Stroke and 127 lost with pictures!!!

Options
mart001
mart001 Posts: 194 Member
Thanks,

Yes, I realize I am a lot better off now than before, and know things could be a lot worse. I remember after the stroke, not knowing if I would even walk again or even end up in an assisted living facility, as I did not know what the outcome would be. I suppose, at that time, even the dr's were not even sure. I was in the hospital for 35 days, 14 of which were in intensive care. Started off in a wheelchair, which I was not allowed to get in or out of my self, then progressed to a walker, then to a cane and finally nothing. I went to physical, speech and occupational therapy for the last 3 weeks in the hospital, as the first 2 weeks, they wouldnt let me do it until they got my blood pressure under control. Then after being discharged, the therapy continued for about another 2 months. I remember them telling me I was lucky, well in a weird way, and showed me others that had a sinilar stroke, who would always be in a wheelchair and probably never progress and then alot don't even survive.

So I realize that i have come far. I do drive, even though that took awhile as I couldnt reach with my left arm to close the car door, so had to reach with the right arm. I would avoid drive thrus as I knew reaching was a problem.

I was still eating bad,and of course not getting any exercise, so ended up gaining about 50 pounds, getting up to 282, which was one of the worst things after a stroke, because they say if you have 1 stroke, you are more likely to have a 2nd. I was was taking alot of medication, about 28 pills a day, many being blood pressure and pain, as there was damage to the left side of my body, and still is even to this day. There is always a burnt, cold tingling feel in my hands and feet, a tightness in my legs and knee, and my balance is off especially when my legs get tired.

Then a friend told me about My Fitness Pal. I never was concerned about diet or calories, which is probably why I ended up with the stroke and being here. I love computers, electronics, and challanges, and was not sure if I would last on mfp for a week. Then a week later jan 14,2013, I bought a fitbit thinking it may motivate me. Before that, I probably walked 500-1000 steps a day. I started off slow, and now have walked 2700 miles. I guess it worked.

I realize if I didn't take the steps I did, I easily would have been over 300 pounds now, possibly having another stroke. I have gone from a 48 waist to a 32 and a xxl shirt to a small.

I do not have cheat days. I figure that that is what got me here. That's not to say I am perfect. Now though if I want something bad, I work for it first, then eat it. For instance, if I want a 500 calorie cheesburger, before I would just eat it, but now I will exercise and when I burn those calories, then I will go eat it, kind of like a reward and it makes it easier knowing if I obtain that number, I will eat something I like.

The one thing I didn't realize is the social aspect of this. I have met so many people from all over the world, some that I speak to almost everyday.

Now that I basically at my goal, I am staying with it to be held accountable and not to be like so many others I have seen, that get to their goal, leave and are back a year later, gaining everything back plus more.

Also, I am hoping that maybe something that I have gone thru, can maybe prevent others from doing the same.

Before picture taken Jan 4,2013

96e34177-89b6-461e-bba5-219bdd7715af.jpg[/URL]

After picture taken July 12,2014
10501975_10152560540103139_7928013153061434813_n.jpg[/URL]

Anyway, hope you have a great weekend and feel free to contact me anytime and feel free to add me as a friend...

By the way, originally from New Jersey and now live in South Florida....:smile::smile:

Replies

• ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story - and you sure look good now!
  • AdventureVix
    AdventureVix Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration. I broke my back 10 years ago and went through a similar rehab, whilst unable to walk I also started eating and gained around 40lbs. A couple of years ago I decided the less I weigh, the less my back needs to carry around. I still have days (like today) where walking is a challenge but I'm 7lbs down (17down from my start weight a couple of years ago) and determined to get to a healthy weight and lifestyle.
    Your story is definitely inspiration to keep me going. Really well done!
  • rachdun
    rachdun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You look great - thanks for sharing your story.
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Yay Mart! You are such an inspiration to us all. You were one of my first few friends on here and I'm so very thankful to have someone like you. Keep it up, and keep on walkin'! :-)
  • RobbieCle
    Options
    There is such an amazing change between the two, brilliant :D
  • CourtLloyd
    CourtLloyd Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You look great! I hope you feel fantastic as well!! Great inspiration for all of us!
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration!
    You overcame it all. Congratulations! :bigsmile:
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    awesome!:smile:
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your hard work paying off and actively combating your health! Best wishes for your continued health! :)
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! You look awesome!
  • kathy6655
    kathy6655 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are a true inspiration you look great well done you :smile:
  • staylo13
    staylo13 Posts: 13
    Options
    Awesome job! You look great...
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thank you for sharing your inspiring story!
  • anewstart1011
    anewstart1011 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wowsers! These success stories are my motivation and God willing with my handwork I will have my own success story.
  • shadeslanding
    shadeslanding Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like your story and congratulations!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's an incredible difference. :drinker:
  • Trez32
    Trez32 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Your story is incredible and you look amazing, thank you for sharing this with us!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! It's very inspiring :). You look amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!