tummy. Tone my arms. Get thick(build my gluts). Minimize my thighs. Tone my calves. And the biggest one of all, lose a couple cup sizes.

So throw it at me. I'm ready to take on the world.

EDIT: 5.7', starting 157lbs. 39-29.5-40

Replies

• nerdgasmm
    nerdgasmm Posts: 16 Member
    Oh and some new friends in fitness would be nice.
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Hi! I would love to be friends! Add me!
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Wishing you success in your fitness goals! Feel free to add me.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Since you're looking for muscle definition, I would recommend dialing back the cardio a little to save energy for power lifting. Starting Strength and StrongLifts 5X5 are great programs for lifting heavy. Squats/deadlifts will do more for you than a hip abduction machine (especially your glutes, bum, and back).
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Feel free to add me as well. I agree with Britishbroccoli on the lifting stuff. Weights are the way to go, but light weights don't do enough! Heavy complex movements are the ticket. Search in the community area. You'll see lots of ladies who have made terrific changes using heavy complex movements, and developing super attractive bodies (Now I sound creepy!).
  • nerdgasmm
    I was planning on doing squats and some stair steps, along with some other various change outs. My gym instructor suggested smaller weights with more reps for toning, but heavy weights for gains. I'm not at the gains yet, I want to just shove off all the weight right now and then build from there. Not body build. I don't want abs, or hugely defined arms, just moderately toned. I want to know what I'm working with first, if that makes sense.

I'm built like an athlete, and I don't want to build too much muscle, or if I do, mostly lean muscle. Running is kind of my favorite thing ever. I actually do it more for fun than as a workout.

Definitely going to try the Strong Lifts 5x5 tho, that sounds like it'll do something.

I've been working out with one of my male friends, so he wanted to start me out easy I guess.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Here's my response to light weights for toning...BS. Fitness instructors who know what they are talking about encourage their clients to lift heavier. Now heavy is relative. But you'll be losing weight as you diet. Exercise is going to firm your muscles. Most ladies who lift heavy have wonderful tone. They often don't GAIN weight, they LOSE weight. But the "instructors" are out there incorrectly teaching people how to "lift" and repeating advice that was out of date 30 years ago. When will they learn? Not to say all fitness instructors are bad, But certainly most of them don't have a clue.
  • AdiabaticPerformance
    AdiabaticPerformance Posts: 170 Member
    how does one actually have a nerdgasmn? Does it involve star trek? (if so i'm in)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I was planning on doing squats and some stair steps, along with some other various change outs. My gym instructor suggested smaller weights with more reps for toning, but heavy weights for gains. I'm not at the gains yet, I want to just shove off all the weight right now and then build from there. Not body build. I don't want abs, or hugely defined arms, just moderately toned. I want to know what I'm working with first, if that makes sense.

I'm built like an athlete, and I don't want to build too much muscle, or if I do, mostly lean muscle. Running is kind of my favorite thing ever. I actually do it more for fun than as a workout.

Definitely going to try the Strong Lifts 5x5 tho, that sounds like it'll do something.

I've been working out with one of my male friends, so he wanted to start me out easy I guess.

It is a myth that small weights high reps = tone, big weights, low reps = bulk. You cannot bulk at a calorie deficit. You will not get abs or hugely defined arms. I think that you will get what you want if you try powerlifting. It's great that you run and that you enjoy it. It's also awesome that you're willing to try StrongLifts, especially if you have someone who can help you with your form (I am still trying to find the sweet spot with my squat).

Here's a great article about "Toning" and "High Reps" that I've seen around MyFitnessPal a few times. There are also some more scholarly articles about that explain the science behind lifting, but I won't bore you with that just yet ;)
    http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/2-myths-about-women-and-weight-lifting-debunked
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Welcome! Weights are awesome and don't be afraid of lifting heavy. :)
    Feel free to add me! (:
  • nerdgasmm
    Oh, damn. Well, I'm definitely going to look into doing more weight training then. I think, I need to up my routine, today I passed my running marker(beating my last), but after I had done the rest of my routine, I still felt normal, like I hadn't even worked out. I might feel it more tomorrow, at least I hope so.... But I've always agreed with the whole "no pain, no gain" theory. If I can't feel anything, I feel like I've done nothing.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Awesome name! Good luck with your goals! :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    You have gotten some great advice.

Lifting heavy (gradually each week) was the BEST thing I could have done for my 40!year old self a few years back.

Let me assure you, it made me look SMALLER because I was eating in a deficit...so I was getting stronger and looking better than I ever have.

I think pics say it better.

Before:
    96ca0a41b40ac0b99abe4aafbc77f35ad44e.jpg

during:
    96ca6282bc6eb19568ea0e2ad0a827e08af8.jpg
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    <
    Another vote for lifting heavy.

I've been strength training for 2 years. Combined with a moderate calorie deficit, it has completely transformed my body.
  • nerdgasmm
    Oh wow, many votes for strength training. Lol, definitely looking into it.