Help from the food preppers out there.

Options
Hey guys,

So today I went to the store picked up some weight loss things like a scale, a food scale, and a freakish amount if tubber ware. I know I really need to start good prep because once classes start again I'll be crazy busy and don't want to breakdown and crawl back to fast food. I didn't even get groceries yet because I haven't planned out my meals and I'm not even sure if the rubber ware I got will work right. So my question to you is what kind of meals should I prep? How do you even get started meal prepping? What are portion sizes? I literally have no clue what healthy eating is I mean I know what's bad and what's good fruits and veggies etc but as far as cooking healthy and all this "metabolism boosting" foods yeah I'm clueless. Thanks in advance for any help stay awesome.

Also SN who uses the polar watch and is it a good investment if not what heart rate moniter/calorie counter do you use ?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as metabolism boosting food.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a student cookbook. What kind of food do you like to eat?
  • logg1e
    Options
    Another thought, what are the tupperware containers for? Are you wanting to batch cook in order to keep costs and prep time down?

I ask because you can quickly make up cheap, healthy meals such as omelette and pasta dishes.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    A fast, low calorie and healthy food is the frozen stir-fry veggies. A cup is from 33 to 55 calories, and they will fill you up. Also cooks in about 4 minutes in the microwave. I would add precooked chicken breast to it for the last few seconds. Also the frozen green beans and mixed veggies are good. And a tip for plastic containers. If you ever buy cold cuts, buy the ones in the plastic containers. I have a stack of them that I use to take food to work in. If they get lost or thrown away, no pain as they were free.

Good luck with your life style change, and with classes.

Larro
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you have room in your freezer, make meat entrees (baked chicken--whole or pieces, braised or crockpot beef or pork recipes) or casseroles (like lasagne) with 4-6 servings. You can make a couple recipes on your day off and have dinner meals for a week or more. Make something different each week, and you will have a choice of entrees (the time consuming part) that you can microwave--add a fresh salad or veggies and fruit for a complete meal.

I did this the last year I worked (evenings, so I wanted to take a dinner instead of sandwiches), and it was so nice to be able to grab something homemade and yummy from the freezer, make up a container of cut-up veggies or salad and a fruit, and have my work meal packed in minutes. The frozen dish kept everything else cool until dinnertime.
  • Whos_Rose
    Options
    As far as metabolism boosting foods I've heard like some types of nuts, kale and (I'm probably butchering the spelling) but Quinua are good to help speed up your metabolism also green tea which I drink a cup if every morning and every night. And yes I was planning on preparing a weeks worth of meals just so I can grab them and go before work or class ( no excuse to eat bad) plus I'll only have access to a "kitchen kitchen" about once a week. The rest of the time I'm limited to a fridge/freezer and microwave. As far as the stir fry sounds like an awesome idea! And the containers from cold cuts not quite sure what you meant by that.
  • Whos_Rose
    Options
    Yes I won't have access to a kitchen in my dorm so once a week a need to prepare a weeks worth of good for my dorm
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you're new to cooking and need recipes, use sites online that give reviews and try the recipes that appeal to you that have many positive reviews.

An easy way to keep calories low is to build meals around lean protein and produce, with not much starchy stuff like potatoes and breads and sugar. Nothing wrong with those but they're calorie heavy and not as filling as protein and produce. Alcohol, too.

If you don't have time to cook, or find you don't like it, stick to basics. A healthy sandwich or omelet or soup. Grill a piece of meat or fish and a veggie. A filling salad with meat and cheese and healthy fats. A protein bar or powder for a quick meal in a pinch. Apples or bananas with nut butter and string cheese can be a meal. You don't have to always cook.

Good luck!
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yes I won't have access to a kitchen in my dorm so once a week a need to prepare a weeks worth of good for my dorm

Will you have a meal plan? Sometimes Uni's have nutrition information online.
    I keep yogurt and cereal and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Fresh cut veggies and fruits as side dishes. All are pretty easy to keep in the dorm. Then I like to eat dinner with friends in the cafeteria. You just have to be careful about measuring portions of things like peanut butter.
  • logg1e
    Options
    Stir-fry would require a wok (and a pan if you like to include noodles or rice) and therefore a hob.

With only a fridge and microwave you could do passable jacket potatoes with a variety of fillings.

With some prep time you could add pasta and sauce dishes, stews and casseroles to that. I'd make fried and grilled meals my kitchen time treat.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    For easy microwave meals ,they have the Knorrs flavored pastas and rice that you can microwave, till mostly done , then add in some canned or some pre cooked chicken, or tuna from the pouch or can. Also you can always add in some vegetables. A good dinner in only app 20 minutes. You can vary with other meats , such as frozen turkey sausage.The variations are endless, for easy microwave cooking.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Use MFP to plan ahead and prepare the meals that you'd like to eat...
  • Whos_Rose
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for all of the helpful advice!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com

Look this one up.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html
    Awesome - My wife, kids, and I all love this one.

Freeze the extra in single serving containers.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    closetcooking.com

he's got some pretty good recipes, most are pretty healthy, seasonal and adaptable. sign up for his newsletter.

also, imo, return the plastic tupperware and invest in some glassware that had plastic snapon lids. then you can pop those in the microwave. heating plastic and foods isn't a great idea.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The holy pinterest has many batch freezing, portioning + crockpot recipes.

I am getting mine from there.
  • quzly
    quzly Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can check out my instagram (quzly) for picture of what I've done in the past. I plan it around the number of calories I want to eat, what my goals are in terms of macros (protein, carbs and fats) and what I feel like eating for the week. I would preload it into MFP when I am planning it out to help meet the numbers I wanted to hit. Here's some things I've done.

Breakfast:
    Egg white cups
    Quiche
    Oatmeal Muffins
    Protein Waffles
    Oatmeal

Snacks:
    Boiled Eggs
    Protein Shakes
    Turkey Meatballs
    Hummus and veg
    Edamame

Lunches
    Turkey Chilli
    Burrito bowls: Chicken, brown rice, lettuce, guac, salsa
    Lots of chicken - I'll season it in different ways, measure it out for the week and do it with sides of veg or throw it in salads

Dinners: I really just eat what I have with my husband but I'll watch my portion size. Here are some sites that also might help you get started with ideas.

https://www.skinnymom.com/2014/01/15/skinny-quiche/
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/
    http://aleshahaley.com/2013/11/04/jamie-eason-final-recap-week-12/

Feel free to contact me if you have messages. It's so worth taking the time to do and once you get into a routine it's really easy. :)
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    For easy microwave meals ,they have the Knorrs flavored pastas and rice that you can microwave, till mostly done , then add in some canned or some pre cooked chicken, or tuna from the pouch or can. Also you can always add in some vegetables. A good dinner in only app 20 minutes. You can vary with other meats , such as frozen turkey sausage.The variations are endless, for easy microwave cooking.

And sodium goes to the moon and back. Freezing is the best option.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've read that 85% of people fall into the group that doesn't need to worry about their sodium intake much. It's mostly if you have hypertension that you need to minimize it.
  • Cracken99
    Cracken99 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also rely on Pinterest for idea on meal prep (lots of great ideas using plastic/glass containers for grab and go). There is also nothing wrong with eating the same thing a few days in a row. I would grill some chicken breasts flavored with Mrs. Dash. Buy some frozen brown rice from trader joes, cans of black beans, frozen corn, Hard boiled eggs, pre-made salad, Stir fry veggies, whole grain bread and cold cuts, condiments. You can mix and match all of these for cold or hot lunches. I also love overnight oats for a grab and go breakfast.

As far as portions, you have your scale. I usually go for 3oz of protein a meal and keep each meal at about 400 calories with snacks in between. Weigh and measure everything!! This is where meal prep is so handy, no guessing because you are in a rush.