East those calories your burn prior to an Early Morning Work

Options
If you workout out first thing in the morning and you know how many calories you typically burn, and you still have some pounds to shed, should you:
1) eat those calories prior to your workout (my case 350-400)
2) Eat only 100 calories and the rest after
3) Eat nothing prior
4) Doesn't really matter ??
I am worried that if I don't eat enough prior to my workout, I will be burning muscle for energy. However it's really hard to eat 400 calories 1st thing in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much! :happy:

Replies

• carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The calories should be spread throughout the day, you don't have to eat them right before or right after.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I mix it up and see how my body responds. I sometimes do HIIt on a empty stomach and sometimes I do it with 150 cals of peanut butter, whey protein and milk. The best thing you can do is keep your body guessing and make your workouts harder as you get in better shape. Weigh yourself once a week and measure yourself ywice a month and make sure to drink alot of water.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You probably should be having a protein drink post workout. If you like it with milk then that's roughly 250 calories right there. Have a snack before hand and you should be good to go.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Curious as well.........bump!!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Personally, I need something in my stomach before my workout or I feel faint and dizzy. But, if I eat more than 100-150 calories then I can feel the food in my stomach and I feel sluggish and gross.

I usually eat a banana, yogurt with granola, or multigrain toast with peanut butter prior to my workout. I then let it settle for 15-20 minutes while I brush my teeth, put my contacts in, and get dressed for my workout. Then, after the workout I eat my actual breakfast which is protein-heavy. Usually 2 eggs (one whole egg and one egg white), toast with pb, and fruit. (However, if I had toast with pb before the workout, I'll have yogurt or something instead.)

I don't know how this fits into any science of what/when to eat, but it's what works for my body.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I always follow my workout with protein and then listen to my body. Some days I eat my workout calories, sometimes I don't. I'm not a big fan of eating bunches before a workout, not only does it make my belly feel kind of ick, but I also feel like I want to burn what's already stored (fat!) not what I just ate.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    When I work out in the morning I usually go on an empty stomach...unless I plan on running for longer than 45 minutes. From experience I know I hit a wall at 45 minutes. Then I have a banana for a clemintine.

Then after I've showered and ready for work, I eat my normal breakfast between 500-700 calories. Dedending on how I feel.

That's just how I do it based on my own trial and error. Don't be afraid to do your own trial and error.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been a morning exerciser for years: wake up, start exercising before my brain figures out reasons why I should stay in my nice warm bed instead, and eat afterwards. I tend to eat late dinners due to my work schedule, so I figure I've still got enough fuel in my system when morning rolls around to get me through my hour or so workout. It has never been a problem for me.
  • xboomerx
    xboomerx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on what your goals are. If you are looking to lose fat and not really worried about retaining muscle mass then working out on an empty stomach has some benefits when the body is looking for something to use for fuel and you have nothing in your stomach. You do run the risk of the body feeding off muscle if it has no other fuel. I drink one scoop of protein and water pre-workout - I workout at 4:30 am - and another post workout. It comes out to about 260 calories and according to MFP I burn about 300 calories with each workout. I'm one of those people who doesn't like anything in my stomach before a workout but I found that when I'm lifting the extra fuel is really needed or I end up having to drop weight or sets to finish my routines and I usually eat some cottage cheese right before bed - the protein in cottage cheese (cassien) is VERY slow to digest - good night time fuel.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I mix it up and see how my body responds. I sometimes do HIIt on a empty stomach and sometimes I do it with 150 cals of peanut butter, whey protein and milk. The best thing you can do is keep your body guessing and make your workouts harder as you get in better shape. Weigh yourself once a week and measure yourself ywice a month and make sure to drink alot of water.

That's a great idea! By mixing it up we're confusing the body into losing weight! I typically work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I'm going to give this a try!
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    LIKE the cottage cheese before bed! I usually stop eating by 5 and wake up at 3am starving!! Thank you!!
  • TIFnFIT
    Options
    Yup! This is what I have been doing too. Thanks for posting!
  • TIFnFIT
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • TIFnFIT
    Options
    Good point! In fact, I changed my food diary from 'Breakfast Lunch Dinner' to 2 hour increments 5 times/day and divide my total calories allowed by 5. That way I know it's only 1 - 2 hours before I can "eat" again..... probably more mental than anything. My first time is 6am-8am and I've been eating a banana or toast prior to workouts, but most mornings I really don't "feel" like eating anything that early. Of course I drink 2 litters of water prior and during my workout then eat my breakfast after, but I think you're right to spread out the calories throughout the day. Thanks a lot for the advice!!