It hurts really bad when I workout, how to build endurance?

Options
So I am slowly progressing into working to lose weight( i starting improving my diet first before i started working out). I want to start slow so I am only doing 10 minute somewhat higher than moderate. I weigh about 220 and i have a pretty big chest. Whenever i workout i get this bad pain when I first start off and it starts to decrease a little but will still hurt. could my weight, chest, and asthma be the cause of this?

Also, like i mentioned i am starting off with 10 minute workout and starting tomorrow i will be doing it 2x a day to get 20 minutes a day. How should i build my endurance so i can get through a full 20 min workout?

Replies

• Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Can you be more specific? What type of workout are you doing? What pain are you having and where?
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    From what you write I can't tell what sort of pain you're even experiencing. I'm guessing chest pain?

Your weight, chest, asthma, and out-of-shapiness would probably all have a role to play. Dial back the intensity below moderate, and focus on your endurance. But you may also be hypertensive, you may have a family history of heart issues . . . far too many unknowns.

Consider seeing a doctor.

Exercise should feel like work - - not pain.
    With love,
    Burt
  • ForeverBlackBeauty
    Options
    There is pain in my chest only
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Burt said, but could you describe the pain and the movements that cause it?
  • ForeverBlackBeauty
    Options
    and it's cardio
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. Now.
  • ForeverBlackBeauty
    Options
    I would say like jumping jacks, i don't usually get pain when riding my bike and jogging so i am assuming maybe jumping jacks could cause the pain?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You probably want to see a doctor prior to starting any workout program, if it's causing you pain.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Please take this matter very seriously.
    Cardiovascular diseases kill nearly 50,000 African-American women annually.
    Of African-American women ages 20 and older, 49 percent have heart diseases.
    Only 1 in 5 African-American women believes she is personally at risk.
    Only 52 percent of African-American women are aware of the signs and symptoms of a heart attack.
    Only 36 percent of African-American women know that heart disease is their greatest health risk.

https://www.goredforwomen.org/about-heart-disease/facts_about_heart_disease_in_women-sub-category/african-american-women/
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Pain IN your chest? Like gripping/crushing/burning/stabbing pain or difficulty breathing (or both)? Or chest pain as in breast pain? The former needs a doctor's attention ASAP before you do any more exercise. The latter is just a matter of finding a supportive workout bra. Enell is highly recommended if the ones in the store aren't enough for you - Champion and Moving Comfort also make awesome bras. Either way, you need the pain dealt with before you can start working on building endurance.
  • ForeverBlackBeauty
    Options
    It's hard to describe the pain. It's not like a pain that is so bad that i can't get through my workout, it's just the normal pain that most people with asthma get. I just find it weird that the pain is there for like 1-2 minutes...maybe i should just take the jumping jacks out my warm ups to see if that helps
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    It's hard to describe the pain. It's not like a pain that is so bad that i can't get through my workout, it's just the normal pain that most people with asthma get. I just find it weird that the pain is there for like 1-2 minutes...maybe i should just take the jumping jacks out my warm ups to see if that helps

or maybe you should see a doctor to get cleared for exercise first?
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Like many others have said I would talk to a doctor. Moreover, I personally would start with walking or pool walking/running and build intensity on that to start. Then try going to more vigorous cardio if all is well and approval by your doctor.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

I'd ditch the jumping jacks. That's a pretty intense plyometric to use as a warm up - especially for an asthmatic!!! Maybe you could revisit them later on down the road when you are lighter and your stamina is built up a bit. Even then, I would never do them or suggest them as a warm-up for an asthmatic.

I have asthma as well, and a long, slow warm-up is a requirement when doing cardio exercise. I hesitate to mention it, because I don't want to deter you from exercising, but my usual warm-up for intense cardio is a full 40-45 minutes (and that's with medication). Air temperature, humidity, pollution, etc... can alter it all as well. But when I say intense cardio - I mean warming up to go all out on the bike for racing. It takes me a good 10 - 20 minutes going rather easy just to do the initial warm-up at a low heart rate. Then 5 minutes of a sligher higher heart rate, then 5 mintues and an even higher level. Then back down for 5 minutes at an easy pace before finally working my way up to the top end of what I can do for a minute or two. Then I'm ready to ride and my lungs have warmed up slow enough to avoid any chest pain.

I assume you are on medication and have your rescue inhaler. Read as much as you can about asthma and exercising. A long, slow warm up is required. So you might have to alter your exercise routine, and adjust it. I also found that after losing a lot of weight my asthma has never been better. So there's that to look forward to for you...

14 best and worst exercises for asthmatics...

http://healthyliving.msn.com/diseases/asthma/14-best-and-worst-exercises-for-asthma

7 best exercises for asthmatics...

http://www.healthcentral.com/asthma/c/52325/107397/asthmatics/
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    So you're saying your lungs hurt? You're really not being very clear.
    Either way, visit a doctor first. Get a check up, then ask for recommendations on how to warm up and exercise. An asthmatic cannot jump into exercise as quick as a non-asthmatic. You need to start up slowly to warm your lungs and muscles up then interval training is a good idea.
    For example if you're running, you should walk for 1 minute, run for 30 seconds, and build up your time per workout.