PMS and hunger

Why am I hungry ALL. THE. FRIGGEN. TIME. at that TOM????

How am I supposed to know when I'm truely hungry or just hormone hungry :huh:

How am I supposed to deal with it without putting on 130lb of weight from stuffing my face constantly?? (Okay I know that won't happen but you get the idea...)

Replies

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    You are not alone, I have put on 5lb this week due to TOM due next week happens every month.
    Since I stopped taking the pill my cravings have gone doolally. Sorry I haven't got an answer to your question because I haven't figured it out myself yet.
  • This is seriously not making : "eat when you're hungry" easy. :ohwell:
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    It's such a pain in the butt! Alongside the crazy water retention being a woman sure isn't any fun :sad:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    It's such a pain in the butt! Alongside the crazy water retention being a woman sure isn't any fun :sad:

This ^
  • What do you guys usually do when you are hungry all the time?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    When I'm hungry I eat. Try healthier snacks like fruits and veggies. Right now my go to is hummus and pitas or PB. I find that if I get more protein and less carbs I'm not as hungry.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Oh yes, I have this problem every month. I have a mild form of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, which makes me crazy for about 10 days before my period.

I haven't found anything that works every time, but I find I can lessen it if I increase my carb intake a bit and eat more in the way of fat (within my calorie limit, of course, or just a bit over). And exercise, if I can, no matter how terrible I feel.

From what I understand, your metabolism runs a bit faster over those 10 or so days before your period, so whatever you take in will help be burned off as well (esp if you exercise). So don't worry too much about it.

Oh and water. Drink plenty of water. That has helped too.
  • Oh yes, I have this problem every month. I have a mild form of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, which makes me crazy for about 10 days before my period.

I haven't found anything that works every time, but I find I can lessen it if I increase my carb intake a bit and eat more in the way of fat (within my calorie limit, of course, or just a bit over). And exercise, if I can, no matter how terrible I feel.

From what I understand, your metabolism runs a bit faster over those 10 or so days before your period, so whatever you take in will help be burned off as well (esp if you exercise). So don't worry too much about it.

I don't know about that disorder of yours, but 10 days before my period I tend to want (and do) to eat everything in sight! :laugh: it's driving me nuts
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Oh yes, I have this problem every month. I have a mild form of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, which makes me crazy for about 10 days before my period.

I have PMDD too- fun isn't it? However, I have a more severe form, where I am basically NOT premenstrual 10 days out of the month. From ovulation through menstruation, I am pre-menstrual so. . .um yeah.

I notice that I eat hundreds and hundreds of calories over during the last week before my period. I'm afraid to see that that's going to look like this month so I plan to do more self-care (yoga, exercise) and eat especially healthy during that time to see if it helps. I am also armed with endless amounts of popcorn and popcorn ideas to replace the chips/ crackers habit.

I was also told that the metabolism burns about 10% more calories during that time.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It took me a looooong time to realize it, but I'm much hungrier just before a period and have almost no appetite at the end or just after.

On the hungry days, I eat a lot more. On the less hungry days, I eat a lot less.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,618 Member
    I get the same problem. Generally, I just try to aim for maintenance for that week.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    It took me a looooong time to realize it, but I'm much hungrier just before a period and have almost no appetite at the end or just after.

On the hungry days, I eat a lot more. On the less hungry days, I eat a lot less.

I agree about the days following your period. I have decided that during those days, since it seems easier for me to eat lighter I am going to do so and not just eat up to my calorie limit just because I can so I will have some leeway during those last few days before my period.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/is-pms-sabotaging-your-diet?page=2

Here's an article for you. If the thing about serotonin is true, then working out should help curb your cravings. I'm on an antidepressant and I guess I don't find I get THAT much hungrier during my period, I might just want to lay around and doing nothing though, so the serotonin thing might have some basis. It suggests something about low blood sugar levels but I doubt it's that, never had a worse problem with hypoglycemia during my period ever.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It happens to me too. It's frustrating. And it needs to be carbs that help me, pretty much (but complex carbs). So I eat at maintenance and heavier carbs/fat.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    I'm due for a visit from TOM tomorrow. I want to eat 10,000 pounds of junk food. I want cookies and chocolate, and ice cream.
  • I find that working out before and during my period helps. It takes away the urge to eat if I go take a walk, and it gives me more calories to eat if I am still having cravings afterwards.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member

I agree about the days following your period. I have decided that during those days, since it seems easier for me to eat lighter I am going to do so and not just eat up to my calorie limit just because I can so I will have some leeway during those last few days before my period.
    I always knew I wanted more food (especially carbs) right before my period, but until I was paying attention to when I was hungry and when I ate, I never noticed that I need almost no food for a 2-3 days, too. I was pretty surprised. I even waited it out for a few months to see and damn if it didn't even out every month.

It is really nice to hear someone else has the same deal! :) I'm glad I found this out and followed my body on it. I don't feel guilty eating extra before because I know I'll be eating less later. :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,268 Member
    I am always more hungry during pms time. I just plan for it: I get in more of a workout, I eat more often, I stay away from empty calories like pasta or rice or breads but I up the carbs I get from vegetables and fruit. I go for higher protein and fiber intake and lots of vegies. I think preplanning is everything so you wont have the extra hungries. Drink a lot more water too. The reason you are more hungry is that your body is burning more calories around this time. That doesn't mean its an excuse to overeat, just be aware of that and keep yourself fueled up with nutritious and filling foods.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    SAME. Plus, my cramps basically put me in bed-rest mode because It hurts too much to move (no, exercise doesn't make my cramps feel better.)

I honestly just try my best to stick to three meals a day, plus two snacks. Logging ahead of time is my best friend. And I also try to distract myself because I KNOW that I'm not truly hungry, so I'll just sit around and watch Netflix or something. Not the best advice, but it can work for me lol.

And ultimately I realize that 1 out of 4 weeks per month isn't going to ruin my 3 out of 4 weeks of dedication.