Which Low Salt/Sodium Stock Do You Use? (U.K)

Options
Hi MFP'ers,

I'm fairly new to the site, (the Fitbit Flex has been a revelation for me) and have noticed when entering my food diary on a daily basis that the amount of salt/sodium I am getting from my usual Knorr chicken stock cubes is really high!

I use stock cubes/powders in a number of my evening meals throughout the week...can anyone suggest a full flavoured, tasty, affordable stock that's reduced in salt/sodium??

I live in the UK so perhaps suggestions I can get from Tesco, Sainsburys or Co-op would be ideal as these are my closest supermarkets.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions! :smile:

E&E

Replies

• EvanandEarth
    Options
    Hey guys,

Any suggestions on this?

I tried Oxo Chicken cube reduced sodium and I felt like it was no where near as tasty as the Knorr ones - I wanted to use 2 cubes which would defeat the purpose!

What do you use?

Or do I just put up with the massive sodium in red on my daily totals :/

Thanks,
    E&E
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You can get another low sodium version in most supermarkets called 'Kallo'. However, if you didn't like the low version you already tried then it sounds like it's actually the salt flavour that you're missing.

Why not try adding herbs/spices instead? Or make up your own vegetable or chicken/meat stock?
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    I use the Boots Baby organic chicken stock cubes. My chef son recommended them. Tasty, but you will have to add as much salt as you like to them. I agree that the Knorr ones are far too salty - I usually only use half a one of those. The baby ones are especially great in Asian dishes where you are using soy sauce, shrimp paste and fish sauce which have a lot of salt in them. I do also make my own stock and freeze it, but the baby ones are good enough for something quick.
    Recently I was having trouble finding them in our tiny local Boots so I ordered 4 packets on line. (4 at once to save on postage) They arrived really quickly.
    I hope that is a help!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Knorr do do low sat cubes and granules - I haven't used them so I can't tell you what they're like. I know Tescos stock them.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    As salt is one of the biggest ingredients I would anticipate less taste from a low salt version, so that may be something you have to live with.

My BP is ok so I have no interest in salt reduced products.