Oh what a difference 3 lbs can make w/ pic

Options
McCloud33
McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
So I won't go into my whole story again. If you care to read check it out here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1303830-50-lbs-w-pics-last-38-in-4-1-2-months-on-mfp

The left pic is of me at my heaviest 235 lbs, the middle at 185 lbs around the middle of May 2014, and the right is me tonight at 182 lbs. I've been doing stronglifts for 9 weeks now while still on a calorie deficit. To those who say you can't build muscle at the same time as losing fat, please explain this :happy:
1c6da3e4-33bd-4a14-805b-2efc9e818f6d_zpsa7cbd6f1.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Gj broski keep it up
  • VenusSparks
    Options
    Fantastic job! Such great motivation for us trying to lose weight and build muscle. Keep it up :)
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Thanks! Can't say it's been the easiest thing, but I'm proud of how far I've come in the last 8 months. Can't wait to see my one year progress photos :happy:
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job - what an inspiration!
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Great job, you look great! :)
  • gillibrite
    Options
    You look amazing! Strong and healthy. Very well done. I'll go read your story now!
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Daaaaaaang! You look good. :drinker:
    Nice job!
  • Cindy632014
    Options
    I love the avatar pic, it took this old lady a while to see the camera at the back of your head... job well done, oh to feel stronger.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    I love the avatar pic, it took this old lady a while to see the camera at the back of your head... job well done, oh to feel stronger.

Thanks...lol I was actually at my sister-in-laws house and their bathroom had much better lighting than mine. I had been trying to get a good picture of my back for a couple weeks LOL
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Nice progress. :happy:
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Looks good! Congratulations!
    To those who say you can't build muscle at the same time as losing fat, please explain this :happy:

I'd be inclined to say that you didn't build muscle while losing weight since anabolism and catabolism cannot physically coexist simultaneously but that your training allowed you to maintain your muscle as you lost 3lbs of fat which resulted in the very noticeable difference in your body composition. i.e. your BF% dropped and you kept the same amount of muscle so your muscle is now more visible.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    To those who say you can't build muscle at the same time as losing fat, please explain this :happy:

I'd be inclined to say that you didn't build muscle while losing weight since anabolism and catabolism cannot physically coexist simultaneously but that your training allowed you to maintain your muscle as you lost 3lbs of fat which resulted in the very noticeable difference in your body composition. i.e. your BF% dropped and you kept the same amount of muscle so your muscle is now more visible.

I think OP looks like he's lost way more than 3lbs of fat.
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Beginners at strength training can lose fat & gain muscle. However, it won't last.
  • McCloud33
    Options

Thanks...that was kind of my point. I don't think that there is a way to just lower my body fat by only three pounds and get the visual results that I've seen. I get the whole anabolism/catabolism argument as I'm an engineer by trade, but whether I'm gaining muscle on my lifting days and losing fat on my aerobic exercise days, I think it's clear visually that they are both happening without having to do a bulk/cut cycle. In my opinion, the apparent difference in the width of my back alone proves that I've gained muscle.

I still have my "moobs" though and my side profile picture actually looks like they've gotten bigger :tongue: I know that it's got to just be the pec muscle growing underneath though. My BF% has dropped from around 17.5% to 16.5% from May to August.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Thanks...that was kind of my point. I don't think that there is a way to just lower my body fat by only three pounds and get the visual results that I've seen. I get the whole anabolism/catabolism argument as I'm an engineer by trade, but whether I'm gaining muscle on my lifting days and losing fat on my aerobic exercise days, I think it's clear visually that they are both happening without having to do a bulk/cut cycle. In my opinion, the apparent difference in the width of my back alone proves that I've gained muscle.

I still have my "moobs" though and my side profile picture actually looks like they've gotten bigger :tongue: I know that it's got to just be the pec muscle growing underneath though. My BF% has dropped from around 17.5% to 16.5% from May to August.

That sounds like a pretty significant percentage. Awesome job. :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You didnt build any muscle, unfortunately. What you did was store additional water and glycogen in your muscles which increases their volume a bit, giving it the appearance of muscle.

But you are looking great!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    You didnt build any muscle, unfortunately. What you did was store additional water and glycogen in your muscles which increases their volume a bit, giving it the appearance of muscle.

But you are looking great!

I guess I'll take the appearance of muscle over actual muscle any day then LOL Especially when I'm still getting stronger.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Losing fat makes a big difference on definition.

Lose 10 lbs of fat and it looks like you gained 10 lbs in muscle.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You look great. Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!