Light exercise or "rest" day?

Options
Hey everyone! I've been going around in my head about this one.
I did a lot of cardio yesterday, fo me anyway, just getting back into things...
I took two walks..all together probably about a mile and a half. And I did some circuit training..
The question I have is, should I rest today or incorporate some light exercise? Something like yoga perhaps?
Thing is, I'm feeling it today! Not too bad, but my thighs and knees have certainly took a hit!!!
Another thing is, I don't particularly even FEEL like resting...I just really want to know, would I be hurting anything if I did do something today?

Thank you everyone :)

Replies

• ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    light exercise is good sretching yoga and even some walking will prevent and help keep it from tightening up more is what I have found. Scientific terms are different I am sure someone will give you them but I have come to understand its blood flowing to the areas and helps some type of lactic acid that is there after exercise to get out of the body. Also make sure you rehydrate Good luck and glad you are starting congrats.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    light exercise
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need a rest from that activity. You are sore because you're just getting back into things, but that wasn't a level of activity for which you would need to schedule actual rest. I still walk 3 miles plus on my rest days as it is not a high intensity or vigorous workout. The more intense your regular workouts are, the more important rest days are...but even rest days can be generally active if you want them to be...it's just rest from vigorous exercise.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you don't feel like you need a rest day then don't take one. Do some light exercise if you feel like it. What works for me is that I don't take a rest day unless I need one. Some days I have less energy then others but I still feel like I need to workout so I will do something less strenuous or fun. I have found, for me, that if I don't do some kind of exercise first thing in the morning I feel tired and sluggish for the rest of the day. I hope this helps.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't think that that amount of walking counts as exercise, but I bet the circuit training was hard going. If you've done two or three days of that in a row, then I'd seriously think about taking a rest day. You may not feel you need it, but you'll probably feel the benefit when you get back to it.
  • cwlane
    cwlane Posts: 3
    Options
    thank you!!!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    a term used around here often is "active rest day." it is a break from your normal exercise routine, but still doing some light to moderate exercise, like walking, a short hike or bike ride, stretching or yoga too.

listen to your body. you will know when to completely take a day off and when you can still be active.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Your yesterday doesn't sound very strenous. Your muscles might be sore, but they're certainly not exhausted. You should be fine to do some yoga, etc. and get the stiffness out. You should establish a goal, plan out a program or pick one, and stick to it.