Recipes/ideas for chicken thighs

Options
I am stumped as to what to do with them since I am not a dark poultry meat girl. Ideas folks?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing for chicken thighs is SO easy. Put them in a crock pot with a can of tomatoes (whatever kind you like -- I like diced, with Italian seasonings, but you could also use crushed or even stewed). Use two cans if you need. Put in a tablespoon or two of dry minced garlic, a sprinkling of dried chopped onion (or about 1/4 of a fresh onion, chopped), a healthy sprinkling of ginger, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Add a little water if you need to, but I usually don't. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours, until the chicken is all ridiculously tender. When I make this, I like to scoop the tomatoes out after everything's cooked and mix them with rice or small pasta like macaroni or rotelle. Mmmmmm. :)

If you don't have a crock pot, you can make this in a pot on the stove, but I dont' know how long you'd need to cook it. Probably an hour-ish.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    mmmm sounds yum
  • idivadi
    idivadi Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs work well in recipes for Salsa Chicken.
  • Vivx
    Vivx Posts: 121
    Options
    this is for a ful chicken but can be changed
    1 full chicken 2 cans of peeled plum tomatoes bay leaves garlic italian seasoning
    put chicken in tray with 2 cans of tomatoes and some seasoning a lillte carlig 1/2 cupof water if u wish cut up 1 or 2 onions i love onions so 2 for me :P
    anywaysput them all in the tray put some olive oil ontip of chicken putin oven for 2 hrs at gas mark 4/5 and done its lovely ! x
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    That recipe sounds fabulous! The only suggestion I have is make sure you remove the skin before preparing (a lot of the chicken fat is in the skin).
  • Vivx
    Vivx Posts: 121
    Options
    *seaonsing and garlic i was supposed to say !
  • msjennm
    Options
    SESAME CHICKEN
    4 chicken breasts (you may use chicken thighs or cubed steak as varieties)
    4 tsp. soy sauce
    4 tbsp. sesame seed
    4 tbsp. flour
    Skin and trim off all fat on chicken breasts. Dip in soy sauce. Combine sesame seeds and flour and roll chicken in this mixture. Dot each piece of chicken with low calorie butter. Place in shallow baking pan which has been sprayed with Pam. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. This is a low calorie, delicious dish
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    Chicken thighs are also very good for chicken noodles! That's the only thing I use them for cause I usually eat breasts. Just boil the chicken until cooked. Take it out and shred or cube it. (Take off the skin and bones if it's not boneless/skinless) Skim the fat off the water you boiled the chicken in (now broth) and cook your noodles in it. Then add chicken back in and add some low sodium chicken broth if you need some extra. :) Yummy!
  • msjennm
    Options
    OR for the slow cooker...

Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew

Ingredients

6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed of fat
    2 pound(s) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into spears
    1/2 pound(s) white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
    6 large shallots, peeled and halved
    4 clove(s) garlic, peeled
    1 cup(s) dry white wine
    2 teaspoon(s) chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
    1 teaspoon(s) salt
    1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoon(s) white-wine vinegar

Directions

Place chicken, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, rosemary, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the potatoes are tender, about 5 hours. Before serving, remove bones from the chicken, if desired, and stir in vinegar.

Nutritional Information
    (per serving)

Calories 285
    Total Fat 6g
    Saturated Fat 2g
    Cholesterol 50mg
    Sodium 519mg
    Total Carbohydrate 35g
    Dietary Fiber --
    Sugars --
    Protein 17g
    Calcium 0
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Thighs are my favorite by far!

Most nights I cook them in a pan. I season them with salt and pepper (sometimes I add something else like rosemary or paprika) and fry them in about a tablesppon of Olive oil. I flip them once and add in veggies (can be anything broccli, peas, onions, peppers, celery and carrots...) Let that cook for a couple of minutes.

When it is ready... very hot and getting smoky I deglase the pan with white wine. I simmer that down until it forms a thick pan sauce. Remove the chicken and mix in the brown rice or whole grain pasta that just finished cooking. Stir it through return the meat to the pan and kill the heat.
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    Do they have the skin on?
    If so:
    preheat the oven at 275
    I put the thighs in a baking pan and cover them with tin foil
    slow cook them for 90 mins
    uncover and drain the fat
    cover the thighs in bbq sauce and turn the oven up to 375 and cook another 30 mins to crisp up.

the meat falls right off the bone and my family goes crazy for them!
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker or dutch oven? This is good, although a bit sweet. Next time, I would use white wine instead of pear nectar.

Pear/Fennel Chicken Thighs

ingredients
    • 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
    • 2 6- to 7-ounce jars (drained weight) sliced mushrooms, drained
    • 1/2 cup coarsely snipped dried pears
    • 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, finely ground
    • 2-1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    • 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    • 1 cup pear nectar or apple juice
    • Hot cooked couscous or rice
    • Fennel tops (optional)
    directions
    1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine sliced fennel, mushrooms, and dried pears. Sprinkle with tapioca. Add chicken thighs; sprinkle with salt, thyme, and pepper. Pour pear nectar over mixture in cooker.
    2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
    3. Serve chicken mixture with hot cooked couscous. If desired, garnish with fennel tops. Makes 6 servings.
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    in the summer I do them on the grill... but I normally use the whole leg quarters

I rub them (paprika, chilli powder, cumin, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder) and cook them on direct heat skin side up. I let them cook that way for a while, since there is not much meat on the bottom. Give them a quick flip, careful not to burn the skin. After not much more then a minute down I will flip them back.. that is when I would add the sauce and let it cook on for another couple minutes.

One last quick flip to sear the thickened BBQ sauce then I put it on the plate and let it cool for atleast 5 minutes.
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Oh you all are fabulous! Tonight I will try the sesame chicken and keep all the others in reserve. Thanks for taking the time to share.
  • thepans
    Options
    quarter them, brown them along with sausages - cut the sausage into 1/3 pieces (4 tighs and 4 sausage makes a lot). Sautee garlic, red and green pepper strips in little bit of olive oil. Add chicken and sausage back into frying pan. Add i can no salt added diced seasoned tomatoes, 1/2 cup red wine, 1/2 cup no salt chick broth if needed. Cover and simmer - serve over rice or pasta (just a little bit of pasta)
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    chicken parm:
    6 thighs (boneless skinless) I use the ones from Aldi
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1 cup parm cheese
    spaghetti sauce
    fat free mozarella
    2 eggs

mix bread crumbs and parm together...dip chicken in beaten egg and then dip in breadcrumb mixture...place in baking dish...bake for 30 min....turning once when there is 10 min left......also pour a little sauce and sprinkle with a tiny bit of the fat free mozarella and let them finish baking. we had this for dinner the other nite with some fresh steamed broccoli....whole meal ended up being only 320 calories......it was soooo good.
  • deandp371
    Options
    I like to grill 'em! Just cover with garlic and pepper and whatever else you like and throw them on with the skin. The fat will cook off I think. I actually like to precook in the microwave for a bit and grill on indirect heat for 20 min or so.

But this only works when the grill is not covered by 2 feet of snow!
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    chicken parm:
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1 cup parm cheese
    spaghetti sauce
    fat free mozarella
    2 eggs

mix bread crumbs and parm together...dip chicken in beaten egg and then dip in breadcrumb mixture...place in baking dish...bake for 30 min....turning once when there is 10 min left......also pour a little sauce and sprinkle with a tiny bit of the fat free mozarella and let them finish baking. we had this for dinner the other nite with some fresh steamed broccoli....whole meal ended up being only 320 calories......it was soooo good.

Sounds good, but I would flour them before dipping it the egg... the breading will stick much better
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    chicken parm:
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1 cup parm cheese
    spaghetti sauce
    fat free mozarella
    2 eggs

Awesome idea... I made it without the cheese and pan cooked it but it was delicious. The whole family devoured it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Green Chicken:

Sear the outside of the chicken thighs in a pan with a bit of olive oil. Lightly browning is all you're looking for, not actually cooking them through in this step.
    Bake at 350 for an hour or so, in the following sauce:
    1 can of cheddar cheese soup, mixed with
    1 can of broccoli cheese soup

you can add pieces of broccoli to float in the sauce as well, just pre-steam it a little bit before you add it to the sauce.

serve over rice. MMMMMMMMMMMMM