How do I stop when I feel !@£4£"#@...

Options
When I'm in the zone, I plan my food well sticking to the calories I'm allowed and so on...

But... sometimes... after a period of hard physical work or maybe a stressful day.. I come over all !@£4£"#@... and feel the need to eat something filling and tasty that pushes me over what I should be aiming for. I know its happening when it does happen, but I find it hard to stop myself having that extra something to eat that I shouldn't.

Does anyone have any tips ?

Replies

• Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? You may be eating too little.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It sounds like finding another outlet for your stress would be really good for you. Mine is the gym. And music. And talking with my friends.

The other thing to consider is using food as medication. If you have a stressful day, your body is already under duress. Please don't treat it poorly by over-eating or eating junk. Why would you take your frustrations out on you?
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Filling and tasty does not actually have to mean super-duper-many calories. It may be 200 kcal over your plan if you add a bit of meat, or maybe a little bit of cheese to an otherwise "on plan" meal. "Filling" comes from three main sources: fibre, protein and fat. Try to fill you meals with fibre rather than fat.

I'm guessing you're after the feeling of comfort food, rather than the taste? That is, the feeling of being really full. The taste can usually be imitated at least in part by other means, but the feeling is harder to get around. Unfortunately it's a trained behaviour deep in the back of your brain. Maybe there is some other thing that can make you feel the same way (A nice cup of tea with a splash of milk and a bit of popcorn works for me, or some fruit depending on what I'm craving)?

Other than that it's the whole "change your mentality" thing that wins the game. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. Some days you are likely going to eat more than others. Try to limit the damage as much as possible (100g of ice cream not a pint, Have only a little bit of rice with your curry and no bread (my preference is no rice and a bit of bread) and so on), but accept it as a rare occurence and move on. See your calorie goal as a weekly or even monthly average to hit. If I go over by 700 kcal, I may go for an extra run or walk, plus eat 50-100 kcal less for a few days. Then no damage is really done.
  • mamaslitpath
    mamaslitpath Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl. ...that is perfect!! Thank you!! WHY WOULD I TAKE MY FRUSTRATIONS OUT ON ME?? Weight loss is more intricate than just eating less. This is an inside job..