How many calories should I be burning?

Options
I am 46 years old (female), 6 feet tall and weigh in at 346 pounds (started at 354 pounds 2 weeks ago). Exercising is very new to me. I have been sitting on the couch eating for the past 46 years. A few weeks ago I decided to make a difference. I joined my local gym and I am following my calories daily. My question is, currently I can only exercise for about 30 minutes without feeling like i am going to die. Within that 30 minutes I am burning about 120 calories. I read other peoples posts and they are burning anywhere from 600-800 calories a day exercising!!! Am I failing myself and not pushing myself hard enough? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no way you're only burning 120 calories. Where are you getting that number from?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating this?
    you may very well be burning much more then that. But with that said, there's many people on mfp that overestimate their calories burnt.( for example, I've seen people log 800 calories burnt for pushing a shopping cart for an hour. lol!) But I guess it also depends on the persons height, weight, and so on. But if I had to guess, I'd say that your probably burning more then 120 calories.
    Btw , congratulations on your lifestyle change! You should be very proud of yourself! Soon, you will be able to last much longer at the gym. Just Keep at it! :-)
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm afraid i have no idea about the calories, but i would say you are using much more than that. But the thing is, you are losing weight doing exercise you can manage, so whatever you are doing, its working :)
    You are about the same age and height as me, and i just wanted to let you know it does get easier! I started running at the end of last year, and i have to go fairly slowly progress wise due to a health condition, but when i started i struggled to run between lamp posts and yesterday i completed my third non stop 20 min run. I was also doing an 8 week programme in a gym and the first week i struggled with 15 min on the elliptical trainer on level 1, and by week 8 i was doing 20 min on level 4, and if i can improve that much, anyone can!
    So hang in there, and it will get easier :) good luck :)
  • slcrane90
    slcrane90 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes and going on the Elliptical for 12 minutes. The machines calculate the calories and that is what it is reading, about 120 calories for both.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I think it's way more than that, the number you got seems more accurate for someone who's like 135-150.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Simply walking at a 2.0 mph pace for a half hour at your current weight will burn about 210 calories. If you walk any faster than that, the calories burned go up.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Walking 30 minutes at 3mph for 346 pound person would burn about 260 calories. If you are doing a more intense workout than that, you are burning more. I would do a few minutes on the treadmill, then see what MFP credits you with compared to how you are calculating it now. If you have a firm speed, the MFP calculator is pretty good for walking.

Congratulation on your life style change. How I got started losing was to walk anytime I had a few minutes to spare. It was slow and short to start, but soon it got easier and I was able increase the pace and duration of my walks. The one thing I would do differently was to start some light weight lifting sooner. When you lose a lot of weight, you also lose quite a bit of muscle.

Good luck,

Larro
  • taytothebeach
    taytothebeach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and fitness always come in incremental changes. For example, I can do things today that I couldn't do 30 days ago. When I started running I could barely run 1 mile without walking part of it. Now I am up to 4 miles without walking. In one week I hope to be at 5 miles, with my ultimate goal of making 40 miles per week. I am in the low end of the Obese BMI category.

So, you just have to get to know yourself and what you can do. Once a week, among the usual stuff, push yourself to see what you can do. Always keep your goals in mind. Sometimes, my goal is to just get my running shoes on. Sometimes it has to be that simple in order for me to do it. Sometimes it doesn't have to be that simple and I can crush a goal I've had for weeks. It's just getting to know yourself. You don't even have to tell anyone what your goals are. Just keep them in mind. You will be amazed at what you can do!

Most importantly, try to have fun with it. A sense of humor can go a long way!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Simply walking at a 2.0 mph pace for a half hour at your current weight will burn about 210 calories. If you walk any faster than that, the calories burned go up.

Where did you get that number from? At 346 lbs the OP would burn closer to 104 cal walking one mile (.30 x weight in lbs x distance in miles - source runners world)

To the OP, don't fixate on calorie burn yet. If you've been sedentary for a long time it's going to take you a while to build up your fitness. Gradually increase the time spent walking on the treadmill & elliptical; once you can comfortably walk for an hour or so (even at a slowish pace) start increasing the pace a little at a time (you should not find yourself getting dizzy or gasping for breath) - it takes time and it takes consistency. Good luck!
  • slcrane90
    slcrane90 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    From what I am gathering from the comments (and please forgive me if i sound stupid). A person that weighs 150 pounds compared to a person that weighs 350 pounds will burn a different amount of calories during the same workout?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

210 calories a mile? That is exorbitant.

Walking is not a huge net calorie burner ... somewhere in the range of 3/10ths of a calorie per pound per mile for most people. While it isn't a huge net calorie burn, it is a good start point for exercise and does provide cardiovascular benefits beyond the calorie burn.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Many folks are prepared to 'think' that they have burnt the higher number - I guess it's human nature - but actually, we don't burn as much as we like to think. There are loads of sites with calculators and most give different 'Estimates'.....

So, probably the best advice is to take the Lowest number that you can find.... After all, it's not a competition with anyone else, it's about you wanting to lose weight by creating an energy deficit between consumption and expenditure.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You don't need to burn any calories through deliberate exercise...exercise is good for you, but you should have other reasons for exercising beyond just burning calories...burning calories with exercise is just a nice bi-product of getting your fitness on.

You burn calories 24/7...the vast majority of your calorie requirements come from you just existing and being alive. While many people do regularly burn 800 - 1000 calories per day or whatever (and I'm one of them)...many do not...many people are simply overestimating their burns. I will burn around 1000 calories riding my bike for about 30 miles....I do this pretty regularly and I also eat to support that activity....many people don't know how to do that and do realize that if you train like an athlete you have to eat like one too.
    From what I am gathering from the comments (and please forgive me if i sound stupid). A person that weighs 150 pounds compared to a person that weighs 350 pounds will burn a different amount of calories during the same workout?

Yes...someone heavier has more mass to move so they will burn more calories to go the same distance or do the same thing as someone lighter.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options

A big difference. It would be like a 150 pound person was carrying 200 pounds. When you do the weekly weight check-ins at MFP, it will automatically change your calorie calculator for you. But like others have said, the main thing is to keep moving. As you lose more weight you will be able to do more cardio, which will help you lose more weight, etc... etc...

It hasn't been said yet, but make sure you drink plenty of water. 8 glasses a day will help with your weight loss, and it will make you feel better too.
  • michaellarcom1
    michaellarcom1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If i was you i find out what your BMR is http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm ,BMI is http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm , and body fat percent is so you can start to eat for your lean body weight not your all around body weight. another word feed the body weight not the fat weight. 2 thing your burn 3 times the calories in 30 mins then someone 150 pounds cause your carrying 2.5 times extra weight. Start out small work your way up in calorie burn. do 30 min everyday for a week and try to go as strong as you can but don't try killing yourself and add on a extra 5 mins per day next week and so on til you start to get stronger. Don't try doing 500-1000 calorie burn when you are starting up cause your lose the battle and just being eating more cause your feel like your starving. Start to eat real fresh foods too! There are very few things in cans, boxes, bags that are good but the salt sugar's in them are high, Eat good carb's and limit or just cut out the bad carb's. Just cut the junk!! Protein and good fats are the fat burners here so do 1-1.5 gram per lean body pound per day and .5 gram per lean body pound good fats. the rest in good carb's. I myself was 260 pound feb 1st 2014 and today i'm at 179. 81 pounds lost in 7.07 months isn't to bad or to fast at 2.80-3 pounds a week. Also switch up your exercises and do the same with your diet too cause your body can get use to things and then it will stop working. I start out 50% protein 25% carb's 25% good fats. Don't depend on salads thur the day cause there low carb low calories and means you have to eat more to get your calories and carbs from them. Fruits are hi carbs, good sugar's and good all around leave the salad's for dinner. It's all trial and error to find what works for you cause no 2 bodies ever work the same just some start points and good luck.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I am 46 years old (female), 6 feet tall and weigh in at 346 pounds (started at 354 pounds 2 weeks ago). Exercising is very new to me. I have been sitting on the couch eating for the past 46 years. A few weeks ago I decided to make a difference. I joined my local gym and I am following my calories daily. My question is, currently I can only exercise for about 30 minutes without feeling like i am going to die. Within that 30 minutes I am burning about 120 calories. I read other peoples posts and they are burning anywhere from 600-800 calories a day exercising!!! Am I failing myself and not pushing myself hard enough? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.
    When you start on each machine do you adjust it to your age and weight? If not, it will just give you the calorie burn for an "average" person. Some people use their own heart rate monitors to estimate calories burned, it seems a slightly more accurate way to do it, but I don't have one myself.
    30 minutes is a great amount of time to do cardio, well done.
  • CosmicBella
    Options

Where did you get that number from? At 346 lbs the OP would burn closer to 104 cal walking one mile (.30 x weight in lbs x distance in miles - source runners world)

To the OP, don't fixate on calorie burn yet. If you've been sedentary for a long time it's going to take you a while to build up your fitness. Gradually increase the time spent walking on the treadmill & elliptical; once you can comfortably walk for an hour or so (even at a slowish pace) start increasing the pace a little at a time (you should not find yourself getting dizzy or gasping for breath) - it takes time and it takes consistency. Good luck!

Whoops, you're absolutely right. I think in my attempt to multitask, I entered a speed of 3 mph, not 2 into the calculator. Sorry for my miscalculations OP.

I agree with everyone else that you should just keep at it. You'll get stronger, faster and better in due time.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Whoops, you're absolutely right. I think in my attempt to multitask, I entered a speed of 3 mph, not 2 into the calculator. Sorry for my miscalculations OP.

I agree with everyone else that you should just keep at it. You'll get stronger, faster and better in due time.

3mph doesn't come close either.
  • CosmicBella
    Options
    I used this calculator...

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=315

3mph walking for 30 minutes at 346 pounds is 217 according to them.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I used this calculator...

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=315

3mph walking for 30 minutes at 346 pounds is 217 according to them.

And it is still wrong. The formula is provided in numerous posts here.

I would like to thank you for inadvertently illustrating one reason why so many people have a hard time losing ... trusting overly inflated calculators that report gross, not net from exercise, calories burned.