I am so sick of caring about how much I eat

Options
There is pulled pork in the fridge and buns on the counter, and I am about ready to stuff my face.

But no. Of course I had a sandwich earlier today and it was way more calories than I had thought when I got it. And what I logged was STILL an estimate so it could have been even higher! Most days I stay around 1200-1300 calories a day, and up until lately it's worked out great! I haven't been overly hungry and only had a few bingey mishaps. For the past 2 weeks or so though I've lost almost all motivation. Hardly working out and really wanting to binge almost every day. I don't know what to do anymore but all I can say is this sucks!!!

Replies

• LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well, not keeping track of I ate led me to be 50 pounds overweight. So, sometimes I don't feel like keeping track. But then I make myself care and I feel much better. This quote that I read somewhere online (or was it MFP) really helps me: being overweight is a challenge; losing weight is a challenge; maintaining weight is a challenge. Pick your challenge.

You can do it. You already went to MFP before eating. You are on the right road my friend.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Probably because you're making your deficit too high. I estimated your BMR (with a height of 5'5") to be 1650. Add in exercise and regular daily physical activity (walking, etc.) you're probably right around 2000 or a little more. 500 calories less than that (for a pound a week) is 1500. Try eating that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Charityn12
    Charityn12 Posts: 268
    Options
    Very nice lulu :flowerforyou:
  • jbse26
    jbse26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly like that when I lost 40lbs on here but didn't have the brains to ask advice- i then couldn't stop over eating and gained back 56lbs!!!! had to begin again this May so please try to get on top of this now. Be careful and you already have some great advice in this thread, I can't add to it but I definitely recommend eating higher calories as suggested but also logging like crazy while you do it. Good luck and stick with it:smile:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Probably because you're making your deficit too high. I estimated your BMR (with a height of 5'5") to be 1650. Add in exercise and regular daily physical activity (walking, etc.) you're probably right around 2000 or a little more. 500 calories less than that (for a pound a week) is 1500. Try eating that.

IDEA Fitness member

This!! ^^^

Read this OP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This.

It doesn't mean I don't get those days too, and sometimes I'll just take a day off, but I've never eaten less than 1600 calories (I'm 35 and 5'5").
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I dropped to 1200 for a little and was fine, but not last week. I had my period and when I went over 1200 I felt guilty. Now I have it at 1440 and it feels like a breeze, I'll probably end up eating closer to 1200 anyway. Mind games!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I used to but nowadays I make sure I work enough to eat. Like yesterday, 2 hours of tennis followed by an hour of strength work. Had two pints of... are you sitting down... full fat 100% sugar coke.
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options

In other words...

Eat that pulled pork and savor every delicious bite!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This.

It doesn't mean I don't get those days too, and sometimes I'll just take a day off, but I've never eaten less than 1600 calories (I'm 35 and 5'5").

Double this^

I don't feel this way any more, but back when I did I had really focus on my priorities. I would put not eating the pulled pork sandwich as number one. If it meant that I had to go to bed, get in the hot tub, go for a walk, have a shower, or anything else that was not condusive with eating the pulled pork sandwich, that's what I did. I even threw away chocolate! Can you even imagine?

Over time, I was less inclined to feel like I needed to eat the pulled pork sandwich until it got to a point where 80% of the time I couldn't care less if it was on the counter or if my husband had already eaten it. Now, if I care only 20% of the time, I know it's ok to eat an extra pulled pork sandwich sometimes. It's what you do most of the time that counts.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This.

Double this^

I don't feel this way any more, but back when I did I had really focus on my priorities. I would put not eating the pulled pork sandwich as number one. If it meant that I had to go to bed, get in the hot tub, go for a walk, have a shower, or anything else that was not condusive with eating the pulled pork sandwich, that's what I did. I even threw away chocolate! Can you even imagine?

Over time, I was less inclined to feel like I needed to eat the pulled pork sandwich until it got to a point where 80% of the time I couldn't care less if it was on the counter or if my husband had already eaten it. Now, if I care only 20% of the time, I know it's ok to eat an extra pulled pork sandwich sometimes. It's what you do most of the time that counts.

This is a good explanation of the progression from being a binger to being a person in control of what they put in their body. You just made a choice to post here on MFP - rather than eat too much. That's on the path to being successful in talking yourself through these times. I agree you may need to adjust your daily calories up a little.

Keep working on being as healthy as possible. It's not all about deprivation - it's about doing your best and working towards your goals. Approximations. We aren't perfect creatures.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This!! ^^^

Read this OP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^^agree! try eating more. your body is probably very very over hungry causing you to have intense cravings and leading to the couple bingey mishaps youve had.
  • Shanshoo
    Shanshoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I canno't eat more than 1200-1300 if I want to lose weight. I do not lose over 1300. And I exercise a lot every single day, and eat super clean. I am never hungry, although I do have some sugar cravings when I'm in my MPS. Sometimes eating more isn't a solution for everyone.

What I know is, by reading your meals I would also be hungry, and would never be able to fit this in my calorie goal for one day and be full. I never eat bread for two meals in a day, they take so much calories and don't keep me full for a very long time.

Plan ahead. I plan my meals the day before, or in the morning when I wake up. I set all 3 major meals (breakfast-lunch-dinner), and then add the snacks, always keeping in mind to have correct macros. If I plan to eat a burger, pulled-pork sandwich, naan bread, panini, tortilla, etc. then I make sure the other 2 meals have none.

Most breads are over 100cal for one serving (minimum, although a few are under that). Some reach the 200+cal (naan bread 300cal). Add a decent serving of proteins, you've already met (or boosted) your calorie goal for this meal. I try to eat around 300cal for the 3 major meals each, then 2x 150cal snacks or 3x 100cal snacks, but I always eat a huge load of veggies and a decent amount of proteins.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've learned that when I'm feeling like I want to gorge it's because my body needs more. Sometimes I cut too far back, workout really hard and then can't figure out why I want to eat the whole bag of trail mix. I've learned, and only want, to gorge on more of the good stuff. Then I don't feel so guilty.:flowerforyou: Don't give up, give yourself a break, but don't stay on break. You can do it!
  • coeurdalenegal
    coeurdalenegal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can sure relate to this, I have been using MFP for 497 days as of today, I lost 49 pounds the first year. But, in the past 100 days or so, I am so sick and tired of weighing and measuring my food. I feel like I'm in prison. I put 10 pounds back on. I still record my food everyday, but the choices and amounts are not as good as they should be. I wish I could find some friends that will jolt me back into the right direction again.
    I have my calorie limit set at 1,580 per day.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Do you think it is because you are trying to stick to1200 cals? Also, try to get some form of exercise. Unless you have some sort of illness/injury or your Dr says that you cannot. You will feel and look better and you'll also be allowed more cals.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't always like keeping track of every single thing I eat myself but not doing that to begin with is what got me in the mess I am now. That's where that "you play you pay" motto comes in. I may not like weighing and measuring everything and pushing back things I really want at times but I don't like being out of shape and overweight even more.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Probably because you're making your deficit too high.

The OP logged 2500 calories yesterday.

What deficit?