I've had a set back...

Options
Hey guys,

Well, I had a minor set back last night and it's really been bothering me. I can't stop beating myself up over it, even though I know today is a new day. I've been doing pretty well tracking my food. I don't usually complete a daily food diary on here, though I'm trying to get in the habit of doing it every day. Yesterday went well, for the most part. After dinner, I even had some delicious fruit salad that I made, and I had intended that to be the last thing I ate for the night. Then, around 10 pm, my husband and I were watching tv and I COULD NOT stop craving something salty. Like, I tried to just ignore it but it got worse. So I binged and ate about 4 or 5 handfuls of super salty Lay's potato chips. It satiated me at the time, but afterward I wished I hadn't eaten any of them. My husband, as always, was supportive and told me that it wasn't the end of the world and that I was still making progress and doing well. Still, I felt so stupid for over indulging like that! Especially since I weighed in this morning and the number has crept up some (though I'm sure I'm just retaining a lot of water from my salterific late night snack.)

I guess I'm a little strange because of the fact that I don't necessarily have a 'sweet' tooth, I have more of a 'salty' tooth, as weird as that sounds. I like sweets and all, but I think if it was necessary I could go the rest of my life without another piece of chocolate or cake and be completely fine. But salt on the other hand?

I know that this is going to be a hard thing for me to overcome. I guess what I need to figure out it why I was craving salt so badly in the first place and try to find healthier alternatives. Any suggestions would be great. :)

But worse than that, I really hate the way I've been feeling today so far...like I've already derailed all my progress so far because of one big binge. :( It sucks.

Replies

• suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! Workout a bit extra today to kill the calories. Everyone has mis-steps on this journey. Don't beat yourself up about it. Accept it, make up the difference today - and move on. If you keep beating yourself up about it, that's the path to permanent derailment.

Think positive, work through the tough spots. My roommate, as well, has a "salt tooth" instead of a sweet tooth. She doesn't struggle with her weight much, so she can eat whatever she wants I, on the other hand, do struggle. Its a daily battle to make better choices. I have learned this much though - when I have a craving - I allow myself that. If I don't, I will eat everything else and ingest way more calories than if I'd just allowed myself the craving.

You can do it, I know it!
  • LysLeslie
    Options
    I totally know what you mean! If someone put queso dip n' chips and, as you said, chocolate cake in front of me, I would pick the queso in a heart beat! :)
    First of all, dont beat yourself up for your late night snack. It has happened to nearly every single one of us! Trust me! As far as alternatives go, you could get some bakes lays! They also have baked cheetos and baked tositos. My personal fav is the baked tositios with garlic and lime salsa. It so yummy! :)
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to be a potato chip FIEND. I've managed to replace it with popcorn, though. I pop about an 1/8 of a cup of kernels on the stove with a tablespoon of olive oil, then add a bit of salt to it after. It gives me the salty, crunchy snack my body wants, but it's not nearly as bad for you (..I think lol).

As far as your little hiccup last night.. I know it's hard not to let it get to you, but if you focus on eating healthy today, by the end of the day you'll feel as though you're right back on track and you'll put that little oopsie behind you. You can do it! :)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! It happens. Just get back on track today! I'm soooo with you on the salty stuff, I am not tempted in the least by sweets, but put a bag of chips in front of me and watch out!!!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You didn't derail all your progress at ALL!

Here is what I do with potato chips. Every once in awhile I crave them insanely, and though I don't buy them, my mom does. Actually, she buys these really delicious homemade chips from one of the local Amish markets. So they're in the house. When I really want some, I take one nice big handful (one!), put them in a baggie, and put the rest of the chips away. I simply don't let myself go back for more chips. That way I have a serving or so, my craving is satisfied, and I don't go overboard.

Stay positive, drink a lot of water today, and remember that one setback is not the end or even close to it.
  • flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Do you like popcorn? If so it works for me...I love my salty foods too. I have heart disease in my family, my grandmother died at 62 and my mother at 63 years of age, both were not over weight. It's what you call "skinny fat". Anyways, not everyone has that situation to motivate you not to eat bacon or chips, but try to find a replacement, keep it around and don't deprive yourself. If you make a sandwich, count out 1 serving of chips or even a half and have it. Do that 1-2 times a week and as long as you stay within your caloric goal you will be fine. As for night time, get the replacers!!!
  • tcc3451
    Options
    crunchy dill pickles work great for that salty, crunchy taste and they're only 5 calories a baby dill!!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    YES! Finally there are others like me who have a 'salty' tooth! Me and salt have a long & bitter relationship. I love it but it treats me like crap.
    I agree with flyinmom about eating popcorn. That usually does the trick to ease the cravings.
  • kuhristeee
    kuhristeee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your advice and support, it really means a lot to me. :) I'm feeling better already! The popcorn and pickles suggestions are actually right up my alley, I love both! Though I don't think I'll ever be able to give up potato chips completely, I could totally just limit myself to one serving (or 1/2 a serving) with a meal or something, and then when/if cravings strike at night have an alternative. :)

Thank you!!
  • Finallyhappy03
    Finallyhappy03 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One suggestion I've had success with is to no buy the large bag of chips. I love potato chips too so what I've done is buy the small bags that are already pre-portioned, that way I don't have to worry about overindulging.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    No one deserves to feel bad for eating too many potato chips. It's in the past. Moving on.

When I'm craving something salty, I keep dill pickles in the fridge. They always curb my craving and I can only eat so many.

A few thoughts:

- Perhaps the sugar in the fruit salad led you to have a craving later in the evening? I'm VERY sugar/carb sensitive and this happens to me all. the. time.

- Perhaps you were genuinely hungry and can in the future eat another small meal packed with protein and veggies.

- Maybe there is something else at play entirely. You might be a food addict/binge eater. I used to suffer and the book Women Food and God by Geneen Roth changed my life. I read it in January 2010 and have binged once since. Now, my binges consisted of much more food than a few handfuls of potato chips (not that your binge isn't 'legitimate'. One woman's binge is another woman's snack) so I'm not sure if you suffer from over eating/food addiction/binge eating, but if you do, I can't recommend the book highly enough. If you're interested, here's a free excerpt from Oprah.com:

http://www.oprah.com/health/An-Excerpt-from-Geneen-Roths-Women-Food-And-God

Comfort and love yourself today (and every day). No negative self talk. There is so much that is wonderful, amazing and beautiful about you. Focus on your beauty and counter every negative thought.

Charmagne
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Well....maybe next time you could have some nuts with sea salt. They have salt but are still a better choice.
    I also make sure to have baked lays around.....for when you just have to have a chip. I did just but the Special K cracker/chip yesterday. I have not tried them yet, but everyone says they are great!

Good luck : )
  • Natolee72
    Natolee72 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hey :smile: It's ok :flowerforyou: my suggestion for you would be to not buy chips or anything that would be tooo tempting to stay away from :frown: I just recently had to revise my grocery list and delete things that I simply could not stay away from :indifferent: it is tooo tempting so why torture yourself ....out of sight....out of mind :happy: good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm told this is great for the crispy salty addicts like me! I, too, can live without the sweets but salty, crunchy snacks call y name daily!

Baked Crispy Kale – insanely addictive | Steamy Kitchen
    steamykitchen.com
    How to make baked crispy kale chips, step-by-step photographs from food columnist Jaden Hair plus two secrets to making the kale super-crisp.