Is it hard to reach 115 lbs if your 5'3

Options
I am 5'3 and 140 lbs .I would like yo be 115 but I heard that once your body reach a healthy weight for your height, it gets harder to lose more weight. So maybe once I reach 120's then I might hit a plateau. So are they any ladies who are 5'3 and are 110 to 115 lbs?If so was it hard to go below 120?

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You need to consider your body frame. Some people may be able to go to that weight--if they are small framed and not muscular. You may look better weighing more if you are muscular, toned and not small boned. It is not about a number on the scale.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You need to just try. Don't let numbers stress you out though. I am shorter than you and only weigh a little less than your current weight, but I am achieving the body I want through weight lifting.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You need to consider your body frame. Some people may be able to go to that weight--if they are small framed and not muscular. You may look better weighing more if you are muscular, toned and not small boned. It is not about a number on the scale.

This. I'm 5' 2.75", and my lean mass alone is over that. You look medium-framed to me (I have a larger frame), but you don't look like you have more than maybe 10 pounds to lose in the pictures you have up. The only way to know for certain is to be weighed hydrostatically, or have a dexa scan. An accurate measure of your lean mass would let you decide a healthy level of fat to keep, and be the best indicator of your most ideal goal weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This. I'm 5' 2.75", and my lean mass alone is over that.

You're kidding yourself.

Sorry.

To the OP - yes, that target weight is comfortably inside the doable zone.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The reason it's harder OP is because the less you weigh, the slower weight loss is. It can be hard to be patient. 115 is good for your height, but you'll still either have to eat less or move more than someone who has a perfect weight of 145. And be patient so that your nutrition doesn't suffer.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

You're kidding yourself.

Sorry.

Nope, hydrostatic weighing is one of the two most accurate methods of ascertaining that information, and the margin for error is miniscule. 140 is the healthiest weight for me. The top of the healthy range comes from somewhere, doesn't it? :wink:
  • heyyimhayley
    Options
    At one point in my life I was 115 and I'm 5'2. That was when I was 16 though, and it was my lowest ever weight. I bounced up from it pretty quickly. You'd probably need to meticulously track during maintenance in order to stay that weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

You're kidding yourself.

Sorry.

Nope, hydrostatic weighing is one of the two most accurate methods of ascertaining that information, and the margin for error is miniscule.

Like I said, you're kidding yourself. The error bars on hydrostatic are 5% under the best of conditions, and go up significantly for obese individuals.

But, ultimately, we are all responsible for our own choices.

Good luck!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

You're kidding yourself.

Sorry.

Nope, hydrostatic weighing is one of the two most accurate methods of ascertaining that information, and the margin for error is miniscule.

Like I said, you're kidding yourself. The error bars on hydrostatic are 5% under the best of conditions, and go up significantly for obese individuals.

But, ultimately, we are all responsible for our own choices.

Good luck!

People don't lose these delusions unless and until they get down to a healthy weight and stay there for a while. I went though it myself. The lies we can convince ourselves of are amazing. It's all muscle . . .
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

This. I'm 5' 2.75", and my lean mass alone is over that. You look medium-framed to me (I have a larger frame), but you don't look like you have more than maybe 10 pounds to lose in the pictures you have up. The only way to know for certain is to be weighed hydrostatically, or have a dexa scan. An accurate measure of your lean mass would let you decide a healthy level of fat to keep, and be the best indicator of your most ideal goal weight.

Ok well, I want to lose 20 pounds to go to 120 .I will see how I look when I get there
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm just short of 5'2'', started at 190lb, got to 126.5lb in just over a year. I have maintained that for several months and now want to go after those last few pounds.

My goal is to reach 118-119, which is the middle of my healthy BMI range and then stay within 118-122. It's definitely gotten harder for my body and mind to let go of those last pounds. I don't see myself getting much lower than 118 anyway as I inherited a very muscular build.

If you have a slender frame 115 could be possible. But yes for many, those last 5-10 lbs are harder to lose.
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4". I was that weight once in my life and that was because I was depressed and barely ate for a few months. I have sort a wide build so I didn't look great at that weight. I look much better at about 125-130. Then I actually have curves.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5" and 120 and my sister is around 5'3" and 114. As you can see, I am medium build, a bit stocky, and muscular. My sister is about the same bone structure, but quite a bit leaner, not as curvy. She is also on a low-carb vegetarian diet which is how she stays so thin. I try to net 1200 a day (eating back exercise calories) but I eat a wide variety of foods. I would say that you could get to 114 and stay there if you're a smaller build; if you are more of a medium build you would have to be very aggressive with both your calorie deficit and exercise.
  • FisherGT
    FisherGT Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and 115 pounds or so. Not really hard at all.
  • VelcroButt
    VelcroButt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't know about difficult to reach but I don't think it's an unrealistic goal depending on your build. I am 5'3" and look perfectly healthy at 115.
  • anacepeda
    anacepeda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I did it 2 years ago. The initial pounds were 'easy' but at the 121 I kind of stalled and it took an huge effort to reach the 115 because I was very sedentary so I had to be very careful of what I ate... (so wrong i know)

I put myself on boring grilled meals everyday, ate too little, only grilled white meat with veggies etc.. and when I noticed I was 112... and guess what, my body was flobby, I was unhappy with the meals and the obvious happened, after a few months I gained all the weight back (its a bit off topic but i wanted to show that if we don't do it in a way we are happy and capable of maintain, it will not work)

I restarted this year, with 144 lbs, now I exercise and I eat different things, I eat things I love but in small portions and to be honest it seems a lot easier and slowly I'll reach my 115 (at 132 now)

Just try to find a way yuo are happy with the times goes by faster and after you're there, its not hard to maintain!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and 115 pounds or so. Not really hard at all.
    Your BMI is 17.5 which is well into 'underweight'. For health, you should weigh 122-164.

For most of us, achieving an unhealthily low body weight is difficult, assuming no eating disorders.

At 5'3", 115 lbs. is toward the low end of the 104-141 healthy BMI range so it might be hard to maintain but at least it's not underweight.