How to accurately gauge energy expenditure/activity level?

Options
How do you accurately assess your activity level? Most sites give one sentence fragment to describe each level. For example, I sit at a desk for about 4-6 hours per day. I walk to work. I work out (calisthenics-heavy) for about 2 hours per day 5 days a week, and 90 minutes one day per week, with one day off. At home, I sit sometimes, but generally move about doing housework etc. I don't watch TV. Until recently I set myself to 'sedentary' and just figured I'd log cals burned. But I've read that is inaccurate, so I'd like to re-set it to figuring TDEE. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Honestly there is no catch all bracket for activity level. It varies wildly from person to person and changes in your life can and will change it dramatically. The only real way to find your TDEE is to guesstimate it try that food for 2 weeks - months and adjust it to how your weight moves. For example.

Jane estimates her TDEE at 2200. She decides she wants to lose a lb a week so she subtracts 500 from that. And eats 1700 calories a day.

She averages out at half a lb lost per week. She now knows that her Tdee is 250 lower than she thought and is therefore 1950. And starts eating 1450 correspondingly.

And remember the longer you maintain a set calorie level the more accurate your TDEE estimate will be. Also be aware that subtle things can change your TDEE. Suddenly move closer to work and don't have to walk an extra hour a day? You bet that's gonna show up.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For the everyday activities of daily living (house cleaning, walk to work etc) I include in selecting activity level. The out and out exercise (calisthenics) I log as that seems outside just getting through the day.
  • ldy_78
    ldy_78 Posts: 61
    Options
    Honestly there is no catch all bracket for activity level. It varies wildly from person to person and changes in your life can and will change it dramatically.

And remember the longer you maintain a set calorie level the more accurate your TDEE estimate will be. Also be aware that subtle things can change your TDEE. Suddenly move closer to work and don't have to walk an extra hour a day? You bet that's gonna show up.

Hey thanks. That makes total sense. I know BMR doesn't change, but TDEE? I am slowly encroaching upon a huge change in my energy expenditure - new, high intensity job, perhaps more walking, and a lot more time on the go. I've been feeling my hunger cues increase steadily. I NEED food! And on the message boards there's a lot of talk about not eating back calories, but honestly if I DON't eat them back, I don't think I could make it through the day! Not overweight, not underweight, but would like to shred some fat and tone up, so this works for me :). Thank you!
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Of course you eat the calories back. If you set a goal, say 500 deficit, you eat everything back _beyond_ that goal.

But if you suddenly get a new job that's a lot more demanding, start high rather than low. It's better to stall for a month than to have your energy level in the gutter. I'm speaking from experience.