Desert Island Protein?

Options
If you were stranded on a Desert Island what would be your choice of Protein?

*Rules*
1) How its Cooked
2) What Cut is it?
3) What would your desert island seasoning be?

Replies

• jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    whatever I could catch :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    whatever I could catch :laugh:

^^^^ this

and seasoned with whatever I can gather
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Mine would have to be a land creature or non fish seafood. If I could actually catch something, I'd probably just cook it in a fire, providing I could make one lol
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Do we get to pick flora and fauna on this island? If so, mine is jam packed with cows. Oh, and there's a salt mine, pepper vines, plenty of garlic, onions, fruit, and a lovely stream full of trout.

ETA: And bamboo. I need that to build my house with a deck. And flint rocks. I'll need those too.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Do we get to pick flora and fauna on this island? If so, mine is jam packed with cows. Oh, and there's a salt mine, pepper vines, plenty of garlic, onions, fruit, and a lovely stream full of trout.

ETA: And bamboo. I need that to build my house with a deck. And flint rocks. I'll need those too.

And a shipwreck that I can steal electronics and a generator off of. as well as make a still so that i can make (ethanol) to power my generator and make other things.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

And a shipwreck that I can steal electronics and a generator off of. as well as make a still so that i can make (ethanol) to power my generator and make other things.

Well, we can't exactly sit on the porch and drink lemonade. Wait! We need sugarcane. And some fine oak for barrels.
  • Tal_Kyrte
    Tal_Kyrte Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Probably insects and grubs. From what I've read on hunter/gatherer societies, hunting only accounts for something like 10% of all food. It's grueling work, and takes a lot of effort for in comparison for the calories gained. Plus I'm 98% certain that without a gun, I'd probably never catch anything. And with no guarantee of fire, who wants to eat deer raw? I'll stick with the bugs.:P There are to many of them on this earth anyways.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

^^^^ this kind of thing

plus iron pyrite (you need that and flint to light a fire unless you want to do the whole stick friction thing)

I'd have sheep rather than cows though. I love lamb and mutton. And lots of wild fowl.

For fauna: all kinds of edible berries (can they be in season all year round?) pistachio and cashews, plus potatoes, brussel sprouts, spinach and onions. And basil, oregano and all the spices you need to make a good curry, especially chilli. And a crap ton of tomato plants. And edible fungus that is very easy to identify and impossible to confuse with toxic varieties. In fact, lets just not have any toxic fungus on the island to begin with.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Probably insects and grubs. From what I've read on hunter/gatherer societies, hunting only accounts for something like 10% of all food. It's grueling work, and takes a lot of effort for in comparison for the calories gained. Plus I'm 98% certain that without a gun, I'd probably never catch anything. And with no guarantee of fire, who wants to eat deer raw? I'll stick with the bugs.:P There are to many of them on this earth anyways.

Fires are easy to make if you have flint, iron pyrite and anything that makes good kindling (something that'll catch fire quickly and burn for long enough to catch the other wood etc on fire), it's not hard to find something in pretty much any ecosystem.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,958 Member
    Options
    Male and female wild boars and something to make BBQ sauce from of course.:happy:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

^^^^ this kind of thing

plus iron pyrite (you need that and flint to light a fire unless you want to do the whole stick friction thing)

I'd have sheep rather than cows though. I love lamb and mutton. And lots of wild fowl.

For fauna: all kinds of edible berries (can they be in season all year round?) pistachio and cashews, plus potatoes, brussel sprouts, spinach and onions. And basil, oregano and all the spices you need to make a good curry, especially chilli. And a crap ton of tomato plants. And edible fungus that is very easy to identify and impossible to confuse with toxic varieties. In fact, lets just not have any toxic fungus on the island to begin with.

Well, that gives us steaks, some truffles, a nice lamb curry, a porch to eat it on, and some nice barrel aged hooch.

Oooo, and it looks like a neighbor just moved in with BBQ.

I'm starting to really like this island.