It's not an all or nothing deal in this fat loss journey

Options
The problem with a lot of people on diets (and I've been guilty of this) is that a lot of times we all try to consume too few calories in attempt to lose weight really fast. The problem though is that we didn't gain weight fast, so we shouldn't be in a serious rush to lose the fat.

Now a lot of times we may set a realistic daily caloric goal in mind. Whether we over or underestimate, the point is that many times a person will want a food so bad that the moment they indulge and go 100 calories about their maintenance, they feel really guilty, they feel a lot of despair, and that guilt causes them to have a big slice of cake, possibly followed by a 2nd cake, a 3rd cake, and on and on. You get the point.

And that's the problem. You try to eat a low caloric intake, but then when you fail to achieve your daily goal, it's very easy to get sucked in and just start binging. I mean you blew it, so why not just keep stuffing yourself to you pass out?

But it doesn't have to be that way. Let's say you exercised and ate 500 fewer calories than your maintenance. So that puts you close to lets say 900 calories in deficit. That's fantastic. But let's say you have a treat and now you're just at 4 or 500 calories below your deficit. Or lets say you go 100 over, even. You don't need to feel bad and you certainly don't need to start binging because you feel like you've let yourself down.

Today I was at about 1,600 calories. I was a bit hungry. I have been working out 6 to 7 days a week, both with weights and all kinds of vigorous cardio. I go really hard, I really push myself. I was hungry. I ate a slice of pizza with my brother, it was about 300 to 400 calories. And I even took the day off from exercise because my foot was a little swollen and I have been having success. But guess what. After eating that slice of pizza, I actually felt much much better and had much more energy. And now I'm full.

Now there were more slices on the table. Boy they sure looked good, the smell of the cheese and sauce, for a moment I felt like I could eat the whole thing. I took another couple bites and called it quits. That's it. In the past it would have been easy to just say to myself, ''Oh man I blew it. Might as well start tomorrow. Since I blew it, I'm just gonna cheat and start eating as much as I can and start over tomorrow.''

The problem with that kind of guilt and mentality is that those extra calories you consume don't go anywhere. Your body does not forget that you ate them, they are still right there waiting to be stored in your body. And the reason I wrote this was to give you an example of what to do when you do have that snack that you think you maybe shouldn't have had. What you do is you accept that you ate it and satisfied yourself, and you move on. You don't keep eating more, especially if you're not hungry. And believe me, in the long run you'll save THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of calories that you won't have to burn off later on. All because you stopped after you had enough and didn't give in and just binge on something just because it tastes good.

Now food is great. But if you have goals in mind, you have to ask yourself this: What tastes better, the food or getting to my goal? And once you get to your goal, you just have to maintain your progress and it will become a part of your daily life. It gets better, it gets better.

Replies

• Goosie71
    Goosie71 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well said! We're all far to hard on ourselves. A little of everything is ok, You just proved that you don't need to feel bad about enjoying the food you like but the point is to stop after the 1 or 2 slices and not devour the whole pie. Well done, and thanks for such an inspiring post it really helps me today.
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Great post - it is easy to give up on a day, but for me thinking about things in a weekly context helps - some days I'm way under, some days over and it all averages out to my daily calorie goal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!
  • jennxx7
    jennxx7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is such a great post, really well-said.... It took literally years for me to transition out of that mindset and, no surprise, now I'm finally seeing the kinds of results I want. I hope more people take the time to fully read this post if they're having a tough day! Lots of wisdom in there.
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Excellent post and one I needed to read today. I've been guilty of the "Well, I blew it, so I might as well just eat everything in sight" mindset many times. Moderation is difficult for me, but I'm working at it. Thanks for reminding me to keep things in perspective!
  • crazymommy5
    crazymommy5 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ["Now there were more slices on the table. Boy they sure looked good, the smell of the cheese and sauce, for a moment I felt like I could eat the whole thing. I took another couple bites and called it quits. That's it. In the past it would have been easy to just say to myself, ''Oh man I blew it. Might as well start tomorrow. Since I blew it, I'm just gonna cheat and start eating as much as I can and start over tomorrow.'' ]

That's the key! Having the willpower to stop yourself from consuming those extra calories that you know your body doesn't need. Channeling in that strength from within to say NO- that extra slice of pizza, that extra cup of ice cream, that extra piece of cake will sabotage all my efforts to achieve my goals. For me some days are a struggle. But when I look at my diary and I remember all the self-control I maintained throughout the day I feel so proud. Instead of rewarding myself with food, I reward myself with self-esteem. Good luck on your journey!
  • MaryHuckleberry
    MaryHuckleberry Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this--I have done this cycle/pattern over and over again in my life and THIS time I'm really trying not to go down the same path--which always leads to gaining back what I've lost plus 15-20 lbs. I'm printing off your post and putting it on my inspiration board!