worked out stayed in calorie range and gained?

Options
Hello all

So I worked out each day (difficult strength training) P90X. Stayed in my calorie range and the scale this morning said I gained.

Has this happened to you? Any suggestions? I have increased my calorie range a bit thinking maybe I was too low., Last week I lost 3.4 this week I thought I would try for the same or better so I lowered my allowed calories.

My net calories were good this week and I was diligent about what i ate and the calories I burned

What do you think?

Replies

• backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Do you measure your portions, i.e. weigh what you eat?

I used to log my food but then realised that my "portion" of muesli was a lot more than 40g etc - LOL

Also what exercise do you do?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello all

So I worked out each day (difficult strength training) P90X. Stayed in my calorie range and the scale this morning said I gained.

Has this happened to you? Any suggestions? I have increased my calorie range a bit thinking maybe I was too low., Last week I lost 3.4 this week I thought I would try for the same or better so I lowered my allowed calories.

My net calories were good this week and I was diligent about what i ate and the calories I burned

What do you think?
    Hard to say without seeing your diary..what you ate could definately play a role in a gain
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are probably retaining water to aid in protecting them and recovery from new, strenuous exercise. Once you get use to the exercise the water will not be needed and will be shed. Don't fret. Maybe while on the program only weigh yourself after each phase (30 days) and instead focus on how you feel and how your cloths fit.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to look at your food diary, but one major lesson I learned since being on MFP is that sodium and sugar are your biggest culprits. Since I have kept my sodium intake really low, I haven't had much trouble losing weight. You may have to avoid prepackaged foods, and prepare your own so you can control the sodium and sugar content in them. My full breakfast usually has as much sodium as one slice of regular bread!

Some changes I make in using recipes:
    No salt in baked desserts (don't need it)
    Tomato paste and lemon juice, or even salt replacement in main dishes
    Agave Nectar as sugar replacement (doesn't affect your sugar level as much)
    Less oil than what the recipe calls for (which is usually too much).

Feel free to view my diary.
    Good luck!!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Bloat could be a factor. I've lost track of how many times I was ready to punt the scale out the window, only to find out later that it was hormones... At my age hormones seem to have plans of their own and don't necessarily follow a calendar, lol. Other things can cause bloat too, like salt, sugar, and even a low-grade illness. Then there's the possibility of needing a laxative once in awhile. Or maybe your metabolism isn't as fast as expected for some reason. All kinds of things can throw off what we expect to see as "progress" but when you look at it long term (over the course of months or a year) it tends to work out.
  • MHW22
    MHW22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Congratulations !! P90X is a HARD program, created to build muscle fast - and based off the fact that you gained a little - you must be doing it right :) . Here's the deal, Muscle weighs more than fat, but muscle EATS the fat in turn - so effectivly when doing this type of program, you should EXPECT to gain weight prior to losing. The biggest thing you need to realize is that in body sculpting - the scale is not a good judgement of progress, bc you WILL gain weight , BUTTTT you will find that you are losing inches in your face, arms, waist & thighs ultimatly making your clothes fit better and you LOOK better!! I am proud of you for tackeling this program - it - is - hard!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Congratulations !! P90X is a HARD program, created to build muscle fast - and based off the fact that you gained a little - you must be doing it right :) . Here's the deal, Muscle weighs more than fat, but muscle EATS the fat in turn - so effectivly when doing this type of program, you should EXPECT to gain weight prior to losing. The biggest thing you need to realize is that in body sculpting - the scale is not a good judgement of progress, bc you WILL gain weight , BUTTTT you will find that you are losing inches in your face, arms, waist & thighs ultimatly making your clothes fit better and you LOOK better!! I am proud of you for tackeling this program - it - is - hard!

Not quite, it is next to imposible to build muscle on a caloric deficit diet, just water weight, plain and simple.
  • julsdolphin
    julsdolphin Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat! A pound of muscle equals a pound and a pound of fat equals a pound. Muscle is more compact so your body will change shape and get smaller. If you just started P90X you may be retaining water. Make sure you are drinking more than 8 glasses recommended so you're muscles don't feel dehydrated and try to hold onto whatever moisture they can. Stick with it - you'll see the results!
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I was so please when I can back and read all this.
    In terms of portion control I weight everything so I dont think that is it.
    I may be retaining water as my muscles HURT after that program!

I do watch my sodium a rarely go over. I the only thing I did differently this week was increase my protein ( and likely fat to obtain protein) and I reduced my calories

Maybe I need to eat my exercise calories! I love p90X and dont want to quit. My muscles hurt so I make sure to try to up protein.

I have measured myself and will know in a few weeks inches lost.

I will keep on keeping on I guess
  • amylynna1
    Options
    Thank you for this article it makes sense and I will try to remember this. If things dont change next week
  • amylynna1
    Options

thank you for this article... Amylynna!
  • amylynna1
    Options
    Hello all

What do you think?
    Hard to say without seeing your diary..what you ate could definately play a role in a gain

I will open up my food diary