Healthy Carb Count

Options
Hey all, doctor told me to try and stay away from carbs. Anyone know a good carb goal to stay at or below in order to be beneficial, but also not starving myself lol. Thanks!

Replies

• murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Have you heard of Marks Daily Apple or Primal Blue Print? Its all about eating good carbs from fruit and veggies. Here's a chart of the different levels. I try and maintain 125 grams a day or less, my weight in protein and the rest good fats.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/
  • nctc521
    Options
    Was he more specific than "stay away from carbs"... There are a lot of healthy and neccessary carbs in whole grains and vegetables.
  • hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    A moderately low carb diet would be less than 45% of daily calories. But a more rigorous low carb diet would be less than 30%. You can custom set this number under goals in MFP. Also, the type of carbs are as important as the amount...try for cutting out all/most simple carbs and sugary foods (ie. sweets, white bread, white rice, white pasta, juice, milk, etc).
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Hi,
    Have you heard of Marks Daily Apple or Primal Blue Print? Its all about eating good carbs from fruit and veggies. Here's a chart of the different levels. I try and maintain 125 grams a day or less, my weight in protein and the rest good fats.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

I follow the Mark's Daily Apple chart too. Though, because I'm smaller I try to get between 50 - 75 carbs a day. I eat at least 5-6 servings of fruits and vegetables a day but don't eat any grains, added sugar, or processed food. I found that even getting 100 carbs is too much for me and results in eating overly starchy foods like potatoes (which I tend to only eat occasionally). At 50-75 I am nowhere close to starving and get plenty of nutrients. But I think, like Hope says, you'll have to figure out a ratio that works for you and maybe talk to your doctor. Cutting out simple carbs is certainly the first step!

@murf19 Mind if I friend you?
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I follow the Primal Blueprint and MarksDaily Apple too. I eat about 60g of carb a day and roughly 100g of protein. It's working for me :) All you other priamls who have posted on here, feel free to friend me. I welcome fellow Groks, LOL. Sometimes the conventional wisdom folks just don't get it :)
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    When my doctor sent me to a dietician 4+ years ago, she told me to try to stay at or under "15 carbs" a day, and that when trying to figure out my carbs to when reading labels that 15 grams = 1 carb. That translates to 225 grams per day. My blood sugars were elevated, and this advice not only allowed me to not start on insulin, it keeps me from being on cholesterol medicine and led to my weight loss.

Right now, I am trying to -re-lose 10 pounds......not really getting anywhere right now, unfortunately.