Not eating enough??

Options
Hello ladies and gents,

So I began this journey 5 days ago. I've already lost 3 lbs. Now here is my concern... I am eating 3 meals a day with 2 snacks in between. According to MFP I am not eating enough calories, but the foods I am eating (all healthy) keep me full and content. So now I'm worried about my metabolism. Please correct me if I don't understand this properly... eating more speeds up the metabolism, but if I'm not getting my full does of calories in, that can actually slow down my metabolism. I'm still working out 5 days a week, I'm still seeing results (up until today where I gained 1 lbs but also started my period so I'm not concerned).

So, what can I do here? The foods I am eating are keeping me full, but apparently it's not enough. I can't force myself to eat more, so what would you suggest? Should I be concerned or just keep going so long as I keep seeing results?

Thanks in advance for all responses!

Replies

• krissyrachel
    Options
    I want to hear what others have to say about this...I have the SAME question!!!
  • skytoads
    skytoads Posts: 79
    Options
    Have you calculated your TDEE? If you haven't, it can be done through a quick google search. Follow those calories instead of the recommendations set by MFP. I had more success when I got away from the MFP numbers personally.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Not much meaningful can be said without seeing your diary.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    everybody has a different metabalism.
    over a longer period you will work it out.
    maybe add a protein rich power type bar?

i have exercised daily for 7weeks. cant eat prior. 2 meals and 1 snack after i finish.
    its working for me, give yourself time to even out.
    g luck
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Since this in only day 5 - some of these things will resolve over time. Your body will not let you keep working out and progressing if it's not being fueled properly. At some point, you will become tired and have no energy. You can do anything for 5 days.

I encourage you to read the links below and develop a plan that will let you lose weight in a sustainable way. This plan can help you learn to meet your body's nutritional needs. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Depends.I will say "healthy" is in the context of an entire diet. Healthy means you're getting proper macro and micro nutrients, not necessarily an individual food. Like, say you're eating nothing but salads with only veggies and fruit and claim you're full and eating healthy. BUT you're not eating enough to retain lean mass and keep your body functioning right and potentially missing out on protein and vitamins from other sources because of it and not hungry purely because you've stuffed yourself on a ton of low calorie foods. Calorie dense foods aren't bad.

My diet right now is 2350 for my bulk in lifting. If I eat too much low calorie filling foods I end up with around 1900 calories and my goal is to bulk. I'd lose on that intake. So, your goal is an important factor too.

In regards to meal frequency, it is a myth that eating more keeps your metabolism going. Your metabolism is an ongoing thing. Unless your dead it always runs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

I only eat 3-4 meals a day. I like bigger meals because they keep me fuller much longer than smaller, frequent meals. I've lost 53 lbs this way. Pick a method that helps you maintain a moderate deficit and one that you can adhere too.

Learn moderation. If you're having difficulty meeting a calorie goal and you're already picking an aggressive one, add peanut butter, ice cream, avacado, nuts to your diet. Drink your calories if you have to.

3 lb loss isn't bad to start, you lose more at first due to water weight. Try to keep your loss around 1 lb a week and get good protein, lift heavy if you have the option too, it'll help retain lean mass and make you leaner at goal than racing to a number. When you get down to those last 10 or so lbs, the scale is not as important remember that and good luck!! Oh And

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you are not eating enough? Are you getting the MFP "warning" because you are going under 1200 calories? Or are you just below your daily goal?

If it's the first (under 1200 calories), gradually try to include full fat versions of cheese or mayo. Or an avocado or some peanut butter. That will help up your calories without adding a lot of bulk to your diet. (Without seeing your diary, that's the best I can come up with.)

Make sure you are getting adequate nutrition. It's only been 5 days. Be patient. Your body will adjust to what it needs.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Let's start at the basics and go from there. What is your height, current weight, goal weight, and planned loss per week? How active are you? How much are you consuming total and net?

That information coupled with an open diary gives the community enough data to provide informed advice.
  • shadeslanding
    shadeslanding Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 years old, so I expect my metabolism has slowed (I know it has). However, I exercise 7 days a week for about 40 minutes a session, and my goal is set low at 1700 calories a day (I'm 6' and currently 277 - have lost 45 pounds since May 2014). I limit my carbs to 25% or 107g a day and my sugar goal is to keep it below 60g/day. No pop, only water or unsweetened ice tea or coffee for drinks.

My goal is to hit 220 lbs. by early next year.

I try to eat 3 meals a day. A high protein breakfast and lunch, and a large salad and tuna, or lean meat like venison for supper. I do have two snacks a day. A granola bar around 3pm and an occasional glass of 2% milk and an sand dollar size oatmeal/raisin cookie after dinner. And at least 7 bottles of water or ice tea a day. A key ingredient in my breakfast omelets is CAYENNE PEPPER. I think it is essential in my losing so much weight so quickly (besides we grow our own Jalepenos, habernaros, ninja and ghost peppers... I like it hot!)

Exercise: 30 minutes on the elliptical, and about 10 minutes of upper body, situps and deep knee bends on the total gym at the highest height. Then 4 to 8 minutes sparring with my Slam Man, then weight lifts with curls and isolated curls before another 5 minutes on the elliptical.

Works for me.
  • thrashjazzassassin
    Options
    Hi Mpalamar,

Already lost 3 pounds in five days!? If your goal is to lose weight, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this early stage, given your progress so far, it seems. If you continuously eat at a very regularly kept calorie deficit, you may notice your weight loss will plateau at some point. That's when you know your body has adapted; it's getting a regularly enforced message that it's not quite getting what it needs from your nutrition, and begins to adjust by slowing down metabolism and holding onto its reserves. That's what you see when you come across rather fit people, pounding away on the treadmill with otherwise impressive effort, but at the same time never seem to get beyond their weight plateau.

There are numerous, and debatable, ways to overcome and/or mitigate this. The most uncontroversial, I'd say, is to make sure your consumption of protein is high enough, at the very least, to maintain (even build up) your lean body mass (I've forgotten how to calculate/guesstimate it). Another step is to fit in regular 're-feed' days, say once a week, generally on a training day when you've put in a good amount of work (I'd also add strength work over pure cardio, but this can be along the lines of high intensity body weight exercise a la freeletics, and/or with fairly heavy barbell/dumbbell work). A re-feed would emphasise your intake of carbs, and on these days, within reason, you needn't pay attention to your normal calorie allowance (that is, making sure you hit maintenance or above). It is this that kicks your metabolism back into gear, and you will subsequently start to see losses on the scale again. Keeping the protein up will mean that there's less chance that your body will break down muscle mass, as well as fat, when losing weight, so that in the long run it helps keep your metabolism up... keep track over the long term trends, thing will fluctuate on a day to day basis.
  • thrashjazzassassin
    Options
    Hi Bombshellphoenix,

Yes, I agree. Actually, I eat probably only twice a day most days, sometimes three. The whole, 'eat six smaller meals throughout the day' thing just never felt right to me. For instance, I always thought there's good deeply ingrained reasons why evening meals are the most social and culturally celebrated the world over, throughout history. Any eating plan that places very severe restrictions on that is going to be a cause of unnecessary complication and angst. Satiety; the foods and the portions that provide it are very important, whether your goal is to lose weight, maintain, or bulk up. One shouldn't feel as if they're constantly deprived, both physically and in terms of well being and social cohesion.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I was getting that warning, but then I realized the calorie limit that was set for me, wasn't before exercise it was after. So now I just try to have a net of at least 1200 after exercise. Sometimes, that means eating upward of 1400 before it.

good luck
  • august21143
    Options
    I went to a website about the TDEE thing...can you explain what this actually is? What does TDEE stand for? I've been seeing a lot of posts about it & even after checking one of the calculators out I'm still confused. Is it all about fasting (not eating) a couple days out of the week? I've only been here at MFP for a week so this is all rather new to me.

And is being below your required calorie intake a bad thing?
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    also following due to similar questions :)
  • thrashjazzassassin
    Options
    I went to a website about the TDEE thing...can you explain what this actually is? What does TDEE stand for? I've been seeing a lot of posts about it & even after checking one of the calculators out I'm still confused. Is it all about fasting (not eating) a couple days out of the week? I've only been here at MFP for a week so this is all rather new to me.

And is being below your required calorie intake a bad thing?

Hi August,

TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. It's just another way to calculate ones calorie requirements, and will give you a figure for the very minimum calories needed to keep your body ticking if you were, theoretically, only resting. I hadn't seen it till I hit these forums either.

Eating below ones calorie requirement (that is, below whats required when your activities are included), is what's needed if losing weight is your goal! So, it's not bad. But the body is not a machine, and physiologically doesn't conform to purely linear progressions; it's primed to survive. As I understand it, If you only ate at a calorie deficit forever more, at some point the body will respond defensively to preserve itself (it believes it's starving), by doggedly holding onto reserves (stubborn fat, for example), slowing down metabolism, and also breaking down muscle as well in order to survive. If one is very overweight or obese, it's probably not going to be something to worry about for quite a while. It's better to simply focus on eating good nutritious food, and developing a good habit for exercise. It may become something to pay more attention to the closer you get to your ideal, or, if along the way you find yourself starting to feel lethargic and lacking mental clarity. I think the links to other forum threads posted above, having just had a quick browse, are very concise, informative, and very helpful. Well worth a read.