Nutrisystem

Options
linjnew
linjnew Posts: 11 Member
Anyone have any success with Nutrisystem? Can it be tracked with MFP?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I knew a lady who did nutrisystem and lost a great deal of weight with it. BUT (you knew there had to be a but, didn't you?), it's much cheaper to buy and prepare your own food, and probably more sustainable long term. I wouldn't do any diet that I couldn't sustain long term. Unless I was planning on eating nutrisystem for the rest of my life, it would be a 'no-go' for me. During my weight loss, I wanted to make sure I was developing habits I could sustain for a lifetime, and I don't think buying my food already prepared for all my meals would work for me.

But yes, it can be (and IS by many) tracked via MFP. Do a search for nutrisystem in the food database, and you'll get lots of returns.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can. Just find entries that are for Nutrisystem foods or enter them yourself. But why would you? The deficit is built in to the meals/foods they send you. My dad did it. He was not successful on it because he didn't like the food. He said that most of it tasted not so good. I tried one of the ravioli dishes and I imagine that's what cardboard covered in tomato sauce would taste like. If you haven't signed up already, just save your money and prepare your own food.

Say you do go with the program and lose the weight, what then? Are you going to have them send you overpriced, not so tasty food to you for the rest of your life? If not, do you think you'll spontaneously form habits that will keep you from gaining the weight back? The system teaches you nothing, just lets people eat mindlessly. Then when the program is over, that mindlessness continues and the weight comes right back. It's a great business model since the return customers will be near 100%,

Learn to eat properly now and be successful in the future.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tried Nutrisystem about 5 years ago. I thought the food tasted worse than Lean Cuisines. It has A LOT of preservatives and gave me horrible migraines everyday. I only lasted one week and sold my remaining food. If you want to try it, go on eBay and buy it. There are usually tons of people selling their food. That should tell you something. I personally would not recommend it. If you use MFP and eat what you want in moderation, I think you will be more successful in the long run.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I tried Nutrisystem a few years ago. I didn't lose any weight on it. Some of the food, like the tuna salad was awesome, but a lot of the breakfast foods and the desserts tasted like butt. And you drop like $200 on their food and are suppose to supplement their food with fruits and veggies. That's a lot of money for one person just for a month of food. At least it was for me.
  • eclaireya
    eclaireya Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did Nutrisystem to "kick start" my diet a few years ago. I did it for 3 months and lost 20 lbs. So yes, it worked for me. That being said, it IS expensive, some of the food is OK but none of it's fantastic (stay away from the blueberry muffins, they gave me the most painful, horrendous gas- and did the same to a friend that didn't believe me and had to try one for herself- that I actually contacted Nutrisystem to let them know they should pull the muffins), and you CAN do it without this type of a system. But if you're looking for the structure or that "boost" to start your diet, it does work. I just wouldn't recommend it for a long-term solution.

Good luck!
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would seriously gag trying to swallow some of the meals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Nope, and if it tastes like "butt", I wouldn't want to!
    You're better off preparing your own, healthy good tasting food!
  • deesantosxo
    deesantosxo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've tried and hated it! The food was "tolerable" but after about 4 days I had THE WORST belly pains and the gas? Oh goodness... So not worth the money.
  • Andrewswife2011
    Andrewswife2011 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes. I tried it and I didn't lose any weight. The muffins for breakfast taste like sugar and the lunches are ok at best. You have to add your own fruit and veggies. It's easier just to make the meals yourself and cheaper too. If you do the auto delivery option you have to do it for 2 months or else they charge you for the "discount".
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    It was way too expensive.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it worked but as soon as I stopped it came right back on. Why? Because I didn't learn anything about caloric content. Just "Here, eat this"

The food was tolerable at best. Some of the lunches and dinners were decent but the breakfast and snacks were pretty bad.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1. Very expensive. I feel like even lean cuisine is probably cheaper.
    2. Kinda gross food. I found a bunch of Nutrisystem snacks at Ollie's once (red flag). They were lasagnas in little trays. It was like a frozen food except it was stored at room temp and doesn't require refrigeration? What kind of lasagna (with cheese) doesn't require refrigeration.. tasted okay, not great.
    3. You may not learn portion control. Many people have a hard time replicating the plan because you don't have to be mindful to follow it. Microwave the food, throw on a cup of veggies, boom, dinner. What happens when you have to make dinner yourself? Can you make an 800 (or whatever) calorie dinner on your own?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    My mom did it....I think 4 times.....She lost a lot of weight each time......Once she went back to eating "normal" food she put it all back on.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I tried some years ago, and agree with the above posters.....the food was disgusting.
    None of it needs to be refrigerated, what does that tell you?

Also, some of the portions were so small, it was a joke. (I recall pouring a cereal portion into a cup instead of a bowl, because at the least it covered the bottom of the cup).

Seriously, if you don't want to cook for yourself or need portion control coaching, the frozen WW and Lean Cuisine meals in the supermarket taste much better.

In the end though, you have to eat your own cooking, so why not invest instead in a scale and measuring cups?
    Eat the way you intend to the rest of your life.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add....

I've only binge-eaten once in my life, after a week on NutriSystem.

I broke down, went to McDonalds's and ordered meal, couldn't get satisfied, ordered another etc....

I've never done anything like that before or since.....
  • jenvic
    jenvic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Nutrisystem and have had success. I buy the Costco giftcards for 60 dollars worth 100. So I basically get a month and half of food for 179 dollars, this is breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. If you were to tally up a grocery bill, i'm pretty sure you would pay more than that. I did Nutrisystem MANY years ago and the food was disgusting. I honestly didn't want to try it again but I was informed by my sister that it had improved. It did improve. Plus you have the choices of buying what you like online. I started with the Walmart one week version to see if i could tolerate it. At the end of the day, it's not a Japanese Steak house but it depends on your motivation. I would say the food is decent and better than lean cuisine and weight watchers now. I honestly can't stand those either.

Nutrisystem and programs like Jenny Craig are meant to help you portion control. You are suppose to slowly incorporate your own meals once you get closer to your goal weight. I use MFP with Nutrisystem because I track my calories for my weight range and goals.

Goodluck on whatever you decide to do!
  • caperchick78
    caperchick78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I ordered it out of desperation once. It was awful....and very expensive because you end up then having to buy all of your veggies and fruits. I even ended up having a reaction to some of the foods (tingling and numbing of the lips) and I don't have any allergies. Obviously you need to do what is best, but also healthy for you. But if you really want my opinion, spend your money one non-processed foods from a grocery store! Tastes a lot better and is cheaper!
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    No have not and I will never try it
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Nutrisystem and have had success. I buy the Costco giftcards for 60 dollars worth 100. So I basically get a month and half of food for 179 dollars, this is breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. If you were to tally up a grocery bill, i'm pretty sure you would pay more than that. I did Nutrisystem MANY years ago and the food was disgusting. I honestly didn't want to try it again but I was informed by my sister that it had improved. It did improve. Plus you have the choices of buying what you like online. I started with the Walmart one week version to see if i could tolerate it. At the end of the day, it's not a Japanese Steak house but it depends on your motivation. I would say the food is decent and better than lean cuisine and weight watchers now. I honestly can't stand those either.

Nutrisystem and programs like Jenny Craig are meant to help you portion control. You are suppose to slowly incorporate your own meals once you get closer to your goal weight. I use MFP with Nutrisystem because I track my calories for my weight range and goals.

Goodluck on whatever you decide to do!

• cynthiar1025
    cynthiar1025 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago to help me lose weight with my first child. I did the 5 days on/2 days off. Like everyone else, the food was awful. I did it primarily to help me with portion control and get use to eating smaller portions but with those two days off, everything tasted so much better even it was generic spaghetti sauce and noodles. Even the smell of some of those item. I remember turkey tettrazzini being one of the worst.

It was also expensive because you buy the food but you still need to add in vegetables and fruit.

I did lose a great deal of weight that i was able to keep off. I also exercise a lot too. at the end of the day, it helped me with portion control but the food itself was not sustainable. I'd rather try one of the other home food delivery services that seemed to have exploded in the past few years than do nutrisystem.