Runners/Joggers, I need your help!

Options
Okay so I want to start jogging but I have no idea where to begin. All my life I have hated running but I want to make a change for a healthier me. Where do I start? I have never jogged before. I am 5'3 and 180lbs. Should I do a combo of speed walking and jogging to start out?

Replies

• jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I recently started jogging myself and I am using the zenlabs C25K app (Couch to 5K) It starts with just 60 sec jogging with 90 sec walking and it builds from there. I started out barely being able to jog for 30 seconds but I am rather surprised at how helpful the app is. I have yet had a day I haven't been able to finish. The one suggestion I would have.... if you are struggling... slow down. The idea behind the app is not to get you running fast, but for a longer period of time. Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'll second the c25k program and the Zen Labs app! I used it about two and half years ago and it worked great - I'm still running and enjoying it. If I can learn to run at the age of 43, anyone can! :smile:
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Another C25K grad here and still running.
    I was never a runner. Tried a few times in the past but couldn't do it. But with the C25K program, it was possible and fun.

jsandie76 gives good advice. If you start feeling tired or start panting while running, don't stop; slow down. It makes a world of difference and will get you to your goal.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I never used a program to start myself running so mine is cold turkey. I would set a distance goal for myself - say a mile. I'd try to run it and walk when I needed to. I'd do it 4 times a week. When I got to where I could run the whole thing I'd add some distance. That's what worked for me. It was pretty simple. Some tips:

Buy GOOD Shoes. Go to a running specialty store and have them look at your old shoes, your feet and how you walk and run so they can give you the best kind of shoes that are suited for you. You can expect to spend $100 or more but believe me this is the single most important investment for running. I have arthritis in my back and a previous broken hip and I run 4 times a week because I have good shoes.

Most doctors recommend not adding more than 10% of time or distance when you increase your workouts in order to reduce your rick of injury. Talk to your doctor before you start running to see what they recommend when adding distance or time.

Eat. Some people can do good cardio on an empty stomach but not me. I have to eat something before I run. Figure out what works for you. I eat a half a bagel thin before my run (50 cals) and then the other half after with some greek yogurt. This helps my energy not spike and crash. But again, figure out what works for you. Most people that start running experience engery drops and it's *usually* from diet.

Good luck!!!!
  • Linasrunning
    Options
    Hi!

First of all, WELL DONE for taking the step to research! Running is the most natrual thing for us but still, with no prior experience or cardio training I believe you should start slowly but yet with a clear goal and the C25K program is ideal for that. Try it out! (And don't panic if you can't manage the first part of the program, there is also a pre-C25K program if you need to!)

As for the shoes, don't stress too much about it and don't spend a fortune (unless you want to and have the possibility to of course). Unless you're doing many runs and long runs any sneakers will do in the beginning.

Try to have fun and be proud of your attempts!

/Lina
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I didn't really use a program. I would just go outside and run til I couldn't, then I would walk for a bit, then run, walk, etc. The next time I would try to push myself to go to "the next mailbox" or "the next light post". When you're consistent (running 3-4 days a week) it's pretty amazing how far you can go after not much time. I eventually did use the last 4 weeks of the couch to 5K program when prepping for my first 5K.
  • DeannaTN
    DeannaTN Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As for the shoes, don't stress too much about it and don't spend a fortune (unless you want to and have the possibility to of course). Unless you're doing many runs and long runs any sneakers will do in the beginning.

^^NOT THIS!! I started the C25K program the first time with the wrong shoes and ended up sidelined with an injury. Good shoes are very important! Take it from someone who learned the hard way.
  • Linasrunning
    Options
    What I meant to say was, that any sneakers that doesn't hurt you will do. You don't need to get yourself analyzed and fitted for hundreds of dollars before starting a beginners running program. That would be silly. The person below must have had bad luck or an absolute terrible pair of shoes.

I just don't like how people in these fora put preassure on beginners to be equipped for hundreds of dollars, drink protein powder and eat peanut butter after each run - I just wish people could look upon running as something very natrual and uncomplicated. It scares people off from even trying. With that said, listen very carefully to your body when you start training and take any sign of injury seriously and be careful :)

Have fun!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I have to disagree with the previous poster about the shoes. Most shoes will work for walking. If you're going to run you need running shoes. I have experience with this and have many friends and family members that took a casual approach to just running in any sneakers. Even beginners trying to only run/walk a mile in the beginning suffered pain and injuries that were purely associated with poor shoes. PAIN is the largest thing that will discourage someone from running. They think if it hurts then they shouldn't do it. If you have pain when running, it's almost always because you're using poor shoes.
  • alyssareyans
    alyssareyans Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K from Zenlabs too. I loved it. It was a great start for me. I now run 4 days a week. I'll be the first to admit I'm a cheapskate when it comes to spending money on things for working out but I do not do that with my shoes. I'm willing to spend what I need to in order to run. My running shoes are the only thing I'm willing to spend on. Also be sure to change them regularly. Most say between 300-500 miles you should change your shoes.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a pair of good shoes that are right for your feet and gait and that fit properly. If you think you don't care for running now, you really won't like it when you end up with something like shin splints. As far as shoes being pricey, it really only needs to be for the first pair. I just got a replacement for mine online today for $40 bucks less than my first pair.... same exact shoe, but they came out with a new model- so don't fret they don't always have to break the bank unless you want them to!

I did C25k. It worked for me- I'm still running 1.5 years later and now working towards half marathons 2 and 3 in the next couple of months. It sounds like there are a TON of apps for c25k type programs now. Find one that looks good to you and use it. Some people may not have followed a set program but this will help you increase your running amounts at a rate that isn't going to be too fast and get you injured.