Need advice on whether or not I should weigh in tomorrow..

Options
Hey all,

I've been having a really hard time with my weight lately and am seeking some advice. I'm 5'6" and was around 205 pounds at my highest back in early 2010. I lost 35 pounds over the course of two months and got down to 170 lb by June, and pretty much after then I ended up hovering around 160-170 and was totally happy with that weight.

In 2012 I started struggling with ED but my weight was still alright, but in late 2013 I ended up getting an injury that prevented me from working out for 3 months and when I weighed myself afterwards (around February 2014), I was up to 185. I haven't weighed myself since then.

I've been on and off with working out and eating right since then and feel noticeably bigger, unhealthy, like my clothes are extremely tight, etc. I know the scale can be an issue, but if I don't weigh myself for a longgg time, I have a tendency to just let things slide and before I know it, I'm up even more. Just for some context, I had issues with bulimia which are somewhat resolved, but I definitely still have a tendency to binge which is why fast weight gain is totally normal for me.

I feel like if I weigh myself tomorrow I could definitely be over 190, so I'm just wondering what you all think and any advice you might have on how to manage regaining weight.

Thank you all in advance!

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    well, knowledge is power in my opinion, but if you don't think you can mentally handle the facts, maybe wait, but until when?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's just a number.

if your clothes arent fitting why would seeing a number on a scale make your weight gain more real? it is what is . weigh or dont weigh but if you know you need to lose weight then starting doing what you know you need to do
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    No. I've dealt with ED's for way too many years, I understand the mindset from a personal perspective. Skip the weigh in tomorrow. You know it could be triggering.

It took me a long time to be okay to lose weight in a healthy manner. A LONG time to be okay with it. It won't work if you aren't okay with it. I went from underweight, to pregnant with bedrest, and gaining 60ish lbs from my natural and healthy weight (not counting the actual baby weight that I lost immediately). But I learned in that time to find a healthy way to cope with the mental side of my ED, which has led me to a healthy lifestyle with nutrition and exercise. When I have been in a position like yours, I wait it out. Wait until you feel like you can handle it, then proceed. Small steps.

Also, 35 lbs in 2 months is too much! That's over 4 lbs a week. We actually have the same stats, I am 5'6 and was about 200 lbs. I lost nearly 15 in 6 weeks of consistent work, and some consider that a high weekly rate of loss.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was in your position two weeks ago: knew I had gained but was afraid to face the scale. Did it anyway and found I was 10 pounds heavier than I thought I would be. Bummer.

Promptly joined MFP. After stumbling around here for awhile, I seem to have found my stride and now I'm into it. Down 3.4 as of yesterday.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting an injury that prevented me from working out for 3 months
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
    and when I weighed myself afterwards (around February 2014), I was up to 185. I haven't weighed myself since then ... and feel noticeably bigger, unhealthy, like my clothes are extremely tight, etc.
    ... I feel like if I weigh myself tomorrow I could definitely be over 190, so I'm just wondering what you all think and any advice you might have on how to manage regaining weight.
    Well, you already know you're above a healthy weight, so would the scale give you any helpful information?
    You'd know where you're starting, which will help you celebrate your hard work once you get to a healthy weight, but if it's going to make you unhappy or sick don't do it.

Or maybe stand backwards on the scale & have a friend write down your weight & seal it in an envelope & hold it for you, then do it again once a month to see your progress. S/he could tell you how much you've lost, even if you don't want to know the actual weight. And when you do get to a healthy weight, then s/he can let you know where you started so you can celebrate!
    Then you can weigh yourself every week and you won't be afraid of the scale because you know you're healthy, and can adjust your calories slightly if you start to gain or lose & didn't mean to.

Take measurements. I'd suggest every 2 weeks, which is long enough to see some change but soon enough to get some feedback on how your body is responding to your hard work, to keep you motivated.

At 5'6", going by BMI you should be between 115 - 150.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

To get to a healthy weight, eat the calories to support that weight.
    For 150 lb, eat 1500. Ignore "net" or exercise calories, just keep your total intake between 1200-1500 every day.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Also, 35 lbs in 2 months is too much! That's over 4 lbs a week.
    Yes, for someone who wasn't morbidly obese that's a very high, unhealthy rate of loss.
    Being close to your goal, aim for 0.5 - 1 lb per week.
    That would mean cutting 250 - 500 cal from what you're eating now, a workable small change.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If the scale freaks you out, don't use it. Just go by the fit of your clothes. :flowerforyou:
  • cookiecat91
    cookiecat91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the feedback, guys. These past few months have been really hard for me feeling the weight creep back up, and it's especially difficult when I have a history of ED but also don't want to continue to gain so much weight. I'm going to just go by the fit of my clothes and am trying to get a friend to help me weigh myself and record my weight! That's a great idea. Thanks guys!