Can I lose on 1500 calories ....

Options

Replies

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty well as in good foods mostly. I started losing on 1590 calories a day. My first day I had a piece of pie that ended up being 635 calories and full of cholesterol. Since my goals to lose and lower my cholesterol....the next time I only half a slice of a similar pie. Usually I try to find a healthier option. I stay full longer. Also I try to at least walk daily.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Have most people who are replying actually looked at OP's stat's??

OP you are a 64 year old female.
    Keep in mind that many of those posters replying saying 1500 is fine for me, are not 64 year old females.. Depending on your height and your activity level, 1500 may be too much for you to lose on - or it may be about right.

This seems a rather arbitary question to me - you need to either proivde your full statistics (ie height, acctivity level, starting weight, as well as age and gender, which we have) so people can give a more informed answer - or feed those statistics into a calculator to get the answer.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    yes you can. I lost over 60 lbs that way. However you can not lose weight if your calories are all sugar.

Challenge accepted. ...
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Keep in mind that many of those posters replying saying 1500 is fine for me, are not 64 year old females.. Depending on your height and your activity level, 1500 may be too much for you to lose on - or it may be about right.

This seems a rather arbitary question to me - you need to either proivde your full statistics (ie height, activity level, starting weight, as well as age and gender, which we have) so people can give a more informed answer - or feed those statistics into a calculator to get the answer.

I still hold you can lose on 1500cal if you're eating clean and a bit active. I think that most people who have weight to lose can lose on 1500. If you can't lose on 1500 calories, you probably don't have weight to lose. I've always thought 1200 was too extreme. It isn't about sticking to a magic number 1200, food is a lot more complicated. If you're avoiding the sugar and eating around 1500 and are even lightly active, you will more than likely lose the weight.

op, I think its much healthier way to lose weight. If you want results, worry less about the 1200 number and more about cutting down the sugar, eating clean and being consistent that's the message. good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes, but if its way below her TDEE couldnt it stall her? As in put her body in starvation and slow the loss? Im asking for my own benefit as well. Really need to know your TDEE I guess to answer for her better.

Starvation mode is a MYTH
  • thejourney2015
    Options
    You can yes but your body will not thank you for it in the long run, due to once you go back to normal eating pattern your body will store it thinking FANTASTIC FOOD GIMME GIMME GIMME and store it for as long as possible. Starvation mode is and is not a Myth it all depends on the level of activity you do If you starve yourself (take in too few calories) and lead a very hectic life style your body will shut down and if you continue to do so it may lead to a point when you won't be able to eat anything or drink anything as your body will reject it by causing cramps to such a degree you will vomit or curl over in agony if however you move very little and eat too few a calories your body will make it so that if you try to be more active your body may break. There is a balance in life and one should really learn what their body is telling them. so please be careful :smile:
  • paperpudding
    Options

This seems a rather arbitary question to me - you need to either proivde your full statistics (ie height, activity level, starting weight, as well as age and gender, which we have) so people can give a more informed answer - or feed those statistics into a calculator to get the answer.

I still hold you can lose on 1500cal if you're eating clean and a bit active. I think that most people who have weight to lose can lose on 1500. If you can't lose on 1500 calories, you probably don't have weight to lose. I've always thought 1200 was too extreme. It isn't about sticking to a magic number 1200, food is a lot more complicated. If you're avoiding the sugar and eating around 1500 and are even lightly active, you will more than likely lose the weight.

op, I think its much healthier way to lose weight. If you want results, worry less about the 1200 number and more about cutting down the sugar, eating clean and being consistent that's the message. good luck:flowerforyou:

OP didn't even mention 1200, not sure why you are bringing that magic number into this.
    I agree most people can lose on 1500 - however this question was about a specific individual, not most people, and, depending on that individual's age, gender, height, activity level, starting weight - 1500 may or may not be right for them .

We know Op is a 64 year old female - if she is also short and not very active,then 1500 may be too much. If she is taller and more active and has a larger starting weight, then 1500, or more, may be right.

My point standing - until she provides that info, we just don't know.

I lost on less than1500 following amount calculator gave me ( at the slowest rate of 0.5 lb per week, I might add) and I did have weight to lose. My BMI was 28 and I was 10 kg overweight.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    You can yes but your body will not thank you for it in the long run, due to once you go back to normal eating pattern your body will store it thinking FANTASTIC FOOD GIMME GIMME GIMME and store it for as long as possible. Starvation mode is and is not a Myth it all depends on the level of activity you do If you starve yourself (take in too few calories) and lead a very hectic life style your body will shut down and if you continue to do so it may lead to a point when you won't be able to eat anything or drink anything as your body will reject it by causing cramps to such a degree you will vomit or curl over in agony if however you move very little and eat too few a calories your body will make it so that if you try to be more active your body may break. There is a balance in life and one should really learn what their body is telling them. so please be careful :smile:

I take it you have not considered OP 's individual stats in this assessment either.

If 1500 or less is right rate for her age, gender, height, activity level, then none of that will happen at all - just like it didn't for me eating under 1500 for the entire 10 months it took me to reach my goal weight.
  • sharonpryke
    sharonpryke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sadly being older may mean needing to eat fewer calories. If 1500 is what is suggested by Fitness Pal after you've entered your details, then that is a good starting point and there is a high chance that it will work.

Personally, I'd start at 1500 and see how it goes for the first month. If you're not losing weight, then reduce the calories - but not by too much - until you start to lose weight. By the way, you may also find that you lose weight more slowly than younger people. When I dieted before my 50s I would always lose 2lbs a week like clockwork. Nowadays, I'm lucky if it's 1lb a week following the same diet. It just needs a little more patience.

Exercising, even gentle walking, can also help as it will help you to burn more calories.

Starvation mode may be a myth, but we all know that after some weeks of dieting most people stop losing weight. This is usually a temporary blip if they continue with their diet.
  • Shaquana2
    Options
    Well i'm 5'1 on my fitness pal that 1200 Calories is what im set at. But my nutritionist told me the other day that i should be eating 1500. So i defintely dont know what to do.
  • jsmommy1999
    jsmommy1999 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If that is truly the case then I would strongly suggest you go to a Dr. who will do a THROUGH blood panel - not just TSH but cortisol, free t3, reverse t3, free t4, and thyroid antibodies. What has your eating/stress/life been like previous to eating 1500 calories a day?
  • thejourney2015
    Options
    I take it you have not considered OP 's individual stats in this assessment either.

If 1500 or less is right rate for her age, gender, height, activity level, then none of that will happen at all - just like it didn't for me eating under 1500 for the entire 10 months it took me to reach my goal weight.

I will admit I did not take those into consideration. the point i was trying to make though is you HAVE TO LISTEN to what you'r body is telling you. by taking in too few a calories this is what can happen I have known someone go to 800 cals which is too extreme for weight loss they had one meal a day and a smoothie that was all they went back to eating normal and now weigh more than what they did and are suffering from weak bones and a bad metabolism
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Have no clue how you guys can like Twinkies, I tried one from an international food store and it was sickly lol.

Yes you can still lose, but it can effect how you feel mentally, emotionally, physically, your skin, hair, digestion, hormones, cholesterol, blood pressure, it can effect your health badly if you're lacking fiber, nutrients, vitamins etc.
    But look, if you're starting out and not sure you can stick to it, just try and get in under your calories as closely as possible. Over time, you will likely find it easier to eat more of a balanced diet and start hitting your macro's efficiently as well...I found that if I wanted to go to bed satisfied and not hungry, I had to start balancing things a little better so I was getting enough filling foods within my limits, not just meals of calorie dense unsatisfying stuff, so naturally it just happened to develop into a more balanced diet, still with regular treats.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well i'm 5'1 on my fitness pal that 1200 Calories is what im set at. But my nutritionist told me the other day that i should be eating 1500. So i defintely dont know what to do.

Then you don't understand how MFP got 1200.

Totally by your choices, and current size.

Your BMR is start of math, shorter and lighter, smaller BMR.

Then you selected non-exercise daily activity level, majority select Sedentary to be on the safe side, and many that is obviously not true. So did you pick honestly? Sedentary is 45 hr desk job/commute, with little to nothing done outside exercise, no kids, no walking dogs, no long shopping, ect.

Then you selected weight loss goal weekly, majority select 2 lbs weekly despite 1 lb being recommended, because they want to lose it fast. Reasonable or not, that determines how much deficit is taken off whatever you are estimated to burn in the day.

So your BMR is multiplied by an activity factor based on level you selected, say 1400 x 1.25 = 1750, and then the deficit is removed for eating goal on non-exercise days, 1750 - 1000, but MFP doesn't go below 1200 as bare bones safe minimum, so you get 1200.
    As does vast majority of women that pick sedentary and 2 lbs weekly loss.

And then you exercise and log it. So now you burned eating goal 1200 + 300 exercise say = 1500 eating goal for this day.

Your nutritionist has probably taken an estimate of what you would burn daily that INCLUDES exercise, on average. Then removed a deficit.
    So she might have estimated with your weekly exercise plans (did you tell her your plans?) that you would burn 2000 daily, and then she took off 500, and there's your 1500.
    Under her method with exercise already included, you'd eat 1500 every day.

With MFP, if you had selected 1 lb loss and gotten the same 500 deficit daily too, you'd actually be eating around that amount too, tad higher when you really work out, tad less when you don't.
  • DarkMoon30
    DarkMoon30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OP .... put your age, stats and activity level in here and it will tell you how many calories you should eat per day to lose weight healthily http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • paperpudding
    Options

I will admit I did not take those into consideration. the point i was trying to make though is you HAVE TO LISTEN to what you'r body is telling you. by taking in too few a calories this is what can happen I have known someone go to 800 cals which is too extreme for weight loss they had one meal a day and a smoothie that was all they went back to eating normal and now weigh more than what they did and are suffering from weak bones and a bad metabolism

But nobody is suggesting anyone should eat only 800 calories per day :indifferent:

How is this relevant to whether 1500 is right for OP?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

This seems a rather arbitary question to me - you need to either proivde your full statistics (ie height, acctivity level, starting weight, as well as age and gender, which we have) so people can give a more informed answer - or feed those statistics into a calculator to get the answer.

yup. I'm about her age. and.....?
  • paperpudding
    Options
    And we need additional information before deciding whether 1500 is appropriate calorie goal for OP.

You know,the questions she asked us.
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options

OP didn't even mention 1200, not sure why you are bringing that magic number into this.
    I agree most people can lose on 1500 - however this question was about a specific individual, not most people, and, depending on that individual's age, gender, height, activity level, starting weight - 1500 may or may not be right for them .

We know Op is a 64 year old female - if she is also short and not very active,then 1500 may be too much. If she is taller and more active and has a larger starting weight, then 1500, or more, may be right.

My point standing - until she provides that info, we just don't know.

I lost on less than1500 following amount calculator gave me ( at the slowest rate of 0.5 lb per week, I might add) and I did have weight to lose. My BMI was 28 and I was 10 kg overweight.

Well I'm not a doctor so I couldn't give tailored individual weightloss advice - thats why I've said *most people* I mentioned 1200 because I think thats the default setting on mfp. I mentioned 1500 because that was the ops question and having considered minimum bmr I think that if someone has weight to lose, they can on 1500 provided they are sensible. I mentioned sugar because I'm in Science and I think it's important to point out that sugar intake is a bigger weightloss factor than calories. A calorie is not a calorie, people need to understand that. I think worry less about the calorie counting and more about cutting down on sugar, being consistent, exercising and eating cleanly and do this over time. Most people who do that will lose weight if they have it to lose. And I say most people because there are various health conditions which might affect weightloss. For individual tailored plans, people should consult their healthcare providers not a website.

The idea that you can put a load of numbers into a calculator and expect to know how many calories to eat to lose weight is ludicrous. It isn't all about calories and the sooner people realise that the better. Moderating quantity is a good place to start but food Science is a lot more complicated than calories. The long and the short of it is worry less about the counting cals, more about the clean eating and try and give up the sugar, do a bit of exercise, cut down on alcohol, just be sensible and stick at it. We all grew up listening to 'everything in moderation' and now we have the Science to back that up.
  • mysecretself
    Options
    YES if it's below maintenance u will loose weight, I have lost 21 lbs eating at roughly that and occasionally more
    May take longer but yes you can