Can wisdom teeth extraction cause slight weight gain?

Options
I got my wisdom teeth out on friday. and my mouth is very swollen. I have been eating 1200 net calories as usual. I weighed myself last sunday and I was 134.6. Today was my weigh in day (first time trying weighing myself once a week) and I was very excited about it. I weighed 134.6 today!!! I don't know why this is! I haven't eaten enough to gain any water weight. I am really upset because I have been looking forward to this day. I eat back all my excersize calories, but only burn up to 350 cal a day. I really don't know what I did wrong.
Also I normally save about 600 calories for dinner time, so I eat them pretty late...around 7pm.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You'll have to learn to deal with weeks and even longer without losses. They occur all the time, especially in small people. It sucks but don't let the scale be your report card. Keep doing what you're doing and move on. Too many factors affect the scale besides what you ate. Water weight can occur for many reasons and you can't always control it. Chalk it up to 'water' and move on.

The last 5 lbs. takes a lot of people a long time because you have very little wiggle room with your calorie estimates, especially when you're 'eating back'.

Good luck!
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    Options
    Thanks for the support and advice!
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes, in fact when you cut your nails or hair you gain weight! It's unbelievable!
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    Options
    Supertact if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all. Don't you have anything better to do with your time? How pathetic
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I think anything that is a trauma to your body can cause water retention. It's a natural inflammatory response, I think.

You may have moved less last week, too, due to not feeling well?
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    Options
    Yeah I haven't been able to be as active. And hopefully it's water retention!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It is common for many people to do everything right and still not lose any weight for a few weeks. Your body will release the weight when it is ready. Three weeks ago, I loss 3.4 lbs. There isn't any way in hell I lost 3.4 x 3,500 = 11,900 calories in one week. The point is my body was ready to release the weight it was holding onto from the prior several weeks. I haven't loss any weight over the last two weeks. I will see a loss over the next two weeks. This is the typical way my body functions. Don’t stress over normal body fluctuations. Focus on making sure you are eating the correct amount of calories to lose weight, get in some exercise, adequate water/fluid, and rest/sleep. If you do these things and have patience then the weight will drop.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I lose in big chunks like that, too, even toward the end.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • auriga2
    auriga2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you've been taking any kinds of pain medication, that can make you gain weight too. Just a thought.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Swelling from the surgery itself plus any water retention from pain meds you might be taking can certainly cause a little gain on the scale. That said, so can how much you drank, when you last pooped, time of the month for girls, etc. etc. Little stalls and gains are not to be worried about if the long term trend is still in the right direction.
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone! I feel a lot better. I am on Vicodin so maybe that causes weight gain..I'll just continue to be patient and keep eating at a deficit.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    If it's significant Vicodin it might cause you to log wrong, too. :tongue:
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    Options
    lol it does make me a little loopy
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I got my wisdom teeth out on friday. and my mouth is very swollen. I have been eating 1200 net calories as usual. I weighed myself last sunday and I was 134.6. Today was my weigh in day (first time trying weighing myself once a week) and I was very excited about it. I weighed 134.6 today!!! I don't know why this is! I haven't eaten enough to gain any water weight. I am really upset because I have been looking forward to this day. I eat back all my excersize calories, but only burn up to 350 cal a day. I really don't know what I did wrong.
    Also I normally save about 600 calories for dinner time, so I eat them pretty late...around 7pm.
    You didn't gain weight, you stayed the same. Weight loss is not linear and you will not lose every single week.

What you're doing wrong is not having patience.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself last sunday and I was 134.6. Today was my weigh in day (first time trying weighing myself once a week) and I was very excited about it. I weighed 134.6 today!!!

How is this a "slight weight gain"? It looks like the same number to me.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I figured she meant she should've lost fat due to her deficit but gained water due to the procedure, offsetting her fat loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I figured she meant she should've lost fat due to her deficit but gained water due to the procedure, offsetting her fat loss.
    Understood, but weight loss is not linear under any circumstances. You can eat at a calorie deficit and retain water, or you can eat slightly over and still lose weight. While the OP could have water retention due to the anesthesia or pain medication, or even the stress of having your wisdom teeth pulled, it could also be done of those things at all and simply that she did not gain or lose this particular week.