For newcomers, how to find friends

Options
Don't be shy about finding friends. Go out and find them. It's totally OK to go to an individual's profile and request to be friends. Read these message boards for others looking for friends, as they're looking too. Finally, finding people with similar goals, challenges, ages, etc. to you might make for a nice peer group to compare yourself to and with (calling all 40+ and Bum Knee members).

This is my 2nd go around with MFP and I've been adding lots of new friends lately, and it's been fun and satisfying to go out and get them.

Replies

• xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yes, go get 'em tiger :P hehe Glad you are one of my buddies here! xoxo
  • 26114ruby
    Options
    Hi I`m new here ...does it really work logging all that you eat.....

never heard of this site before but seems to be handy enough to use.

Started on Friday ....here`s hoping ! :drinker:
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It works if you stick generally to your goals. It makes me think about what I'm eating, and motivates me to get out for a walk or a bike ride. Slow and steady.
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Also, you don't need to be too nutzo about logging EXACTLY what you ate, (ie figuring out if it was Kraft vs. Heinz ketchup, etc.), just try to be honest with yourself.
  • GoGoGirl1111
    GoGoGirl1111 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    New here, thanks for the great advice Garrett :)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    And when you go looking for friends, don't do what I naively did and think this is like Facebook where you just send a friend request. About 99% of people "require a message with requests" or they decline. I represent the 1% who accepts all friend requests with or without a note. We were all new once.
  • Deano762
    Deano762 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Fitness Pals,

My work place introduced a walking program and pedometers to keep track of our progress. I thought this would be a great time to begin to lose the extra weight I put on since quitting smoking 9 years ago. I found this here great website to aid me in reducing my daily calorie intake and logging in my daily walk times. Since starting this approximately two months ago I have gone from 210 lbs to 189lbs . I put 25-35 lbs on since I quit smoking nine years ago and am clearly on my way to returning to a healthy weight. I am 52 years old and stand between 5'6-5'7.
    Myfitnesspal.com has helped me to keep track of my calories everyday and tells me what I earned by exercising. I really doubt that I would have been this successful this quick had I not been keeping track of both calories and exercise.
    I would encourage anyone who is just beginning this process to be faithful to log in your calories and exercises on a daily basis. And get a pedometer. Walk on to success.