PERIOD WEIGHT

Options
I just had my period. It's been irregular sometimes so I don't really know how to deal with it properly. I've been getting crazy cravings, and I've gained all these weight! It's been almost a week and I can't seem to pick myself up on the healthy wagon again. Does anyone have any advice and is this normal??

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yes this is normal. Difficult to offer advice though as I'm not sure what you mean by this, "I can't seem to pick myself up on the healthy wagon again".
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Plan your day ahead adding healthy foods. And then just follow the menu?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Apparently this is your first period.
  • Littlemissjackie1
    Littlemissjackie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 3-5lbs during my period, and I crave for sweets, chocolate and fatty foods like a MAD WOMAN. I think it is normal, it is hormonal in my case. I allow myself to have one "guilty pleasure" treat. I weigh myself every Friday once a week. I ignore the scale for this whole week because it's water gain and such and I don't want to feel discouraged. I'll weigh in the following Friday. I get really bad cramps and migraines during this time so I don't exercise, and If I do it is mainly stretching and If I feel up to it, I'll walk a bit. Hope this helps!
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If your period is irregular, you may need to talk to your doctor. Birth control regulates it, so you should only have a max of 1 period a month and it's almost always the same time. And yeah it's totally normal to crave stuff during your period, not sure why exactly, but it happens.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You should see your OB doctor for the irregular cycles. As far as water weight is concerned, it is normal and will pass. If you are giving into your cravings, you need to find a way to not overeat and gain fat pounds. Try eating at your maintenance level for that week. You won't lose or gain.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is normal.

I haven't really got much experience to be honest because I have been on the pill for years and honestly did not crave anything.
    The last 2 months I have not been taking it I have gained 3-5lb the week before my period and I crave all sorts of sweet things in the week of my period.
    The first time it happened, I put on a further 2-3lb due to eating crap!!
    This time I have put on 4.5lb.

I have decided to have things to hand or in the fridge that are sweet but not high in calories so when an unexpected craving hits, I can grab that rather than a share bag of sweets!!

I have bought some weight watchers dessert style yogurts to see if they will curb my sweet tooth, they are 58-61 calories a pot so wont break the calorie bank.
    I had one tonight instead of a doughnut (my fella bought some jam dougnuts home) and it was delicious (the yogurt not the doughnut)!!

I have also seen a recipe for apple crisps/chips.
    Slice an apple up thinly sprinkle with cinnamon and bake in the oven until golden.

Could you not try upping your calorie goal just for the time you are on your period? Maybe to 1/2lb or even maintain?

Good Luck, you will find something that works for you, but I think it will be trial and error.