How do you deal with family trying to make you eat?

Options
I should start off by saying I am NOT starving myself. I'm actually increasing my calorie intake.
Summer's ending and we've been going out a lot, visiting family and friends. My family is big on barbecue.
I have no clue about the calorie content. I'm horrible at guessing ounces, I can't weigh the food, nor see the packaging (a lot of it was actually caught personally). It's big pieces I meat slathered in sauce (which a hate) and bags upon bags of potato chips (which I don't like so much). I don't want to eat it, and I'm wary of food that I don't know the calorie content of.
My parents and grandparents won't leave me alone about not eating their. They keep trying to pressure me. They'll ask me if I'm dieting. I'd really just rather eat at home. How can I get them to stop pressuring me?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Tell them you don't like the sauce. The meat itself should be fine as long as you keep an eye on the fat.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with similar issues. I try and make it about me and not them - "I'm not hungry," "I'm not in the mood right now," "I'm feeling satisfied," "I had a big lunch." Eventually most reasonable people will get the drift.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. My family are food pushers too. Is it possible for you to bring a lower calorie dish like a nice Greek salad or something that everyone can enjoy? Pair that with a small serving of meat and ask for no sauce. That's the best advice I have because I struggle with my family like that too ;)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If your not willing to fix a plate with portions that are reasonable enough to still enjoy a meal with your family then the best you can do is stand up in front of ALL of them and tell them you are measuring and weighing out your food and do not feel comfortable eating foods you do not know the calorie totals and that you would prefer they do not pressure you to eat their food... Honestly it is your only choice if you 1. are not going to eat the food they have and 2. Want them to not pressure you everytime you go to one of these cookouts... I personally would eat a light breakfast and lunch and go to the cook out and fix a plate that I felt was reasonable and enjoy the food with my family and get back on track the next day... But that is just me... Best of Luck
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Honey, you're 19 with only 4 pounds left to lose (according to your ticker). Perhaps the concern of your parents and grandparents are more about your obsession over what you eat or won't eat.

You are basically at your goal weight. Why all the worry about food? Eat healthy, do some exercise that you enjoy, go to classes, hang out with your friends. Try and develop a healthier relationship with your body now. :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Honey, you're 19 with only 4 pounds left to lose (according to your ticker). Perhaps the concern of your parents and grandparents are more about your obsession over what you eat or won't eat.

You are basically at your goal weight. Why all the worry about food? Eat healthy, do some exercise that you enjoy, go to classes, hang out with your friends. Try and develop a healthier relationship with your body now. :flowerforyou:

This
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

This!