How close do I need to be to my Polar HRM computer?

Hi everyone,

So I'm new to these forums and I couldn't find a question similar to mine and was hoping you guys could help me.

I recently purchased a Polar FT4 watch and I was wondering if I could still detect my heart rate and if I could still see my workout if I didn't wear the actual computer on my wrist? If so, how close do I have to remain to the computer for it to transmit information?

I play volleyball a lot and want to be able to keep track of my progress but as you know, you can't really wear a watch to play. If I left my watch at the side of the court in my backpack, will in still work?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    I was already wearing mine so I decided to see. I had my daughter hold the watch part, I walked away from her and had her tell me when it went to 00. I got about 8 feet away before it stopped working.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    I believe most heart rate monitors have a time lag, so the reading you'll get on the watch is your heart rate from a few seconds before.

According to this website, the watch needs to be within three feet of the chest strap, with no other monitors nearby to cause interference. http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-faqs.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    You pretty much have to wear it....

I wouldn't worry about it though, it's really not going to be accurate at all for calorie burn for playing volleyball. A HRM is only relatively accurate for a steady state aerobic event, and even then it's still an estimate.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    I've wrapped the watch band around my tank top strap before to keep my arms bare.

Just an idea.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Just clip it to something you're wearing.

..bah Spectral beat me to it. lol
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    If I am on the machine (like an elliptical) I have put it where you need to have your hands or the cup holder. I have also put it around my bra strap and they have all worked for me.
  • Thanks all for the suggestions!